Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is Heroes and Prospects dead?

Haven't seen anyone breaking this product on any of the forums, getting squeezed into extinction by collectors buying Panini? Used to trade on the forums for some singles but looks like nobody is on the bandwagon for this stuff anymore. ?
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I guess this assumes it was once alive? I just can't get into the unlicensed stuff. As messed up as UD is, at least the photography is current and you see active players in their real uniforms.
"You have to break by the case" Zammos1, 3:16
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

There a new release every two weeks , breakers choose more wisely plus Crown beeing so popular leaves very little money for H&P.
Dr kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well when your 2nd best auto is wade belkak tribute auto .....................

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Unlike baseball, hockey collector's don't go ape over prospect cards. They sell well in Canada but honestly other than the top prospects who in the US has ever heard of half of them?
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Manufacturer

223 you are correct, by the same token Canadians have no idea who the football and basketball prospects are. That doesn't make the products made in the US, dead.

Heroes and Prospects is alive and well with the collectors who collect the product year in and year out.

Heroes and Prospects is licensed by the CHL, PHPA and AHL.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll give my two cents. I love heroes and prospects, for a couple of reasons. First, ITG has the best memerobilia out there. Panini, Upper Deck, and Topps all don't compare when it comes to memerobilia.

Second, I like the opportunity to pull cards from my local major junior team. No other company making hockey cards has any respect for minor league teams the players came from. I love pulling an autograph from Tyler Toffoli in his Ottawa 67's jersey. SP Authentic or Crown Royale do not offer that. Heroes and Prospects does.

I dont consider Heroes and Prospects dead. Most of the times I go to my LCS I see someone opening a box of something ITG. I'll take better memerobilia, no redemptions, and minor league auto's any day, even if it isn't licensed.

Last edited by GoJays; 02-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Its not dead. Flobert has his break on the forum.
Kent Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
223 you are correct, by the same token Canadians have no idea who the football and basketball prospects are. That doesn't make the products made in the US, dead.

Heroes and Prospects is alive and well with the collectors who collect the product year in and year out.

Brian Price
I thought for sure MWheeler would show up first, you are quick.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Brian Price
I wasn't knocking it at all. I was more or less saying it's not as heavily broken down here as it is up there that's all.

More importantly, Blowout has far more US members than the other sites. If you go over to SCF or Hobbyinsider there are plenty of H&P breaks on there. Those guys know who's who in the set.

The FIRST page of the hockey breaks section here has threads that were started almost 10 days ago. Baseball and football are usually no older than 24 hours tops.

You'll also notice than quite often people start a hockey break post with "Did I do any good?" or "I don't usually open hockey but thought I'd try it out".

Again, I wasn't knocking it. Just that when you have guys opening stuff and have no idea who major NHL stars are there's little chance they'll try a prospects set.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Just remember it is a bit of a down year for rookies in hockey this year which limits the amount of breaks. Not to mention most of us know to avoid Panini hockey product and hold out for the better UD and ITG stuff later in the year.

I for one like hockey being the fourth step-child in sports. Football and baseball are always the #1 sports in the USA in terms of fan-base. I prefer to think of hockey as the ECW in sports compared to WWE and WCW football and baseball. It's more under the radar, gives you a great quality product, and the guys are the most down to earth guys out there in sports.

In terms of H&P, there is usually pretty good hype when there is a marquee rookie heading into the draft or right after the draft has been completed and there is a scramble for who your team just drafted. Flobert's break highlighted a nice 4 color patch of Nails (best hockey name in awhile) who could go #1 in the draft. Prospect sets usually do go a little more under the radar than regular sets, and when the sport is more under the radar than the other ones, what more do you expect? It sits just well with its hardcore fans though.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Honestly, H&P is one of those products that has a solid fan base that will always be there and as someone mentioned, that fan base is not in the U.S. It's akin to soccer cards; no one who isn't into soccer will pick up a set dedicated to soccer prospects.

On a side note, I honestly believe that if ITG made the regular and non-auto/memorabilia cards in the set out-of-the-pack autograph friendly (ie: you could open a pack and hand the card to a player to get it signed with a sharpie without having to worry about the signature smudging, smearing, beading, etc.) the sales would definitely increase.

I know for myself I LOVE getting minor league/junior stuff signed by players, but I HATE having to rub all those cards, etc. Why? No mater what team that player gets drafted/traded to, you don't have to worry about the uniform being out of date. Also, if there was a set I could just buy, sort and then throw into envelopes to get signed by minor league players, that would be awesome. Just something to think about.
FattyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Having been a fan of the AHL, since following my home town Springfield Indians (Kings) back in the Billy Smith & Butch Goring/ Calder Cup year of 70-71 and now being a partial Season Ticket holder for the Prov. Bruins, I look forward to H&P every year for the Minor League as well as Canadian Major Junior player cards. ITG has always been at the forefront for being the 1st to release "Game-Used" as well as Auto's of the future NHL stars! The H&P quality has also been a plus, as the Patch cards are truly worth the wait every year
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

H & P and BTP are my favorite hockey products period. So gratifying to have an awesome memorabilia piece or auto from a player who is more or less unknown at the time, only to years later see them BLOW UP in the NHL. I pulled a cool Tavares jersey a few years back and when he got drafted I had to go back through my cards to make sure it was him. Sure enough!

ALWAYS the best and biggest memorbilia.

ALWAYS the biggest spaces for autos, even the stickers are almost 2X the size of Panini's and UD's.

ITG FTW!
evillittlejawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Best part about H&P is seeing all the great uniforms out there. Some cool stuff. And if you are lucky to pull a nice piece of memorabilia, whether it be known or unknown player, it's awesome to add something different to your collection.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Brian Price
So dr. Price is insulting canadians assuming were stupid and know nothing about football and basketball to hype his products? Classy!
gr8azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8azn View Post
So dr. Price is insulting canadians assuming were stupid and know nothing about football and basketball to hype his products? Classy!
I'm pretty sure he was just making an analogy to 223's comment, it doesn't apply to all Canadians as a whole nor as any insult considering the thread.

All of us hockey guys here know full well Canadians know their sports, and aren't sitting around eating jelly donuts and drinking beer all day....

Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

The key difference here is that while mostly only Americans buy the other sports, there are roughly 315 million Americans compared to only 1/10th that many Canadians.
and any Indiana Hoosiers in any sport
marklemerchants is offline   Reply With Quote