Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default young guns or future watch?

Which rookie cards do you think hold the most value for the long term----- SP Authentic autographed Future Watch rookies or Young Guns?
benmitchell1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you can get the Future Watch for close to the Young Guns, I'd do it, I think the wind is eventually going to come out from the Young Guns set.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

What makes you think that? The set is annually one of the most sought after inserts and if you look back at Crosby's, for example, from 05/06 it's going for ridiculous amounts. If any of these rookies pan out to be even close to Crosby, then even previous sets, not just RNH Landeskog etc will be worth a lot. This set will hold up, but so will future watch to a certain degree.

It's a matter of the possibility of a player blowing up. I have a James Reimer YG that I got in a pack at wal mart. At the time, I said "who the hell is this guy?" and now that card goes for 10-20$ or so. Just a small example of how someone can go from unknown to starter and become one of those guys that everyone wants to get their hands on, it might just take a year or two (or three).
Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Look, I've been as bullish as anyone has been on Young Guns. They come out of the gate like they are on fire but then they cool off. Taylor Hall is $40. Taylor f--king Hall is a $40 Young Gun.

If you can get the Future Watch autograph for the same price or close to the same price as the Young Gun, long term I think its a better buy.

I can't make up my mind so I buy both
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Look, I've been as bullish as anyone has been on Young Guns. They come out of the gate like they are on fire but then they cool off. Taylor Hall is $40. Taylor f--king Hall is a $40 Young Gun.

If you can get the Future Watch autograph for the same price or close to the same price as the Young Gun, long term I think its a better buy.

I can't make up my mind so I buy both
$40 bucks for a card that's probably got 6000 copies is pretty good.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post
$40 bucks for a card that's probably got 6000 copies is pretty good.
My point is that unless they become an uber-star, that is the ceiling. Also, we don't know how many Taylor Hall Young Guns are actually out there. 6000 presumes a case run of 5000. Maybe, maybe not.

There are only 999 Taylor Hall Future Watch autos. There will only be 999 of them. I think long term, the Future Watch is a better investment.

But if I'm wrong, I've got 2-3 of each.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

From what ive seen, future watch seem to hold much higher value (long-term) than young guns. Although I'd much rather buy a young gun than a future watch card, auto'd rookies will almost always hold more stable value than non-auto'd rookies.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

How can you compare these two products and specifically SP Authentic and Young Guns when one is a # Auto card and the other is just a Rookie card? Obviously the # Auto card would hold more value regardless of the release, however I prefer the Young Guns as they are typically more bang for the buck IMO. But I do agree when in doubt just get 1 of each!
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
How can you compare these two products and specifically SP Authentic and Young Guns when one is a # Auto card and the other is just a Rookie card? Obviously the # Auto card would hold more value regardless of the release, however I prefer the Young Guns as they are typically more bang for the buck IMO. But I do agree when in doubt just get 1 of each!
Or 10
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

What about the Canvas variation that UD added this year? More likely to keep the YG drive going? Obviously SPA FW will be more sought after because of on-card autographs.
38stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38stud View Post
What about the Canvas variation that UD added this year? More likely to keep the YG drive going? Obviously SPA FW will be more sought after because of on-card autographs.
Last year's retro parallel seemed to be a 1.5x multiplier. I expected more, but they aren't rookie cards so it gets a lot of the "Beckett Rookie Card Definition Zombies" out of the game.

I think the Canvas is one of the nicest parallels I've ever seen, wish it was a full parallel set, I'd finish it.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Last year's retro parallel seemed to be a 1.5x multiplier. I expected more, but they aren't rookie cards so it gets a lot of the "Beckett Rookie Card Definition Zombies" out of the game.

I think the Canvas is one of the nicest parallels I've ever seen, wish it was a full parallel set, I'd finish it.
Agreed these Canvas cards are beautiful especially the ones depicting the Bruins with the Cup (Bergeron/Chara) I am putting the regular 100 card set together, not sure if I will chase the entire Rookie Set, but this get's my Vote for "subset/parallel" of the year.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed these Canvas cards are beautiful especially the ones depicting the Bruins with the Cup (Bergeron/Chara) I am putting the regular 100 card set together, not sure if I will chase the entire Rookie Set, but this get's my Vote for "subset/parallel" of the year.
I could have lived without that one card . I'll look and see what dupes I have for ya.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I could have lived without that one card . I'll look and see what dupes I have for ya.
Thanks, I have an extra M A Fleury, forget if your a Pens or Flyers Fan, if a Pens Fan my B's just finished em off! Regardless of who you follow you have to admit the Bruins are playing some pretty solid Hockey! Let me know I'll shoot it your way if needed.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, I have an extra M A Fleury, forget if your a Pens or Flyers Fan, if a Pens Fan my B's just finished em off! Regardless of who you follow you have to admit the Bruins are playing some pretty solid Hockey! Let me know I'll shoot it your way if needed.
Islander fans never admit anything, its how we keep watching.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Islander fans never admit anything, its how we keep watching.
HaHa, I do remember the day's when Hockey ruled out on the island! When are they going to build you guy's a new barn, caught a game out there last year and could not believe that place has not changed at all! Great game for Moulson the other night
Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
HaHa, I do remember the day's when Hockey ruled out on the island! When are they going to build you guy's a new barn, caught a game out there last year and could not believe that place has not changed at all! Great game for Moulson the other night
There is a brand new stadium in Kansas City. There isn't a bad seat in the coliseum, you just wonder if that game is going to be the day where the stadium collapses in on itself.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Unfortunately all YG's are gonna be based on Sidney "quiet room" Crosby YG RC. But then again if RNH keeps going the way he is going he may surpass the "Weak One"........lol

The Future Watch ARP's will hold value better than the YG's IMO.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
Unfortunately all YG's are gonna be based on Sidney "quiet room" Crosby YG RC. But then again if RNH keeps going the way he is going he may surpass the "Weak One"........lol

The Future Watch ARP's will hold value better than the YG's IMO.

Well that is quite a ceiling. I look at A.O. and figure that if a YG goes above that card in selling price, it isn't likely to stay there long.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Do both and be a boss.
Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

I thought the discussion was based more on non-auto future watch vs. Young Guns. Obviously autographs are going to be more valuable versions of selected players. Just as far as base, non auto future watch and young guns, young gun's holds value better and I don't see any reason this would change in the future. Autographed future watch is a different story.