Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oilers win Draft Lottery

WOW. I don't think a team would ever be upset about winning the lottery until now. Can they draft Murray at 1? Or do they trade the pick?

My leafs got five, which means we'll probably trade down to nine or ten to draft Jacob Trouba, because we know Burke loves drafting Americans
Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

They can swap with Columbus if they want to and draft Murray #2 if they are sure Columbus is going to take Yapukov. Grigorienko is the best player in this draft and is likely going to Montreal.

Grigorienko is going to take longer. He is nine months younger than Yapukov and at this age it matters a great deal. He's also a playmaker which means Alex Avstin may never see the bigs in Montreal.

Remember Seguin went #2 last year and had similar issue, just not a big an age gap.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”

Last edited by frozenntimesports; 04-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
They can swap with Columbus if they want to and draft Murray #2 if they are sure Columbus is going to take Yapukov. Grigorienko is the best player in this draft and is likely going to Montreal.

Grigorienko is going to take longer. He is nine months younger than Yapukov and at this age it matters a great deal. He's also a playmaker which means Alex Avstin may never see the bigs in Montreal.
Grigorenko the best in the draft? He's not even the best forward! (yakupov). I'd definitely put Murray ahead of Grig.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jackets never catch a break...bummer. How do the Oilers land #1 three years in a row? That's crazy. Hope the Jackets can land Yakupov, but we all know how Russians in Columbus turn out...
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

how many more 1st overall picks do the oilers need to draft before they become good...again

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
how many more 1st overall picks do the oilers need to draft before they become good...again
Took Pittsburgh 4 of them (well 2 were #2 but still). So one more.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

trade it for rick nash? but really if hall and rnh can stay healthy and they add yakupov they could have the pizza line part 2
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
trade it for rick nash? but really if hall and rnh can stay healthy and they add yakupov they could have the pizza line part 2
Eberle is better then both, there is the 1st line right there. They need defense
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
No way in hell the Jackets trade Nash to move up one spot, unless Eberle, Hall, or RNH are involved.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Grigorenko the best in the draft? He's not even the best forward! (yakupov). I'd definitely put Murray ahead of Grig.
Grigorienko is going to be the better player long term. Check back in seven years.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

I know nothing about hockey as far as trade value goes - but would a Nash for the #1 pick be insane for either team?

Columbus drafts #1 and 2 would have to go a long way towards rebuilding with Jack Johnson and their other younger guys.

Oilers would be crazy? Columbus would?

I only really know FB and BKB as far as realistic trades.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I know nothing about hockey as far as trade value goes - but would a Nash for the #1 pick be insane for either team?

Columbus drafts #1 and 2 would have to go a long way towards rebuilding with Jack Johnson and their other younger guys.

Oilers would be crazy? Columbus would?

I only really know FB and BKB as far as realistic trades.
I've done more in depth explaining on SCF, but if the a Nash-for-#1 pick trade would be absolute highway robbery for the Oilers, especially in a generally weak draft.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

so this is a strong class coming up ?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yakupov is and has been the clear #1 pick and from what I've been hearing the Oilers aren't likely to trade the pick b/c of his incredible upside, similar to Hall and RNH. Either way, it's ridiculous they got the top pick again and I can't wait to see what they do in the coming years.
Lenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

So no more excuses - we better make the playoffs next year.
The team, the city and the fans know this - it's time.

They will Take Nail hands down, unless something crazy in a #1 D-man becomes available - like a Doughty or a Weber.

"swapping" is out of the question, but a trade down to 2 or 3 isn't.

Trade to # 2 to pick up the big #2 center in Grigs or to #3 to get their D-man (either way the trade comes with a defenseman).

easier to try to sign a UFA D-Man (sell them on the talent we have coming up) like Suter, or Garrison in the off season, than it is to develope one (could be 3 years +).

Don't underestimate the need to win......soon!

Either way, this #1 pick was a fairly big surprise, but I'll take it!
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

I see the Oil trading down maybe even down to Tor as I'm sure they could get a lot from the Leafs
Crusader71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I'm kind of picturing Nash heading to Toronto or Montreal so CBJs end up with two first rounders this year.

I don't think Montreal would be out of their minds to trade their #1 along with Gomez (take this off our hands please like you did with Philly's Carter contract) for Nash and whatever other players and picks you have to toss in to sell the deal.

Same for Toronto. CBJS go into rebuild mode part 6 (or is it 7 now), Nash moves back into Canadian spotlight (might be able to sell a card or two). Makes sense.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

18.8 % chance to win first overall pick and the Oilers get it for the THIRD STRAIGHT YEAR. Nothing against the Oilers but it's time to change the format because this isn't working. The Oilers are a strong organization that's already loaded with some of the top young talent in hockey. Columbus as a franchise is in dire straights and they needed something to draw some excitement to the team....besides, it's not like they can be accused of tanking games down the stretch ala the Pens when Mario was coming out. Time to adjust the lottery system.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader71 View Post
I see the Oil trading down maybe even down to Tor as I'm sure they could get a lot from the Leafs
Naw, Brian Burke is going to trade down so he can draft Cody Ceci, an Ontario born player, and then never let him see the NHL, because Burke always drafts ontario players but never plays Ontario players.

Burke needs to go.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

F**k the Oilers, there needs to be a god damn rule to prevent this from happening. Oh well, good luck trying to sign all these top picks in five years!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

i really dont like grigrenkl im a habs fan i see him as a typical russian big, talented and lazy, he thinks its all about him i think montreal should take fillip forsberg
hockeykid_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Wait, have they picked first like 3 years in a row or something?
jp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp98 View Post
Wait, have they picked first like 3 years in a row or something?
Yes, this'll be their third straight #1 pick. Kinda sad how the NHL Draft Lottery works.

At least they have fans who support them through this rebuild, unlike some other teams (cough cough Pittsburgh, cough Chicago, cough Washington, cough a couple of other teams).
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid_97 View Post
i really dont like grigrenkl im a habs fan i see him as a typical russian big, talented and lazy, he thinks its all about him i think montreal should take fillip forsberg
Grigorienko is a playmaker more than a goal scorer. He looks lazy because he makes it look easy. Reminds me of Adam Oates... he won't be as prolific as Oates was, but that's what he reminds me of.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Grigorienko is a playmaker more than a goal scorer. He looks lazy because he makes it look easy. Reminds me of Adam Oates... he won't be as prolific as Oates was, but that's what he reminds me of.
Ive been hearing a lot of stuff about his work ethic which, apparently, is not very good. Being the city that Montreal is I wouldn't dare touch him

Yes he's a great player, but the NHL and OHL games differ greatly. Can he really get away with a poor work ethic in a professional league where mistakes are few and far between?

I wouldn't touch him. I'd love for the Leafs to get him at five, but Montreal doesn't seem like a good fit for him.