Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Well the Eastern Conf just got easier for Boston and NY

Kris Letang was hit in the head by a cheapshot from Eric Nystrom and should be done for the rest of the season. It was a vicious hit. This will be Letang's 2nd concussion this year and I would seriously doubt if he steps on the ice again this year.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is straight up messed up.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ouch. The Pens have been having an awful year injury-wise. Hope he gets better soon. I've liked this kid for a while. Great player in the Q and in the world juniors.

I guess Philly, Boston, New York, and Ottawa's playoffs are now looking a little better.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

yeah as a pens fan i am super upset about it...not a good time to lose a great defenseman like Letang...our powerplay was 6 for its last 13 before this game and we are 0 for 5 tonight...we have looked flat on the powerplay with no letang to captain the powerplay.
Kraizd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Just saw it.. sick. Poor Letang
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Letang was leading with the head, they were both going for the puck... no suspension.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Letang was leading with the head, they were both going for the puck... no suspension.
Nystrom clearly gave up on playing the puck...i understand that letang was reaching for the puck, but Nystrom did not play the puck.
Kraizd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

ouch, this has to be the worst time possible to lose a dman like letang. i wonder how long Malkin can carry the team like this. it's amazing the Pens can still do what what they do with the likes of Crosby AND Letang AND a whole slew of injuries out for great lengths ALL season long. i have no doubt they'd be Cup contenders (and favorites) had the whole team been healthy all season long.
SkyFire47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizd11 View Post
Nystrom clearly gave up on playing the puck...i understand that letang was reaching for the puck, but Nystrom did not play the puck.
Take off your Black and Yellow glasses and look at the play again. At some point the player who puts himself in a vulnerable position with a split second left in the play has to be responsible for his actions. This wasn't Mike Richards braining David Booth.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Take off your Black and Yellow glasses and look at the play again. At some point the player who puts himself in a vulnerable position with a split second left in the play has to be responsible for his actions. This wasn't Mike Richards braining David Booth.
I think you need to watch the play again, where does Letang "put himself in a vulnerable position" the puck is on the boards Letang is pursuing the puck, enter Nystrom reaches for the puck which is on the boards but than clearly goes straight for Letang, and worse Letang's head! Where, if Nystrom were to go for the puck he would have still made contact with Letang but from a much more acceptable angle. letang should have not left the boards but it appears he did to try to avoid Nystrom, who should have just lowered his shoulder as opposed to jabbing at his head. I feel this play is more blatant than the one Turris got off for against Corvo. Base this incident combined with what has happened previously to the Pitt. organization I think Shanahan has no recourse but to issue a suspension, I can't see where Letang put himself in any vulnerable position, he was playing the puck coming off a previous hit, I hope the league does the right thing!

As far as this making things easier for Bos. & NY, for Boston they are dealing with there own injury issues and have had there offense impacted more than people realize, Horton and to me a greater impact is Peverly who has been a catalyst on the Bruins PP. Ny is currently the beast of the east and will be very difficult to beat in this years playoffs.

Last edited by TASS; 03-01-2012 at 11:02 AM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Good grief, you look at the play again. If Nystrom lowers the shoulder he hits Letang dead red with the shoulder. His arm was tight to the body, sees he is going to lose the race and commits to check. Letang is leading with his head, is Nystrom not allowed to make contact with Letang because Letang has concussion problems and is irresponsible on the ice?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am with KMD - I see this happening all the time in the corner. I just think it was unfortunate for Letang who was reaching for the puck therefore in a low dangerous position. I don't think it will be a suspension but who knows.

Sucks for me as I have Letang in my fantasy pool. I replaced him with Shattenkirk, a nice sized blow to my team now.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Good grief, you look at the play again. If Nystrom lowers the shoulder he hits Letang dead red with the shoulder. His arm was tight to the body, sees he is going to lose the race and commits to check. Letang is leading with his head, is Nystrom not allowed to make contact with Letang because Letang has concussion problems and is irresponsible on the ice?
How you can say Letang is "irresponssible' is beyond me The guy is trying to avoid a check, is he not allowed too, furthermore where is he leading with his head, he's upright the entire time, secondly is he in possession of the puck? Look there are multiple way's to look at this play(and I'm sure they will all be discussed in Shanahan's explination ), we just happen to have different opinions, but to label Letang as being 'irresponsible' in this situation is just wrong IMO And his arm my be somewhat 'tight to the body' but he sure looks like he's going out of his way to throw his shoulder up into that hit! Now let's let the league determine weather or not this is deemed an acceptable hit.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

KMD enough of this subject, as an Islander Fan what if anything have the Bruins gained with the acquisition of Mottau on D, not really following the Islanders the last few years just curious as to what you think of this guy?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
KMD enough of this subject, as an Islander Fan what if anything have the Bruins gained with the acquisition of Mottau on D, not really following the Islanders the last few years just curious as to what you think of this guy?
Mottau is a veteran who will help the Bruins kids but I'm not sure what he has left in the tank. I think Rolston is the gem of the deal and may have put Boston over the top.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Mottau is a veteran who will help the Bruins kids but I'm not sure what he has left in the tank. I think Rolston is the gem of the deal and may have put Boston over the top.
See I guess we can agree! I think the Islanders style of play along with the youth movement out on the island was not condusive to where Rolston is at this point of his career, but he will fit seamlessly in Boston, and I hope resurrect his scoring touch
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
See I guess we can agree! I think the Islanders style of play along with the youth movement out on the island was not condusive to where Rolston is at this point of his career, but he will fit seamlessly in Boston, and I hope resurrect his scoring touch
I like the prospects we got because getting anything for those guys was going to be tough with the cap hit. Rolston was such a trooper on Long Island I'm almost rooting for Boston just to see him get a Stanley Cup.