Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Howvdo you judge a great hockey set?

I have seen many posts, threads and box breaks here where collectors give their opinion about what hockey card sets they liked or disliked. Which leads me to ask, what makes a good set of cards? Do you judge by card design? Inserts? Memorabilia? Autos? Base design?

Or are sets simply judged by what we pull? If you hit a Rookie Silhouette or RPA and flip for buckoo bucks, do you consider that a great set?

Love to hear what you have to say.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lots of stuff to answer there. IMO, I'm just looking for value at this point. If I spend $100 on a box of cards, I realize I might not get the top rookie, but if I can get a couple decent ones, I'm happy. As for sets, I would argue SP Authentic - nice design, serial numbered, on-card autos. You can actually complete a set, not so with the Cup unless you are a millionaire. And regular UD is a nice set to put together as well.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

You gotta collect from your heart and just consider any money you make a bonus. If it starts to become about nothing but the money, take a break for a month or two. It will renew your intrest big time when you jump back in. Everything does things diffrent. Its a hobby for me. Its a business for others.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
You gotta collect from your heart and just consider any money you make a bonus. If it starts to become about nothing but the money, take a break for a month or two. It will renew your intrest big time when you jump back in. Everything does things diffrent. Its a hobby for me. Its a business for others.
I agree with this guy...i collect because i love to collect...i am not in it to make money off the cards i buy. Sure i have a ton of doubles i would love to sell, but i dont buy hobby boxes in hope to pull the big card and sell it. I pulled a RNH rookie auto that i pulled from certified that i am still hanging on to. I also am still trying to complete my 09-10 mvp hockey set. I wish they would bring back MVP for hockey because that was a set i love to collect. So again, i agree with cking, its a hobby to me...hell i have even thought about opening my own card shop because i love it so much.
Kraizd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

For me, an appealing design with nice core of RC's trumps inserts, parallels, relics, autos, etc. Probably my favorite all-time set has to be 90-91 Upper Deck. The rookies in that set are unbelievable considering how many future HOFers and all-stars are included. Sundin, Roenick, Jagr, Bure, Mogilny, Lindros, Niedermayer, Nolan, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov, etc. Tell me another set that has that many great rookies that had lasting impressions on the game and its fans. I know it may not be quite as valuable as other sets, but when you take into account the fantastic photography, it's one of the true landmark sets for hockey card collectors. Hell, there are some cards that I can see clear as day when I close my eyes.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
Hell, there are some cards that I can see clear as day when I close my eyes.
Um Kings.....this doesn't really count as a card....

Agreeing with the above posts, first of all I started collecting usually going after one player and any bigger hits beyond getting that player were bonuses.

Biggest thing toward collecting now in between big payday and joy of collecting is odds on payout though. Take lotto scratch tickets for example, I look at the odds and determine which ones are better. Some pay out 1:5 tickets while other pay out 1:3, some you usually just get your money back, while others odds are better to at least double your money if you win. Guess which ones I scratch off? Do you win every time? Of course not, but getting a nice medium where you get a nice looking product, couple nice hits, and have decent odds about knowing the money you spent was worth it.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post

Agreeing with the above posts, first of all I started collecting usually going after one player and any bigger hits beyond getting that player were bonuses.

Biggest thing toward collecting now in between big payday and joy of collecting is odds on payout though. Take lotto scratch tickets for example, I look at the odds and determine which ones are better. Some pay out 1:5 tickets while other pay out 1:3, some you usually just get your money back, while others odds are better to at least double your money if you win. Guess which ones I scratch off? Do you win every time? Of course not, but getting a nice medium where you get a nice looking product, couple nice hits, and have decent odds about knowing the money you spent was worth it.
THAT is a great set!

Last edited by hermanotarjeta; 02-29-2012 at 01:24 PM.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post

Yummmmm!!!!!