Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kovalchuk lowers the boom on Schenn

Now I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that punch either, but it sure looked lucky to me. Also, why in the world was Philadelphia trying to play dirty with New Jersey, they were up 6-2 at the time.

Fight Video: Ilya Kovalchuk KOs Flyers? Brayden Schenn with nasty right hook | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

First and last time you'll ever see a Russian knock out a Saskatchewan kid. I guess this proves brayden's the inferior Schenn.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Kovalchuk goes Gordie for the first time in his career....ya know, if this keeps up, I might not mind that contract after all.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Kovalchuk goes Gordie for the first and last time in his career....ya know, if this keeps up, his contract will still suck and will go down in the same category as dipietro.
Fixed it for ya
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
First and last time you'll ever see a Russian knock out a Saskatchewan kid. I guess this proves brayden's the inferior Schenn.
I don't give a #@#@#@#@ where in Canada he's from he got his Ass kicked plain and simple,knock out a kid from Saskatchewan that's pretty funny!
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
I don't give a #@#@#@#@ where in Canada he's from he got his Ass kicked plain and simple,knock out a kid from Saskatchewan that's pretty funny!
I'm just sayin. Not very often you'll see a weak little Russian knock down a tough saskatchewan kid. As far as I know Boris mikhailov never beat Frank Mahovolich in a fight (or in a game!).

I guess I forgot nobody on this board shares mine or Don Cherry's opinion
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

The dude is 6'3" and 220. It was a lucky punch, but still seems like he's saying to the team, "get on my back and let's go."

New Jersey may have lost the battle but began winning the war today.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm just sayin. Not very often you'll see a weak little Russian knock down a tough saskatchewan kid. As far as I know Boris mikhailov never beat Frank Mahovolich in a fight (or in a game!).

I have no problem with Cherry's opinions', just not so sure all 'kids' from Saskatchewan are 'tough guys' like you want me to believe, and definitely not sure what Mikhailov and Mahovolich have to do with Schenn ( that tough saskatchewan kid?) getting his Ass kicked, but I guess you and Don Cherry know
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I have no problem with Cherry's opinions', just not so sure all 'kids' from Saskatchewan are 'tough guys' like you want me to believe, and definitely not sure what Mikhailov and Mahovolich have to do with Schenn ( that tough saskatchewan kid?) getting his Ass kicked, but I guess you and Don Cherry know
I'm just using those two as an example of how weak Russians never beat tough Canadian kids in a fight. Pure luck by kovalchuk.

Me and Don Cherry do know. I hope you know now as well
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Fixed it for ya
You had a typo.....Kovalchuk has already played more games with NJ than DiPietro will in the entire lifetime of his contract.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
The dude is 6'3" and 220. It was a lucky punch, but still seems like he's saying to the team, "get on my back and let's go."

New Jersey may have lost the battle but began winning the war today.
Kovy dominated him. Lucky punch? More like a kapow! Schenn was overmatched. Stick to scoring kid and leave tough work up to Simmons, Hartnell, etc.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I dont know about his fighting ability but he signs a great autograph. Compare this auto to Rashard Mendenhalls in football.

The younger generation nowadays are sad.

Last edited by cking; 02-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not sure I agree with the lucky punch - I thought Chico broke it down pretty good on the telecast: leg strength = stability = leverage = bam! Good for Kovy - a douche move is a douche move no matter where you're from and people who do sh*t like that need to pay. If I still had MSG on my TimeWarner I might've seen this live...
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm just using those two as an example of how weak Russians never beat tough Canadian kids in a fight. Pure luck by kovalchuk.

Me and Don Cherry do know. I hope you know now as well
Don't try and flatter yourself son, Don Cherry has all you Canucks getting off on his suits, we tolerated him here in the States and sent him home so you could watch him make a fool of himself every Sat. night! I hope you really don't take him seriousally not many in the game do!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't try and flatter yourself son, Don Cherry has all you Canucks can get off on his suits, we tolerated him here in the States and sent him home so you could watch him make a fool of himself every Sat. night! I hope you really don't take him seriousally not many in the game do!
I do take him seriously, mainly because I grew up watching him coach and I know what he's talking about. What he's saying is quite true. The NHL has been ruined by that idiot redneck Bettman obsessing over pitching the game to Americans. He's taken hitting out of the game, almost taken fighting out of the game, and has pretty much given Canada the middle finger his entire tenure as commish. The game was much better 30-40 years ago.

