Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question What Hobby Boxes Are The Best Bang-For-The-Buck?

Got back into collecting after about 7 years away. I took the stupid route yesterday and bought some 08-09 Artifacts & 08-09 Be A Player Signatures retail boxes at Target. Didn't get anything worthwhile, except for a rookie redemption card.

I won an 08-09 Ultimate hobby box on eBay for only $86.00 shipped, but I doubt I'll find many more for that low price.

In your opinions what hobby boxes for around or lower than $100.00 are the best bang-for-the-buck?
Patrick_Roy_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

IMO...one of the most fun rips is OPC. If you're looking for profit, not much around. I would go back to 07/08 with SPA or SPx.

If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but a b**** aint' one.
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

You can almost get a box of 08-09 Upper Deck Series one and two combined for around $100. The rookies from this year could become pleasant surprises.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would go with BTP 08/09 because I have seen so many nice pulls that are worth a lot.
Alerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want a chance at profit, don't buy this years products. But 06/07/08 with established rookies/stars. You've got a better chance at top dollar on some of those cards. the current market is soft. super soft. It's like buttah!
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
You can almost get a box of 08-09 Upper Deck Series one and two combined for around $100. The rookies from this year could become pleasant surprises.
08-09 Series 1 has one of the deepest checklists I've seen, but I don't know if any of them are going to be superstars. Think 2003-04 UD Series 1 as its ceiling but Steve Mason's rookie might be an $80-100 card one day, but that is a big might.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Amazing - of all the rookie/2ndyr. goalies you've been high on (Price, Varlamov), you consider Mason's future dubious? Maybe if he is stuck in Columbus his whole career...
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Amazing - of all the rookie/2ndyr. goalies you've been high on (Price, Varlamov), you consider Mason's future dubious? Maybe if he is stuck in Columbus his whole career...
I was never high Varlamov, I am still high on CP, and if Mason is stuck in Columbus his whole career that is going to hurt. Remember we are talking about 20 year old kids, one bad season does not a career make, but if you guys want to be fools, I'll take all your CP rookies at a fraction of last year's cost.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I thought I detected a little love for Varlamov in your "What we have learned thread"; your crush on CP is well-documented, though. We'll see what next year brings, but for my money I think he's lost it mentally. Very, very tough city to compete in and with the franchise in flux (I heard Serge Savard and his hotel consortium were trying to buy the Habs) the fans will be even more insane than whatever typically passed for normal there....
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I was about to buy 3 more boxes of 08-09 Ultimate, but instead I refrained myself and picked-up 6 tins of 07-08 Sweet Shot for $280 shipped. Not bad. I like the look of the cards anyway. I'll post a thread in the Breaks section in a couple days.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
I thought I detected a little love for Varlamov in your "What we have learned thread"; your crush on CP is well-documented, though. We'll see what next year brings, but for my money I think he's lost it mentally. Very, very tough city to compete in and with the franchise in flux (I heard Serge Savard and his hotel consortium were trying to buy the Habs) the fans will be even more insane than whatever typically passed for normal there....
I have a soft spot for any Euro-player, and he's going to be a good one, I just don't know if he's going to be a great one.

Not sure I like the whole "man crush" concept. Lets just say I've invested in a few goaltenders before, and I've been burned and I've had a few hit. Hopefully Montreal deals Halak before the season and brings in a veteran who will help bring CP along, if they aren't careful they are going to ruin this kid.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

I would say 2008/09 ITG Between The Pipes for sure, it's been my favorite product this year and the memorabilia cards are just awesome. In three boxes I pulled a Nabokov Super Glove /20, a Turco Super Sized Pad /30, and a 3-color Patrick Roy Game-Used Number SP with a print run /9, to name a few. You also get (usually) two autographs and two Masked Men inserts per box which are pretty popular with goalie collectors. I plan on busting as many boxes as I can until ITG improves the product even further for next season.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

06-07 SP Authentic. One 05-06 RC Auto and One 06-07 RC Auto Per Box. 3 Hard Signed autos total.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I would say 2008/09 ITG Between The Pipes for sure, it's been my favorite product this year and the memorabilia cards are just awesome. In three boxes I pulled a Nabokov Super Glove /20, a Turco Super Sized Pad /30, and a 3-color Patrick Roy Game-Used Number SP with a print run /9, to name a few. You also get (usually) two autographs and two Masked Men inserts per box which are pretty popular with goalie collectors. I plan on busting as many boxes as I can until ITG improves the product even further for next season.
I really like ITG products. I just don't like that they don't seem to have as much value as UD products. You can get a auto patch out of 30 in some ITG stuff, yet they end up booking for as much as some of the jersey cards out of regular UD.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Roy_33 View Post
picked-up 6 tins of 07-08 Sweet Shot for $280 shipped.
Got the 6 tins in today. No need to start a break topic, because the tins were disappointing. Got a Gordie Howe signed puck and a Sidney Crosby Triple Stitches, 3-color jersey card. Go me.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
I really like ITG products. I just don't like that they don't seem to have as much value as UD products. You can get a auto patch out of 30 in some ITG stuff, yet they end up booking for as much as some of the jersey cards out of regular UD.
This is the 3-color Patrick Roy number patch I pulled with a print run of nine:

It's a nice patch, and very limited, yet I'd be lucky to get $30 for it on eBay. When it comes down to it though, I enjoy the card enough for what it is to not care about the monetary value. I am a sentimental collector and when it comes to game-used cards I trust ITG over UD by leaps and bounds. UD is always putting the wrong swatches on cards or using photoshoot and old-timers game jerseys, ITG uses only game-used jerseys and Dr. Price is very dedicated to making sure everything is authentic. They won't even use a jersey piece if the photo on the card doesn't match the jersey. I guess it depends on the collector and what you're looking for, from a monetary standpoint ITG cards don't match UD value (lack of a license etc) but from an authenticity and collector satisfaction standpoint ITG wins.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote