Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Default Enforcers Takes on New Meaning

Seems like our Enforcers product is taking on a new meaning.

It is becoming the whipping boy for everything the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation sees wrong with the game of hockey.

Read for yourself:

Bloody hockey cards celebrate NHL enforcers - Manitoba - CBC News

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

The fake blood splattering seems pretty tacky, but other than that I see nothing wrong with celebrating a part of the game.

Takes me back to one of my favorite hockey sets of all time, 2000/01 ITG Tough Materials:

Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jeez, sounds like ms. Belak is quite upset . I personally don't understand the outcry of hatred, but my opinion may be a bit biased, being that I am a collector.

Last edited by GoJays; 12-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds to me like this release is already becoming famous. I might have to pick up a case or two.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Enforcers have a place in hockey, but the suicides of Belak, Rypien and Boogaard within a few months of each other make this a touchy subject and I can see how many could see a release like this as fanning the flames of controversy, or trying to profit on their memories.

If you have time, I strongly suggest reading the three part piece that the NY Times had on Derek Boogaard recently. It was pretty eye opening.

Part 1 - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sp...pagewanted=all

Part 2 - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/sp...pagewanted=all

Part 3 - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sp...pagewanted=all
rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know I am looking foward to this set. I see a partial autograph checklist is up and I hope Dennis Bonvie will be on the final list since he isn't on it yet. If not, I will have to go after his GU cards
Da_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

"I'm not glorifying violence.".......... yet the cards have blood splatter. Nice.
stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Please tell me you included Dave Brown autos and game used in this.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Based on my reading of the original CBC piece, I predict that at a minimum the blood spatters go - given that it is Canada and free speech is not quite as protected there as in USA, I could also see a court case here that would attempt to prevent release/sale of cards. Just sayin'....
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Based on my reading of the original CBC piece, I predict that at a minimum the blood spatters go - given that it is Canada and free speech is not quite as protected there as in USA, I could also see a court case here that would attempt to prevent release/sale of cards. Just sayin'....
Then it might be smart to order some boxes or cases ASAP.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Did they really think this wouldn't cause a controversy when they decided to add blood splatter to these cards? Making a set for enforcers is fine, but the blood splatter is really unnecessary. They make it seem like these guys get busted open everytime they get into a fight, which is wrong, so the blood seems pretty pointless to me.
jayjay0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

If crowds cheer when they see blood in hockey, I see nothing wrong with printed blood on these cards. It's probably not that far away from an accurate depiction of some sort.

Remember, these won't be on shelves in Wal-Mart or Target. It's not likely kids will be buying these. In my opinion, this set is more targeted at veteran, adult collectors.

If hockey allowed/allows fighting, there's nothing wrong with these cards, in my opinion. When I was a kid, it was believed that if you became a hockey player, you would lose all your teeth. I didn't get that idea from collecting cards.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
If crowds cheer when they see blood in hockey, I see nothing wrong with printed blood on these cards. It's probably not that far away from an accurate depiction of some sort.

Remember, these won't be on shelves in Wal-Mart or Target. It's not likely kids will be buying these. In my opinion, this set is more targeted at veteran, adult collectors.

If hockey allowed/allows fighting, there's nothing wrong with these cards, in my opinion. When I was a kid, it was believed that if you became a hockey player, you would lose all your teeth. I didn't get that idea from collecting cards.
When do crowds cheer when they see blood in hockey? They cheer for the fight itself to pump up the team, not because they want to see someone bleed.
jayjay0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay0122 View Post
When do crowds cheer when they see blood in hockey? They cheer for the fight itself to pump up the team, not because they want to see someone bleed.
I hope you're right, although I imagine there are people that like seeing blood.

How many times have we heard, "I think there's blood on that memorabilia piece!", in an excited way?

Some people like seeing blood. It's been that way since the beginning of time.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

There will be as many people that like the product as there will that don't. I think it adds some character to cards which lately have been lacking a little. It takes balls to make a product like this and you have my respect for the innovation. I'm not sure about fake blood on actual game used jersey but its a jump in the right direction. Cool stuff.
yeffromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeffromaniac View Post
There will be as many people that like the product as there will that don't. I think it adds some character to cards which lately have been lacking a little. It takes balls to make a product like this and you have my respect for the innovation. I'm not sure about fake blood on actual game used jersey but its a jump in the right direction. Cool stuff.
I imagine almost every collector of hockey will love the set, whereas the haters will be modern hockey fans/skeptics (people who want fighting/hitting gone). I think this pays respect to the unsung heroes of the sport. I personally don't see a problem, but I can see why others would.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

As much as it pains me to say this I agree with Wheeler and Brian Price on this one.Enforcers are part of the game. If not for the enforcers players like Gretzky,Sakic and Jagr would have been run through on a nightly basis. Some people need to get a grip,they are hockey cards for gods sake. I have been known to give Brian Price a difficult time on here but I am a big enough person to give credit when it is due. And its due here because this is a great idea,great concept and great theme to do for a set. I dont think I will ever get into the Sportkings stuff but I will be buying some of this product for sure.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sweet product. Can't wait. Has full auto checklist been posted yet? are they sticker autos?
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Updated checklist is out. I see Dave Brown has been added.
Huge to get him in it. Any chance ITG could tweet a picture of his card, has he done his signing? I know he was a redemption in Panini Tough Times and I've heard his card isn't going to be made for it. So this will be he first cert auto I know of.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

FYI...Group Break has been posted...waiting for Blowout to check my numbers and approve