Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time posting in the Hockey Forum....what do guys think of the Florida Panthers?

Hello Hockey fans!!!

This is my first time posting here and I want to know what some of the more "expert" hockey fans think of "My" Florida Panthers.

I'll be HONEST.....I'm not really a Hockey fan, I live in Miami, the only time I see snow is when I go to New York to visit relatives and I've never skated in my life.

But I'm excited to see my Home team (Florida Panthers) in first place in their division and on their way to the playoffs for the first time since 2000

I'll also be honest in saying that YES, I'm on the bandwagon....

So, does "My" team have a shot???

I've seen a few games this year, but like I said, I know very little of hockey...
alexcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would like to say congrats at buying the Panthers. Or your new job as Head Coach. "MY" team is like saying it is yours. It's like saying we won. No They won unless your are on the or part of the team they "we, me, us, my" didn't win a thing.

Being from Buffalo I love hockey and played it since I was 3. (I'm 35 now) You have a great "D" man in Soupy.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloHockeyNut View Post
I would like to say congrats at buying the Panthers. Or your new job as Head Coach. "MY" team is like saying it is yours. It's like saying we won. No They won unless your are on the or part of the team they "we, me, us, my" didn't win a thing.
Many fans describe their team in the first person narrative.

When your favorite team wins....don't you say "WE WON!!!"

I DO!

....and I know the majority of fans also say that, they also say MY team is the Yankees or Red Sox or whatever...

That's just the way I talk about my teams.

Anyways, thanks for responding....I'm only looking for opinions about the Florida Panthers and their chances in the Playoffs.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

They've been one of the bigger sucess stories of the year that's for sure! They have a good GM in Dale Talon, and a lot of fun players to watch. Personally, I feel like they'll lose in the first round to whoever they play (especially if it's Philly) but hey, you never know what can happen. You have a young stud by the name of Jonathan Huberdeau who you drafted 3rd overall this year, if he makes the jump next year which he should he'll be a fantastic addition
AaronGodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
Many fans describe their team in the first person narrative.

When your favorite team wins....don't you say "WE WON!!!"

I DO!

....and I know the majority of fans also say that, they also say MY team is the Yankees or Red Sox or whatever...

That's just the way I talk about my teams.

Anyways, thanks for responding....I'm only looking for opinions about the Florida Panthers and their chances in the Playoffs.
Plus, you put the my in parenthesis, which I thought was purposefully done without implication that you either bought the Panthers or were now their coach. Some people will find anything to nit-pick over.

Before this thread evolves to the finer art of when to properly use "my" when referring to ones favorite teams, I too think the Panthers have been one of the better success stories this year. That said, being the best team in the Southeast division this year is not exactly lighting the world on fire. I contend that the Islanders would have a legitimate shot at winning that division this year, but I digress. If they can build off of this year with the young talent they have, they could be contenders in a couple years. Lots of talent in the East right now.

Completed the 1971 Topps set!
Currently working on the 1969 and 1970 sets
mthokie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloHockeyNut View Post

Being from Buffalo I love hockey and played it since I was 3. (I'm 35 now) You have a great "D" man in Soupy.
Pretty douchy comment there, pal...

I can say I am very surprised by the way Florida has battled this year. I expected them to fade in the 2nd half like the Wild or the Leafs, but they have stayed strong and Dale Tallon knows how to build a championship caliber roster. My gut tells me they won't be able to make a run in the playoffs, but I have seen too many times that anything can happen and sometimes a team just gets hot, so you never know!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

My first instinct would be that they will be out in the first round, but then again I never would have guessed before the season that they would be anywhere near the playoffs at this point.. so what do I know. They surprised me big time in the regular season so I guess I won't be as surprised if they make it to the second round or something like that.
Lots of young players to look forward to for years to come.. Kulikov, Huberdeau, Markstrom.. plus their core of Versteeg/Fleischmann/Weiss/Campbell is not that old in itself
And as referred to above, their GM Dale Tallon knows what he is doing and can build a contender just like he did in Chicago
BogoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

The panthers are playing really well and surprising a lot of people including myself. The panthers will win the southeast which is pathetic as a Capitals fan. I see the Panthers getting the 2 spot and facing the capitals. (At least I hope). It would make for a great series. The Panthers did do a excellent job in the free agent market and that is why they are good, when you see that teams are too far under the cap and they have to spend they just get players that are old to fill spots for 2 years. Tallon did a awesome job and you see that most of the Panthers big time players are from free agency this year (cambell, Ed, fleishman, and of course Versteg). They have talent and it will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the playoffs.
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Suprised the way they have played? Yes. Weak divison? Suprisingly. Out in the first round? Yes. Frontrunner? Def!
sportsstuff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys....

I've never been this excited about Hockey.....EVER

I hope we shock some people if we do make it to the playoffs.....Hell, I might even go to a game

I hate to be such a bandwagon fan....but I can't help it, the Panthers have sucked for such a long time, it's great they're finally winning!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
Thanks for the responses guys....

I've never been this excited about Hockey.....EVER

I hope we shock some people if we do make it to the playoffs.....Hell, I might even go to a game

I hate to be such a bandwagon fan....but I can't help it, the Panthers have sucked for such a long time, it's great they're finally winning!
im glad your a fan now bud, and anything is possible. "MY" boston bruins did it last year
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

They remind me of the 1995-96 team with that insane neutral-zone trap scheme. Its boring, nasty, and very effective.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

I lived in South Florida from 1997-2004 and had partial season tickets for the last 5 seasons before I moved. There is a good group of die hard fans there and I really hope the Panthers hang on and get in for all of them that have suffered through some terrible hockey
xgoodgriefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

WOW....we're in the playoffs for the first time since 2000!!!

and we won the division (First time ever!!!)

I've been hearing that the experts say the Devils are most likely going to win in 5 or 6 games...

Unfortunately, I know very little of hockey so I'll have to go with what they say.

Either way, regardless of what happens, this will be at the very least our 2nd best year ever!

And I'm very happy, I saw more Hockey games this year than I can remember EVER seeing.

Although, it would be awesome if the Cats somehow pull the same trick they did in 1996