Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Shea Weber will probably be suspended

Shea Weber head smash on Zetterberg Detroit Red Wings vs Nashville Predators 4/11/12 NHL Hockey - YouTube

This was just bad. Worse then a bad check in the head, he obviously intended to do this. Am I out of line thinking he'll be suspended?
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

In an ideal NHL there'd be no suspension for that. But in Shanaban's NHL that'll probably be 3-5 games. Sad to think that just 10 years ago Shanahan himself was doing stuff like this all the time and getting away with it. Oh well.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
In an ideal NHL there'd be no suspension for that. But in Shanaban's NHL that'll probably be 3-5 games. Sad to think that just 10 years ago Shanahan himself was doing stuff like this all the time and getting away with it. Oh well.
So it's okay to slam someones head onto the glass? In any NHL that shouldn't be allowed. Shea meant to do that, it is worse then some flying elbow in the middle of a fast pace game. I was shocked to see it, he went overboard.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just my opinion but Zetterberg came in with a nice 2-handed slash across the thigh and then came up high while Weber had his back turned. Not justifying, but that's enough to piss the average player off. Throw in the fact the clock is at 2seconds with the puck all but dead in the corner and that just adds to it.

I don't think that's the same as a flying elbow. This was more reactionary than predatory. Needless to say, I wouldn't want to run into Weber in a dark alley...
Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandPensfan View Post
Just my opinion but Zetterberg came in with a nice 2-handed slash across the thigh and then came up high while Weber had his back turned. Not justifying, but that's enough to piss the average player off. Throw in the fact the clock is at 2seconds with the puck all but dead in the corner and that just adds to it.

I don't think that's the same as a flying elbow. This was more reactionary than predatory. Needless to say, I wouldn't want to run into Weber in a dark alley...
What Zetterberg did is normal, it's like a face wash, whatever, that happens 100 times a game. I've never seen someone slam someone's head into the boards on purpose.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Poor discipline by Weber but that should only be 1 game at the most unless Zetterberg is out for an extended period of time from that which I doubt he will be. Wonder what happened to piss him off like that because I don't know Weber to be that type of player ? Didn't see it live but I saw Mike Modano was laughing about it or what Billy Jaffe said about it on NHL Network. Something tells me Shanny won't be laughing though since it looked worse than it probably was. I'm guessing Weber gets a phone call or at most game two off.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Poor discipline by Weber but that should only be 1 game at the most unless Zetterberg is out for an extended period of time from that which I doubt he will be. Wonder what happened to piss him off like that because I don't know Weber to be that type of player ? Didn't see it live but I saw Mike Modano was laughing about it or what Billy Jaffe said about it on NHL Network. Something tells me Shanny won't be laughing though since it looked worse than it probably was. I'm guessing Weber gets a phone call or at most game two off.
I think he'll get a game, I like Weber, and was shocked he did it. Especially after they won.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

That one falls into the "what the hell was he thinking" pile.

It doesn't look like Zetterberg is hurt so I'm thinking one game.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you don't suspend for things like this, then you might as well not do any kind of suspensions.

Intent to injure...check.

I'm also a big believer in not doing idiotic things like this during the playoffs that bring attention to crap in the game so Weber would be sitting for 2-3 here.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

$2,500 fine, that's it. Forgot we don't suspend players in the playoffs

"We felt this was a reckless and reactionary play on which Weber threw a glancing punch and then shoved Zetterberg's head into the glass," said NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan. "We reached out to Detroit following the game and were informed that Zetterberg did not suffer an apparent injury and should be in the lineup for Game 2.

So if he was injured he'd be suspended? That makes no sense

Last edited by nuccionino; 04-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
$2,500 fine, that's it. Forgot we don't suspend players in the playoffs

"We felt this was a reckless and reactionary play on which Weber threw a glancing punch and then shoved Zetterberg's head into the glass," said NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan. "We reached out to Detroit following the game and were informed that Zetterberg did not suffer an apparent injury and should be in the lineup for Game 2.

So if he was injured he'd be suspended? That makes no sense
What a joke, since when is grabbing an opponent by the back of the helmet and ramming his head into the glass a reactionary play? Mental, yes...reactionary, no. Once again, the WRONG message being sent to the league when the battle of head injuries continues. Kaleta got 5 games for headbutting when no injury occurred, but this is a fine? This should have been a clear example to the league that this will not be tolerated, but now its open season if it is only a 2,500 fine.

Note to Philly players, looks like it is okay to ram Crosby's head into the glass.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Weber will get his before the playoffs are over. The guy is an overrated bum who wouldn't be out of place in an industrial hockey league.
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
What a joke, since when is grabbing an opponent by the back of the helmet and ramming his head into the glass a reactionary play? Mental, yes...reactionary, no. Once again, the WRONG message being sent to the league when the battle of head injuries continues. Kaleta got 5 games for headbutting when no injury occurred, but this is a fine? This should have been a clear example to the league that this will not be tolerated, but now its open season if it is only a 2,500 fine.

Note to Philly players, looks like it is okay to ram Crosby's head into the glass.
Oh my Lord...if Zac Rinaldo did this to Sidney Crosby. Automatic 5-10 game suspension. The league enforcement of suspensions/penalties/fines is a total inconsistent joke.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

It was a total shitbag move by Weber. Should have been at least 1 game suspension.