Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ottawa Fans Must REALLY Care About the All-Star Game!

2012 NHL All-Star Game starters -- four Ottawa Senators, one Toronto Maple Leaf, one Boston Bruin - ESPN

Jeez...I had no idea fans could vote!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Since it's in Ottawa this year, I'm sure the front office wanted to make sure their players played.
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure too much should be read into the starters given that it's a homer crowd. Nice PR for the Sens, though!
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to boombaby_rm31

i dont know what to say..

@boombaby_rm31
boombaby_rm31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

You would hope that the hometown fans would vote their players in. I am sure if the game was in Winnipeg, there would be 3 or 4 Thrashers....err....Jets voted in as starters.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's not like the players voted in were undeserving. Spezza and Karlsson are both having great years (Karlsson has been the best d-man in the NHL this year) and alfie is probably in his final year and is the best captain in the NHL right now.

Glad dion got in as well Got my tix lined up for skills contest and asg
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Are the Senators even any good. I only saw Duchene for the Avalanche made it and hes hurt so the Avs probably wont have player in it which is sad. Giguerre has played good all year so im shocked he got no love but hed have to be top 3 or 4 and he probably hasnt done that
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosFAN#1 View Post
Are the Senators even any good. I only saw Duchene for the Avalanche made it and hes hurt so the Avs probably wont have player in it which is sad. Giguerre has played good all year so im shocked he got no love but hed have to be top 3 or 4 and he probably hasnt done that
They have a pretty good team. They HAD the top goal scorer in the NHL (until he got hurt ), they have the best defenseman in the NHL, the best captain in the NHL, and one of the top scorers in the NHL. All-Star wise we have a pretty good team here. A young team though. Should be pretty good in a couple of years.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm sorry but Chara > Karlsson and it's not even a competition.

Karlsson is a +1 for crying out loud...that is terrible for a defenseman.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I'm sorry but Chara > Karlsson and it's not even a competition.

Karlsson is a +1 for crying out loud...that is terrible for a defenseman.
Listen, it's a valid debate that chara is better, but I'd take Karlsson over Chara any day. Look at his points for crying out loud. He's 2nd in the NHL in assists. He's also top of defensemen scoring by a long shot. He's got some pretty strong numbers supporting him, and he doesn't have a Stanley Cup team behind him making him look better, like Chara does. Karlsson also isn't even in the prime of his career. This is only his 3rd NHL season, yet he's still almost a point per game player. Karlsson's offensive numbers kick the crap out of Chara's, and like I said, Karlsson's still a very young player.

Karlsson > Chara any day of the week, and it's not even close.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to shephech

honestly plus/minus isn't a huge statistic really... sure Chara is a great defensive dmen no arguement there but his numbers are also helped because he plays on a amazing defensive team too, Karlsson on the other hand does not play on a dominant defensive team so his plus one actually is decent and his offensive skills are off the wall!.

right now Karlsson deserves the vote over Big Z but Karlsson had the inside edge as it is playing in his home barn... if you look at top teams they usually play great d and their players always lead the plus/minus category because the team is on top because they play better team defense, score more, less goals against therefor have a better p/m.

I am not saying it's not a good stat but i think it says more about the bruins team d then Chara's abilities which granted are still amazing and he deserves to be there and will!

Shep
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to shephech

I'm happy if Lupul, Kessel & Dion are there all deserving!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
They have a pretty good team. They HAD the top goal scorer in the NHL (until he got hurt ), they have the best defenseman in the NHL, the best captain in the NHL, and one of the top scorers in the NHL. All-Star wise we have a pretty good team here. A young team though. Should be pretty good in a couple of years.
Lol this is funny to read. Can I have what you're smoking?

The best goal scorer? I didn't know the Sens had either Kessel or Stamkos at one point...
The best dman? Did the Sens ever have Nik Lidstrom this year?
Best captain? Sorry but that's Toews

I'm not gonna take away anything from Karlsson though, he's a great offensive d-man, but I don't think his actual defensive skills are anything special. When he learns to become a great two way player like Lidstrom then I'll give him more credit.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettCollecta View Post
Lol this is funny to read. Can I have what you're smoking?

The best goal scorer? I didn't know the Sens had either Kessel or Stamkos at one point...
The best dman? Did the Sens ever have Nik Lidstrom this year?
Best captain? Sorry but that's Toews

I'm not gonna take away anything from Karlsson though, he's a great offensive d-man, but I don't think his actual defensive skills are anything special. When he learns to become a great two way player like Lidstrom then I'll give him more credit.
You see, no fans actually know what Ottawa has this year.

Milan Michalek was tied for the league lead in goals before he got a concussion, you dunce. In theory, he was tied for the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Erik Karlsson has scored the most points by a defenseman this year, and it's not by a small margin. He has the second most assists in the NHL. Not by defensemen, in total. Plus/minus proves nothing individually, so in theory Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL.

Do you really think Jonathan toews is the best captain in the NHL? Has he spent 18 years with the hawks? Has he been captain of the hawks for 11 years? No and no. Daniel Alfreddsson has been like Steve Yzerman in Ottawa. He is not only an ambassador to the league, but to the city. Best captain in the NHL. Hands down. What has johnathan toews done to prove he's the best in the league, other than win a Stanley cup?

You see, these are the stupid posts we get from ignorant fans who think the NHL exists only in Chicago, Boston, Detroit, and Philadelphia. Please, stick to basketball and football. Leave hockey talk to people who have actually watched the game their whole lives, instead of stupid bandwaggoners like those from chicago.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

There are plenty of ignorant fans on both sides of the border
Army19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army19K View Post
There are plenty of ignorant fans on both sides of the border
There are, there are. Personally I can't stand any fans outside of Ontario, including Ottawa (I pretty much can only stand Toronto fans ). It just seems like many a few bandwaggon fans seem to throw any research or history out window and just state " (insert favorite team name)'s captain is the best ever.". No explanation, no logic. Just a statement.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
There are, there are. Personally I can't stand any fans outside of Ontario, including Ottawa (I pretty much can only stand Toronto fans ). It just seems like many a few bandwaggon fans seem to throw any research or history out window and just state " (insert favorite team name)'s captain is the best ever.". No explanation, no logic. Just a statement.
I understand, in no way was my comment a shot at you, and I agree, Toews has a long, LONG way to go to be a great captain.
Army19K is offline   Reply With Quote