Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
boxbust421's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,622
Default Never opened hockey before....

But I think I'm going to try a box of something out while on vacation. I am 95% football and don't follow hockey a ton. If you were me, what would you open if you want something mid-high end? I like busting things that have the potential for a nice return but I really just enjoy busting wax so there isn't one specific thing I'm looking for. Any preferences from the Hockey guys?
__________________
1/26--Just listed a bunch of auctions. Click the ebay icon to check them out. Football, Basketball and Hockey
http://s1080.photobucket.com/home/boxbust421/index
boxbust421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,686
Default

Mid-end: certified, ud series one, or artifacts (in that order). For high end, there are really only 2: panini's dominion and UD's crown jewel The Cup (in no order). Personally I'd go with the cup because I have a grudge against panini hockey, but dominion has delivered some very nice cards in the past.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 545
Default

I'd go with Artifacts, dominon and the cup you are looking to sepnd $300-$400 when you are just starting with hockey. Artifacts delivers nice hits, and for $90-$100 its a nice product.

Cam
camroy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Bamboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 582
Default

Artifacts for sure!
Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,715
Default

Upper Deck Series One, you will pay $25-35 less a box than Certified and Artifacts and your potential for return on investment is far greater with a nice selection of Young Guns available.
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Upper Deck Series One, you will pay $25-35 less a box than Certified and Artifacts and your potential for return on investment is far greater with a nice selection of Young Guns available.
Of course the possibility of making under $10 back is also much higher with UD Series One. I prefer artifacts mainly because that has happened to me on more than one occasion.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
iluvfish2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 22,267
Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default

Pricing i think ranks the highest. Everyone has their preferences.

I'm more of an ITG guy. Box Tops are collectible (always helps get a little extra back). Heroes and Prospects is one of my favorite products. Some of the best patches you'll ever see. All prospect based (and you'll come close to a base set typically) - so a rip and flip isnt always best

Between the Pipes is all goalie based and has a larger base set but the inserts can sell well (especially emeralds since they're mislabeled 1/1's there's a buyback on them and some player collectors are still seeking them)
__________________
Blowouts Resident Wade Boggs Super Collector
iluvfish2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Pricing i think ranks the highest. Everyone has their preferences.

I'm more of an ITG guy. Box Tops are collectible (always helps get a little extra back). Heroes and Prospects is one of my favorite products. Some of the best patches you'll ever see. All prospect based (and you'll come close to a base set typically) - so a rip and flip isnt always best

Between the Pipes is all goalie based and has a larger base set but the inserts can sell well (especially emeralds since they're mislabeled 1/1's there's a buyback on them and some player collectors are still seeking them)
Fish, I have to agree with the H & P, I have pulled by far some of my best Game Used cards, and it actually tell's me where the Jersey/Patch comes from, a pretty novel idea in the card industry indeed
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
ckilgor5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,648
Default

<$100 artifacts no brainer, >$100 dominion or the Cup. Just depends on what you're wanting to spend. The Cup is going to be the most expensive but also the most consistent. Dominion can potentially be better than the Cup, just depends on what kind of box you get. Artifacts is so solid again this year, your chances at a patch are good and one auto per box. But high end if you're willing to spend it, go with the Cup. If you can't afford that, Dominion. If you can't afford that either, Artifacts or Upper Deck Series 1 as a last resort.
__________________
I collect Carolina Hurricanes (Cam Ward, Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, Justin Faulk, etc.), Atlanta Braves Jason Heyward and Clayton Kershaw.
ckilgor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckilgor5 View Post
<$100 artifacts no brainer, >$100 dominion or the Cup. Just depends on what you're wanting to spend. The Cup is going to be the most expensive but also the most consistent. Dominion can potentially be better than the Cup, just depends on what kind of box you get. Artifacts is so solid again this year, your chances at a patch are good and one auto per box. But high end if you're willing to spend it, go with the Cup. If you can't afford that, Dominion. If you can't afford that either, Artifacts or Upper Deck Series 1 as a last resort.
I would not get too excited over the Artifacts Auto prospect, they are typically $2-$5 Autos'
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
ckilgor5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
I would not get too excited over the Artifacts Auto prospect, they are typically $2-$5 Autos'
Best case scenario, get a veteran auto. There are a few decent names on the autofacts list too. And the rookie redemption. I mean as far as a sub $100 box, at least you get an auto, in UD you're hoping for a SP jersey and a good batch of Young Guns.
__________________
I collect Carolina Hurricanes (Cam Ward, Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, Justin Faulk, etc.), Atlanta Braves Jason Heyward and Clayton Kershaw.
ckilgor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckilgor5 View Post
Best case scenario, get a veteran auto. There are a few decent names on the autofacts list too. And the rookie redemption. I mean as far as a sub $100 box, at least you get an auto, in UD you're hoping for a SP jersey and a good batch of Young Guns.
The most frustrating thing about S1 is that they put the exact same young guns together in each box. If you get a Henrique, get ready for juggernauts yann sauve and brenden nash. Just sucks that they literally took the fun out of looking for an RNH.
__________________
I collect Blackhawks and Braves. Always looking to add to the budding hockey collection.
HawksBraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksBraves View Post
The most frustrating thing about S1 is that they put the exact same young guns together in each box. If you get a Henrique, get ready for juggernauts yann sauve and brenden nash. Just sucks that they literally took the fun out of looking for an RNH.
Yea, been that way for years, what I do like is it seems the way they are grouped you typically pull 1-2 YG that sell for $10-15 per box, and the canvas cards are great IMO with the chance of pulling a good rookie canvas. And you can get the Hockey Heroes Header card or portrait. So for $65.00-$70.00 I have been getting at least 50-60% return with 2 RNH pulls out of 8 Boxes I have done pretty good. Have a RNH Young Gun closing on Ebay tonight at 10:00 EST, a shamless plug for my Auction!
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.