And don't say Don Cherry doesn't have any valid opinions. You may not agree with all of themx but some of them even you should agree on. No-touch icing? Don Cherry's been pleading for this for years. It's a good idea that would save tons of injuries.

And the instigator? Do you agree with that? Neither does Don Cherry. Same with delay of game penalty. He's a smart man who gets a bad rep for a couple of justified rants.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I do take him seriously, mainly because I grew up watching him coach and I know what he's talking about. What he's saying is quite true. The NHL has been ruined by that idiot redneck Bettman obsessing over pitching the game to Americans. He's taken hitting out of the game, almost taken fighting out of the game, and has pretty much given Canada the middle finger his entire tenure as commish. The game was much better 30-40 years ago.

And don't say Don Cherry doesn't have any valid opinions. You may not agree with all of themx but some of them even you should agree on. No-touch icing? Don Cherry's been pleading for this for years. It's a good idea that would save tons of injuries.

And the instigator? Do you agree with that? Neither does Don Cherry. Same with delay of game penalty. He's a smart man who gets a bad rep for a couple of justified rants.
I've been watching hockey for 40+ years and had Cherry coaching here in Boston, there are far more experts of the game that I respect their opinions over Don Cherry, his rants about what's wrong with the game have gotten old, the game has plenty of hitting and I've seen very little change in fighting (I know Cherry wants an enforcer for every team, that's up to each team not him). The players have got bigger and faster, technology and equipment as well as improved ice has made the game much faster. Now that every player wears a helmet, they alll hit "high" which has led to increased head injuries, it is the job of the league to police the game, or it will lose more players like Crosby. Cherry would rather see a team retaliate with a goon, then filter out these blatent dirty hits! Cherry is living in the past, things change, therefore the league has to protect it's star players, Cherry has no clue anymore an just likes to hear himself. The no- touch icing is probably the only justified rant Cherry has left. Cherry is a clown in clown suits!

Last edited by TASS; 02-05-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo126 View Post
Kovy dominated him. Lucky punch? More like a kapow! Schenn was overmatched. Stick to scoring kid and leave tough work up to Simmons, Hartnell, etc.
Maybe I should rephrase. Kovy was throwing hammers, I just think that it hit in such a perfect spot that Schenn was finished. Kovy was going to win, but it wasn't going to be that thunderous a victory.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Happy Birthday GoJays to your mentor Don Cherry!

And in all seriousness I would be #@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@ting you if I did not admit the man still humors me, and I appreciate his continued acknowledgement of all the Military personnel who have lost their lives, which is far more serious than a Hockey Game!

Last edited by TASS; 02-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Bettman isn't my favorite either but I find it funny when people from Canada say he has it out for them.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Bettman isn't my favorite either but I find it funny when people from Canada say he has it out for them.

'The NHL has been ruined by that idiot redneck Bettman"

+1, And I don't know many "rednecks" that have the noterity or capital Bettman has

"The game was much better 30-40 years ago".

That would put the League back to the original 6', i'm not sure you would still be capable of having an NHL in this day and age!
not sure

Last edited by TASS; 02-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
It's the truth! The Pittsburgh Penguins should be playing in Hamilton right now. Same with the Nashville Predators. And the Phoenix Coyotes. The NHL has a serious buyer in RIM (Blackberry) owner Jim Balsille who'll fund a team 100%. But Bettman and the American board keeps denying him a franchise. He also gave NBC free hockey. Ya, FREE HOCKEY. No major sports league in the world would do it. But Bettman is so obsessed with pushing the game to Americans he's giving away hockey. He's also given NBC rights that CBC has begged for for years. CBC has asked forever to be allowed to interview players on the bench, yet they were always denied. But NBC was given the rights from day one.

And what about the all-star game? I remember when it was in the middle of the week or on a Saturday night, when hockey is it's best. But now it's on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON and always coincides with the Super Bowl off-week.

Maybe it's not a complete hatred of Canada, but he is willing to keep teams in america at all costs. The NHL could put 4 more teams in Canada and it would work. But his sole priority is making the game work in the US.

And if I get one response having anything to do with Pittsburgh and how stupid I sound with the relocation comment I am going to lose it. Do your research dumbasses and then come back and see me.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Jim Ballstupid has nobody to blame but himself. He tried to strongarm his way into the league and it didn't work. It wasn't just Gary who didn't like him. Other owners INCLUDING Canadian owners didn't like him either.

You don't start a season ticket campaign (Hamilton) when you don't own a team. He did. That was his biggest mistake. If he had kept his mouth shut and played the political old boy network game the right way he would probably have a team now.

Phoenix will move and likely to Canada. The other owners don't want to pay to keep them afloat anymore.

The expansion into southern markets didn't work in every market. Some have and you're wrong if you think Nashville isn't one of them.

Gary wants (or should I say dreams) of bringing hockey to the same level as the NFL or MLB. It will never happen because the majority of the US thinks hockey is stupid. I think he needs to cut his losses, move Phoenix and perhaps another team in the next few years.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
It's the truth! The Pittsburgh Penguins should be playing in Hamilton right now. Same with the Nashville Predators. And the Phoenix Coyotes. The NHL has a serious buyer in RIM (Blackberry) owner Jim Balsille who'll fund a team 100%. But Bettman and the American board keeps denying him a franchise. He also gave NBC free hockey. Ya, FREE HOCKEY. No major sports league in the world would do it. But Bettman is so obsessed with pushing the game to Americans he's giving away hockey. He's also given NBC rights that CBC has begged for for years. CBC has asked forever to be allowed to interview players on the bench, yet they were always denied. But NBC was given the rights from day one.

And what about the all-star game? I remember when it was in the middle of the week or on a Saturday night, when hockey is it's best. But now it's on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON and always coincides with the Super Bowl off-week.

Maybe it's not a complete hatred of Canada, but he is willing to keep teams in america at all costs. The NHL could put 4 more teams in Canada and it would work. But his sole priority is making the game work in the US.

And if I get one response having anything to do with Pittsburgh and how stupid I sound with the relocation comment I am going to lose it. Do your research dumbasses and then come back and see me.
Listen you are intitled to your opinion, but you do understand that this is a business, and all of the Major decisions are voted by the owners (Canadian & American) not made by Bettman and they base their decisions solely on what's the best business decision for their investments. I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but I assume it's from Pro Canadian propaganda and where some of it I agree may be true and accurate I truly believe you have a personnel hatred toward Bettman and that has seriously clouded your judgement! Without expansion and the US market their would not be the NHL we know today, and believe me good decisions have been made to return the Game to north of the border markets i.e. Winnipeg but you failed to mention that, who do you suppose was a Major supporter of that move?

"Do your research dumbasses and then come back and see me".[/QUOTE]

Insert your pompous Canadian foot in mouth at this point, because you live in Canada does not entitle the game of Hockey to your Dumbass!!

Last edited by TASS; 02-05-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #24 (permalink)

Used to love Don Cherry and the way he talked about the game but these days he's more of a senile blowhard with an agenda. I understand the whole pro-Canadian boy schtick because he's like, Mr Canada, and that's the largest part of his audience but if you're in a broadcasting position like his you should at the very least TRY to be objective. Somebody needs to explain to him that Hockey Nite in Canada isn't just broadcasted in Canada anymore.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

'The NHL has been ruined by that idiot redneck Bettman"

+1, And I don't know many "rednecks" that have the noterity or capital Bettman has
"The game was much better 30-40 years ago"

That would put the League back to the original 6', i'm not sure you would still be capable of having an NHL in this day and age!
not sure
I do