Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never opened hockey before....

But I think I'm going to try a box of something out while on vacation. I am 95% football and don't follow hockey a ton. If you were me, what would you open if you want something mid-high end? I like busting things that have the potential for a nice return but I really just enjoy busting wax so there isn't one specific thing I'm looking for. Any preferences from the Hockey guys?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mid-end: certified, ud series one, or artifacts (in that order). For high end, there are really only 2: panini's dominion and UD's crown jewel The Cup (in no order). Personally I'd go with the cup because I have a grudge against panini hockey, but dominion has delivered some very nice cards in the past.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd go with Artifacts, dominon and the cup you are looking to sepnd $300-$400 when you are just starting with hockey. Artifacts delivers nice hits, and for $90-$100 its a nice product.

Cam
camroy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Artifacts for sure!
Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Upper Deck Series One, you will pay $25-35 less a box than Certified and Artifacts and your potential for return on investment is far greater with a nice selection of Young Guns available.
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Upper Deck Series One, you will pay $25-35 less a box than Certified and Artifacts and your potential for return on investment is far greater with a nice selection of Young Guns available.
Of course the possibility of making under $10 back is also much higher with UD Series One. I prefer artifacts mainly because that has happened to me on more than one occasion.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Pricing i think ranks the highest. Everyone has their preferences.

I'm more of an ITG guy. Box Tops are collectible (always helps get a little extra back). Heroes and Prospects is one of my favorite products. Some of the best patches you'll ever see. All prospect based (and you'll come close to a base set typically) - so a rip and flip isnt always best

Between the Pipes is all goalie based and has a larger base set but the inserts can sell well (especially emeralds since they're mislabeled 1/1's there's a buyback on them and some player collectors are still seeking them)
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Pricing i think ranks the highest. Everyone has their preferences.

I'm more of an ITG guy. Box Tops are collectible (always helps get a little extra back). Heroes and Prospects is one of my favorite products. Some of the best patches you'll ever see. All prospect based (and you'll come close to a base set typically) - so a rip and flip isnt always best

Between the Pipes is all goalie based and has a larger base set but the inserts can sell well (especially emeralds since they're mislabeled 1/1's there's a buyback on them and some player collectors are still seeking them)
Fish, I have to agree with the H & P, I have pulled by far some of my best Game Used cards, and it actually tell's me where the Jersey/Patch comes from, a pretty novel idea in the card industry indeed
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

<$100 artifacts no brainer, >$100 dominion or the Cup. Just depends on what you're wanting to spend. The Cup is going to be the most expensive but also the most consistent. Dominion can potentially be better than the Cup, just depends on what kind of box you get. Artifacts is so solid again this year, your chances at a patch are good and one auto per box. But high end if you're willing to spend it, go with the Cup. If you can't afford that, Dominion. If you can't afford that either, Artifacts or Upper Deck Series 1 as a last resort.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckilgor5 View Post
<$100 artifacts no brainer, >$100 dominion or the Cup. Just depends on what you're wanting to spend. The Cup is going to be the most expensive but also the most consistent. Dominion can potentially be better than the Cup, just depends on what kind of box you get. Artifacts is so solid again this year, your chances at a patch are good and one auto per box. But high end if you're willing to spend it, go with the Cup. If you can't afford that, Dominion. If you can't afford that either, Artifacts or Upper Deck Series 1 as a last resort.
I would not get too excited over the Artifacts Auto prospect, they are typically $2-$5 Autos'
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
I would not get too excited over the Artifacts Auto prospect, they are typically $2-$5 Autos'
Best case scenario, get a veteran auto. There are a few decent names on the autofacts list too. And the rookie redemption. I mean as far as a sub $100 box, at least you get an auto, in UD you're hoping for a SP jersey and a good batch of Young Guns.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckilgor5 View Post
Best case scenario, get a veteran auto. There are a few decent names on the autofacts list too. And the rookie redemption. I mean as far as a sub $100 box, at least you get an auto, in UD you're hoping for a SP jersey and a good batch of Young Guns.
The most frustrating thing about S1 is that they put the exact same young guns together in each box. If you get a Henrique, get ready for juggernauts yann sauve and brenden nash. Just sucks that they literally took the fun out of looking for an RNH.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksBraves View Post
The most frustrating thing about S1 is that they put the exact same young guns together in each box. If you get a Henrique, get ready for juggernauts yann sauve and brenden nash. Just sucks that they literally took the fun out of looking for an RNH.
Yea, been that way for years, what I do like is it seems the way they are grouped you typically pull 1-2 YG that sell for $10-15 per box, and the canvas cards are great IMO with the chance of pulling a good rookie canvas. And you can get the Hockey Heroes Header card or portrait. So for $65.00-$70.00 I have been getting at least 50-60% return with 2 RNH pulls out of 8 Boxes I have done pretty good. Have a RNH Young Gun closing on Ebay tonight at 10:00 EST, a shamless plug for my Auction!