Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Toronto at Boston.... Who ya got?

Just kidding. I know it isn't even going to be close. Here's hoping we "Fail for Nail"!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Boston has been subpar lately and if they open this up it will get ugly.

In my pool, I sat Kessel (1st time this year) and I have Lucic/Thomas. I need a big performance from both as this is the semi's for my pool playoffs.

Should be a good watch anyways

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
Boston has been subpar lately and if they open this up it will get ugly.

In my pool, I sat Kessel (1st time this year) and I have Lucic/Thomas. I need a big performance from both as this is the semi's for my pool playoffs.

Should be a good watch anyways
3-0 Boston 1st period! Ugly!

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lucic just beat the living #@#@#@#@ out of Komisarek, it was a total #@#@#@#@ing beat down
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Lucic just beat the living #@#@#@#@ out of Komisarek, it was a total #@#@#@#@ing beat down

You'd think Komisarek would have learned his lesson by now...
xgoodgriefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ummmmm I pick Boston.
Love watching some leafs blow.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1980 View Post
Ummmmm I pick Boston.
Love watching some leafs blow.
Right, because the Oilers are leading the west, arent they .

At least you guys get a good draft pick. Knowing Brian Burke he'll trade away our pick for some half-decent American who pans out to be marginally as good as the draft pick.

I knew I should've converted to a Sens fan when they came back . I am an idiot! (but i guess you've gotta be a little crazy to cheer for such a crap team!).
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post

At least you guys get a good draft pick. Knowing Brian Burke he'll trade away our pick for some half-decent American who pans out to be marginally as good as the draft pick.

I knew I should've converted to a Sens fan when they came back . I am an idiot! (but i guess you've gotta be a little crazy to cheer for such a crap team!).
No he will listen to grapes and stock up on "Ontario boys" - problem solved!
Pixman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixman1 View Post
No he will listen to grapes and stock up on "Ontario boys" - problem solved!
Oh right, I forgot. Burke'll draft a ton of Ontario players, then either never play them or trade them away. The Burke system always works

I do agree with Grapes, though. Each Canadian team should have a player from that province. Ottawa has Spezza, Carkner, Konopka, Neil, Winchester, Montreal has Desharnais, Darche, Leblanc, Winnipeg has Fehr, Edmonton has Dubnyk, Hall, and Smyth, Calgary has Bouma, boumeester, Iginla, etc, and Vancouver has Ebbett, Hamhuis, and Volpatti. Toronto's the only Canadian team without an in-province player!

Maybe I'm just a guy living in the territorial days, but I do think it matters.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm so used to losing now, it's kind of growing on me.

suck all year, beat the flames to make them finish 9th, then get a high draft pick and good rookie cards....lol - gotta find a glass half full (of something).
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

The B's are back!

Let me ask you a question (fans of other Eastern Conference teams):

Are you scared yet????
.......because you should be.
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

I don't believe you need Ontario players to be successful. Look at the Red Wings. All you need is good scouting coaching and management, something the Leafs have lacked for many years.

I went to watch many Jr A games here in Ontario when a family friend of mine played (mid-late 2000's) for the Majors. All the scouts were on the top row with their clipboards. I saw multiple teams present every night - Florida, Philly, Detroit, Columbus, TB etc. Only ONCE have I seen a Leaf scout (Mike Palmateer - goalie scout). They could have been lowkey but judging by the team they have now, I seriously doubt it. THIS IS YOUR BACKYARD, TAKE A LOOK. Another reason why I, as a citizen of Toronto, have never supported the Leafs.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
I don't believe you need Ontario players to be successful. Look at the Red Wings. All you need is good scouting coaching and management, something the Leafs have lacked for many years.

I went to watch many Jr A games here in Ontario when a family friend of mine played (mid-late 2000's) for the Majors. All the scouts were on the top row with their clipboards. I saw multiple teams present every night - Florida, Philly, Detroit, Columbus, TB etc. Only ONCE have I seen a Leaf scout (Mike Palmateer - goalie scout). They could have been lowkey but judging by the team they have now, I seriously doubt it. THIS IS YOUR BACKYARD, TAKE A LOOK. Another reason why I, as a citizen of Toronto, have never supported the Leafs.
Im not trying to advocate that you need Ontario players to win (although we are the best province/state for hockey ). I'm trying to say that it's just somthing you do. The province houses you, pays for your arena, loves and supports you. Having an in-province player is an unwritten rule.

I know what you're talking about with the scouts. I've gone to many 67's/junior games and always see many a few scouts, and almost every time there is a Sens scout there. It's your home area, you need to check out the local talent.

But the Leaf ownership seems fine with losing. Oh well.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
The B's are back!

Are you scared yet????
Oh jeez, didn't you see how this post ended the last time

Seriously though, the Bruins hit the skids like teams do in a long season. I understand it lasted a while but as I posted before, once Peverly comes back they'll be a tough out in April because they're relatively healthy even without Horton or Rask. Only thing that is scary about this year is whatever team comes out of the East might not have anything left in the tank for the Finals. The East is loaded this year.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
The B's are back!

Are you scared yet????
Jeez, you sound like one of the Flyers fans around here. Crowning their team champions after one win! And I thought you Bruins fans had more class than that
Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Jeez, you sound like one of the Flyers fans around here. Crowning their team champions after one win! And I thought you Bruins fans had more class than that
Which Flyers fan did that ?

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think you mean Pitts-Homer fans as I copied and pasted it right from one of their many, many, many recent threads.

The Philly guys around here are (for the most part) A-OK....

Quote:
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you mean Pitts-Homer fans as I copied and pasted it right from one of their many, many, many recent threads.

The Philly guys around here are (for the most part) A-OK....
Ah good point. Those Pitt fans are quite annoying

If I remember correctly, though, didnt people immediately start declaring Philly as Cup champions after Bryzgalov got hot?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
The B's are back!

Are you scared yet????

You act like putting up 8 goals is a big deal. Here in Pittsburgh while we watch the 83-84 Oilers (err...I mean the 11-12 Pens), it's not really that big of a deal.
solt0131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

You forgot to mention the Bruins held Toronto to 13 shots...Nearly half of them in garbage time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
You act like putting up 8 goals is a big deal. Here in Pittsburgh while we watch the 83-84 Oilers (err...I mean the 11-12 Pens), it's not really that big of a deal.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot. Burke'll draft a ton of Ontario players, then either never play them or trade them away. The Burke system always works

I do agree with Grapes, though. Each Canadian team should have a player from that province. Ottawa has Spezza, Carkner, Konopka, Neil, Winchester, Montreal has Desharnais, Darche, Leblanc, Winnipeg has Fehr, Edmonton has Dubnyk, Hall, and Smyth, Calgary has Bouma, boumeester, Iginla, etc, and Vancouver has Ebbett, Hamhuis, and Volpatti. Toronto's the only Canadian team without an in-province player!

Maybe I'm just a guy living in the territorial days, but I do think it matters.
How would this apply to U.S. Cities? We have mainly Canadian GMs - we in Dallas have Niewendyk - so should we demand home grown players on the roster too when we have "foreign" GMs?
I cannot comprehend the crazy nuts who dole out big bucks to watch this dog team year after year (the leafs) they are not loveable losers like the Cubs. They just suck and the fans are unbearable.
Pixman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixman1 View Post
How would this apply to U.S. Cities? We have mainly Canadian GMs - we in Dallas have Niewendyk - so should we demand home grown players on the roster too when we have "foreign" GMs?
I cannot comprehend the crazy nuts who dole out big bucks to watch this dog team year after year (the leafs) they are not loveable losers like the Cubs. They just suck and the fans are unbearable.
Heres the difference though: how many NHL players do you see coming out of Texas every year? One or two, right? The province of Ontario makes up a good 25-30% of the NHL. How can Brian Burke not have a single Ontario player?

I understand why you say Leaf fans are unbearable. The same case, however, could be made for Boston Red Sox fans pre-2004. We always complain and play the blame game. We watch because we were born watching. Just like I imagine you watch the Stars or Cowboys or Rangers or Rockets. Because you were born watching them.

Only a Leaf fan can understand why they're a Leaf fan. Me personally because I grew up in 2-team Canada, where only the French cheered for Montreal and only the English cheered for Toronto. That's how the game worked back then. I considered converting to a Sens fan when they came back, but I decided against it.