Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No More Ovechkin Autographs For UD?

Take a look at the checklist for 08/09 Ice, and the newly posted 08/09 Champs, and you'll notice Ovechkin doesn't have a single autograph in either product. A while back in a chat session on another hobby site Chris Carlin from Upper Deck stated while answering a question about autographs that basically a player approached them during the All-Star festivities while they were doing signings and told them he would not have the time to sign for UD anymore. No names were named, but could it really be a coincidence that Ovechkin has disappeared from two products since that statement?

I don't know what the rules are like here for posting links to other sites, so I won't post the link to the transcript in case it gets me in trouble.

This is only speculation of course, and I originally considered this when I found out he wasn't on the Ice checklist, but since the Champs checklist just came out I'm finding it hard to believe it's a coincidence that the biggest hobby star going right now was left out by UD on purpose twice in a row.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

well, that means if he stops signing any autograph of his will be very good. Im SAVING MINE (07-08 be player auto)

hopefully he keeps signing if anyone stops have it be a coyote (other than turris) and all the predators( no offense to pred fans but no real superstar good autos to get)

WOHOO CLASS OF 2009 HERE!!!!! (High school next yr)
Bruinsbreaka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow that's interesting. I sometimes think about how many times these players have to sign autographs. You think with SPx and SPA alone the rookie's hands would be worn out.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Wow that's interesting. I sometimes think about how many times these players have to sign autographs. You think with SPx and SPA alone the rookie's hands would be worn out.
No doubt! And if this is indeed true, I welcome it - at least for a nice break from chasing down AO cards.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERUSSIANRCKT View Post
No doubt! And if this is indeed true, I welcome it - at least for a nice break from chasing down AO cards.

LOL... Love the rumors.. AO is not going to stop signing. He may stop signing low end cards thats why he isn't in the 2 products you mentioned above. He will be included in High end Sets Cup,Ultimate etc.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacardi2 View Post
LOL... Love the rumors.. AO is not going to stop signing. He may stop signing low end cards thats why he isn't in the 2 products you mentioned above. He will be included in High end Sets Cup,Ultimate etc.
I agree with this. I think it would hurt the sales of the higher end products if he wasn't signing. It would suck big time if you bought a tin of the cup, knowing you have no chance at getting an AO auto.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobert1205 View Post
I agree with this. I think it would hurt the sales of the higher end products if he wasn't signing. It would suck big time if you bought a tin of the cup, knowing you have no chance at getting an AO auto.
exactly....... UD would pay AO 2x what they are paying him currently if they had to to keep sales up. Ovechkin is not a lazy guy. come on gizzz
Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I wonder how much guys get paid for signing cards? That would be some interesting info to know. Do retired guys get more than current players? Do they get paid per card? Food for thought.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

An update on this: A very reputable member of the hobby (LogoPatchCards) spoke to Chris Carlin from Upper Deck and he confirmed Ovechkin wasn't the player who stepped down at the All-Star game, he is simply in the midst of a new contract and therefor was left out of a couple of products in the meantime.

Rumor settled!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yea how can they not have time to sign some cards ? i bet its money, UD dont pay them in time and thats why they stop bother, simple as that.
mortuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

I know with my own shift work schedule I wouldn't feel like sitting down and signing thousands of cards and stickers. I can't even imagine what it's like for those guys traveling all over North America and jumping from hotel to hotel in between games, practicing, doing publicity work for their teams, handling endorsement responsibilities, etc. I'm sure they are a lot busier than the average person, and staring at a huge stack of cards to sign can't be very motivational in your down-time. Unless of course, they are making good money for it.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I know with my own shift work schedule I wouldn't feel like sitting down and signing thousands of cards and stickers. I can't even imagine what it's like for those guys traveling all over North America and jumping from hotel to hotel in between games, practicing, doing publicity work for their teams, handling endorsement responsibilities, etc. I'm sure they are a lot busier than the average person, and staring at a huge stack of cards to sign can't be very motivational in your down-time. Unless of course, they are making good money for it.
I'm sure the stars get some good $$$ for each auto the sign. Not that they need the extra money or anything.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dude - how tough is it??

Bring your laptop on the plane with you, pop in a movie, break out the sharpie and start signing -

With all of the travel that these guys do they have the time...
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

I dont think he knows how to spell his name anymore lol

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote