Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default THE BEST 1-2 Combo in the NHL

I defy you to find me a better pair of linemates in the NHL. Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul are the best BY FAR. That's right. I'm saying they're better than the Sedins. I'll let the stats speak for themselves.

Phil Kessel: 30 Goals, 30 Assists, 60 points total.

Joffrey Lupul: 22 Goals, 35 Assists, 57 points total.

Just thought I'd point this out. These 2 are the real deal. The best linemates in the league.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

St Louis / Stamkos at 107 total aren't too far behind ;-P.
I like anything that I've never seen before, I can't really place my finger on it..... Wow me if I have something you want. Wil Myers, Mike Zunino, Mike "Giancarlo" Stanton, Stamkos, Longoria, Josh Freeman, Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis. And the regulars, Hofer's from any sport. Bucket.... http://s860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/aquzuqa/
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
St Louis / Stamkos at 107 total aren't too far behind ;-P.
10 points
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
10 points
Definitely something wrong when you can pick up autograph cards of Kessel and Lupul together and still have change for a $20.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

How about Geno and James Neal with 112. 3 and 4 in the league in goals isn't too shabby.

Edit: So I wouldn't go so far as to say "best by far."
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
Definitely something wrong when you can pick up autograph cards of Kessel and Lupul together and still have change for a $20.
Just proves how underrated they both are
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I defy you to find me a better pair of linemates in the NHL. Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul are the best BY FAR. That's right. I'm saying they're better than the Sedins. I'll let the stats speak for themselves.

Phil Kessel: 30 Goals, 30 Assists, 60 points total.

Joffrey Lupul: 22 Goals, 35 Assists, 57 points total.

Just thought I'd point this out. These 2 are the real deal. The best linemates in the league.
Leave it to a Leafs fan to make a statement like that. How can they be the real deal?? This is the highest amount of points Lupul's ever put up in a season... I do think Kessel's under-rated by most people and disliked by more because he's put up 4 straight 30g + seasons however, he's incredibly one dimensional.

Are they both playing well together now? Yes
Pretty sure people fear Neal & Malkin more, even Henrik & Daniel more than they fear Kessel and Lupul
AaronGodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGodgers View Post
Leave it to a Leafs fan to make a statement like that. How can they be the real deal?? This is the highest amount of points Lupul's ever put up in a season... I do think Kessel's under-rated by most people and disliked by more because he's put up 4 straight 30g + seasons however, he's incredibly one dimensional.

Pretty sure people fear Neal & Malkin more, even Henrik & Daniel more than they fear Kessel and Lupul
How can Neal and Malkin be the real deal? Malkin yes but Neal hell no. This is by far Neal's highest point total. And I'd take Lupul above Neal any day.

You can't deny their point total. And if you do you'll have to deny Neal's total as well because this is his best year by far as well. Lupul and kessel lead the league in points for 2 players. Until someone overtakes them theyre the best 1-2 in the league.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Datsyuk/Zetterberg when they are together are good, and they are two of the best two-way forwards in the world. But Malkin/Neal has been great this year, I'd put them first.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

I think you are underestimating the abilities of James Neal. The guy has always had a world of potential as a goal scorer and has been on relatively bad lines. From day one when he came over to Pitt, I though he was a potential perennial 40-50 goal scorer on Malkin or Crosby's wing. He was bad last year after coming over trying to adjust. So far this season he has 28 through 54 games while helping Geno lead the league in points. So long as the Pens can resign him after this season, I would expect to see 80-95 point seasons indefinitely.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

1. Joffrey Lupul was considered a 50 goal prospect when he was a Duck before all the back trouble, so this isn't a surprise.

2. Saying Phil Kessel is one dimensional is like saying all Cris Carter did was score touchdowns.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Please re-post if the Leafs ever make the playoffs. Yes, they are having a good season, but I'll go with guys who win games before I can think about annointing those two.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
Please re-post if the Leafs ever make the playoffs. Yes, they are having a good season, but I'll go with guys who win games before I can think about annointing those two.
That I will sir. Let's look at the facts:

Toronto is currently in 8th. The team ahead of them (Ottawa) has only 1 point in hand and have played 2 more games. The Sens are also 1-7 in their past eight.

The leafs are 1 point ahead of both Washington and Florida. Even if washington passes them in points they'll still be ahead of Florida.

Toronto is 4 points ahead of the next closest bubble team (winnipeg) and have played one game less.

So lets consider the following:

4 teams are currently fighting for a playoff spot: Toronto, Ottawa, Washington, and florida. The leafs are coming off a 5 game win streak. Ottawa is coming off a 7 game losing streak. Florida is having quite a lucky season and have been slipping as of late (4-3-3). And Washington will probably make it.

3 spots available. 4 teams fighting for the spots. You're telling me Ottawa and Florida have a better shot at making the playoffs than Toronto? A Washington collapse is florida's best shot at making it, and even if they do make it Ottawa is slumping. Let's not forget Toronto is a post all-star team. Look at their record after the asg in the past 3 seasons. They are a playoff team in the second half of the season all of these years.

You sir, have been served.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That I will sir. Let's look at the facts:

Toronto is currently in 8th. The team ahead of them (Ottawa) has only 1 point in hand and have played 2 more games. The Sens are also 1-7 in their past eight.

The leafs are 1 point ahead of both Washington and Florida. Even if washington passes them in points they'll still be ahead of Florida.

Toronto is 4 points ahead of the next closest bubble team (winnipeg) and have played one game less.

So lets consider the following:

4 teams are currently fighting for a playoff spot: Toronto, Ottawa, Washington, and florida. The leafs are coming off a 5 game win streak. Ottawa is coming off a 7 game losing streak. Florida is having quite a lucky season and have been slipping as of late (4-3-3). And Washington will probably make it.

3 spots available. 4 teams fighting for the spots. You're telling me Ottawa and Florida have a better shot at making the playoffs than Toronto? A Washington collapse is florida's best shot at making it, and even if they do make it Ottawa is slumping. Let's not forget Toronto is a post all-star team. Look at their record after the asg in the past 3 seasons. They are a playoff team in the second half of the season all of these years.

You sir, have been served.
Really? Beside Florida, all the other teams have been in the playoffs since your team has. Hell, post lock-out, you are one of 3 teams I believe who hasn't even made the playoffs. Not sure how you just served someone... season isn't over yet.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
1. Joffrey Lupul was considered a 50 goal prospect when he was a Duck before all the back trouble, so this isn't a surprise.

2. Saying Phil Kessel is one dimensional is like saying all Cris Carter did was score touchdowns.
I rember when he played for Medicine Hat, the 2nd part is just wrong. You can't compare a WR who's only goal is to score a TD. Where as a forward's role isn't only to score, but to set up goals as well.

Quote:
How can Neal and Malkin be the real deal? Malkin yes but Neal hell no. This is by far Neal's highest point total. And I'd take Lupul above Neal any day.

You can't deny their point total. And if you do you'll have to deny Neal's total as well because this is his best year by far as well. Lupul and kessel lead the league in points for 2 players. Until someone overtakes them theyre the best 1-2 in the league.
Shows how much you know, Neal hasn't even eclipsed his second highest point total yet. I do agree that you can say the same for Neal as Lupul, but not a chance id take Lupul over him
AaronGodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Malkin can and has singlehandedly taken over games this year. No Crosby, no Staal, so he's facing the opponents top d-pairings and forwards every night and not having anybody on the 2nd line to help take away some of the heat. He's still killing it. I haven't worn a pair of skates since I left college 20yrs ago and even I could score on his wing the way he's playing. Neal is doing exactly what they brought him in to do.

Kessel takes a lot of crap because of what they gave up to get him. He's a good player and Lupul is having a great year too but neither of those guys are able to control a game like Malkin.

Last edited by 223; 02-10-2012 at 12:29 AM.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Neal/Malkin = 112 Pts in 101 Games (1.11 Pts/game)
Kessel/Lupul = 117 Pts in 110 Games (1.06 Pts/game)

and lookout in the future with Eberle/Hall = 94 Pts in 94 Games this year (both 2nd year players)

So there's that......
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Can't help but wonder after watching last night's game if Elias and Kovalchuk wonder what could have been if they played together their whole careers. Just a wild full speed ahead goal last night;

Patrik Elias Goal - 2/9/2012 Devils vs Blues - YouTube
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1980 View Post
Neal/Malkin = 112 Pts in 101 Games (1.11 Pts/game)
Kessel/Lupul = 117 Pts in 110 Games (1.06 Pts/game)

and lookout in the future with Eberle/Hall = 94 Pts in 94 Games this year (both 2nd year players)

So there's that......
Oilers Fan you are the Winner IMO, where I feel the Malkin/Neal combo is the most relevant duo in the grand scheme of things (Neal has always been underrated based on where he had been playing (Dallas/ 3 years 20+ Goals), the best 1-2 Combo is going to be Eberle/Hall hands down, throw in RNH on the powerplay and Edmonton will be back in with the Elite of the NHL!
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
How about Geno and James Neal with 112. 3 and 4 in the league in goals isn't too shabby.

Edit: So I wouldn't go so far as to say "best by far."
I believe this wins (if not, waaaaay up there), it was Malkin/Crosby, but Neal has fit in just fine. Malkin may just be the best in the NHL right now, he can setup and score and has a huge frame. Don't mess with Geno Neal is a sniper that is a perfect sidekick for him.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Are you serious? You just served me by laying out a playoff scenario. Once again, I will give Kessel & Lupul their due, but give me a break, there is so much more to being a top duo than points scored. If that is your only basis, fine, but if you give me a choice between those two versus the Sedins, Geno/Neal, Bergeron/Seguin, Giroux/Hartnell, Hossa/Toews and Datsyuk/Franzen or Zetterberg, they finish 7th if I'm starting a team to win a game. Before last year, I guess Ovechkin & Backstrom were the best duo by your criteria and look what they have to show for it. I thank you for the post because it has stirred up debate. BTW, my 2 favorite teams are the Caps and Leafs so I'm not biased in any way here.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I rember when he played for Medicine Hat, the 2nd part is just wrong. You can't compare a WR who's only goal is to score a TD. Where as a forward's role isn't only to score, but to set up goals as well.
You don't sign Phil Kessel to be an assist man. He's as good a closer as there is in the NHL.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote