Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Hockey

I've been wanting to branch out a little into the hockey collecting world. For the first 10 years of collecting I ONLY bought basketball. For the last 6 years I slowed on basketball and bought mostly football and baseball.

NOW...the time has come to venture into the world of hockey! What should I be looking to buy? I don't really want a lot of base...mainly looking for mid-high end products. I watched a couple breaks and it seems like The Cup is a biggie. Any others out there?

Also, I'm not much into the year because everything would be new to me. Just mainly looking to bust some boxes with little base and nice hits. Thanks for the help!

Mouschi Customs: 2...and counting
ShtHairMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

The Cup is Exquisite, they just call it the Cup. SP Game Used is a fun rip, 6 packs, 6 hits and some RC's and stuff. A good mid-high end break. I busted one box in 2008/09 and pulled a 1/1 RC and auto /4. Limited is nice too. Below $100 break with great pulls. If you want to rip and flip, Series 1/2 when it comes out is almost a guarantee money maker.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
The Cup is Exquisite, they just call it the Cup. SP Game Used is a fun rip, 6 packs, 6 hits and some RC's and stuff. A good mid-high end break. I busted one box in 2008/09 and pulled a 1/1 RC and auto /4. Limited is nice too. Below $100 break with great pulls. If you want to rip and flip, Series 1/2 when it comes out is almost a guarantee money maker.
I appreciate the help. Yeah, The Cup stuff looks fantastic! And thanks for the info on SP Game Used.

Not really looking to rip and flip. Actually may be looking into a new area of this hobby...collecting! I might actually slow down on selling and just stockpile my cards. That's kind of why I don't want a lot of base cause that would make for too many useless boxes.

Thanks again for the advice and I'm looking forward to more comments and my first couple boxes of hockey soon!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtHairMcGee View Post
I appreciate the help. Yeah, The Cup stuff looks fantastic! And thanks for the info on SP Game Used.

Not really looking to rip and flip. Actually may be looking into a new area of this hobby...collecting! I might actually slow down on selling and just stockpile my cards. That's kind of why I don't want a lot of base cause that would make for too many useless boxes.

Thanks again for the advice and I'm looking forward to more comments and my first couple boxes of hockey soon!
What's collecting . Yea I only brought up Series 1/2 because it might be the best value for the case point in all of sports cards. I miss collecting hockey, but I refuse to deal internationally. Even Score hockey for $25 or so a box is a decent product how many times can you say you pull these out of a $25 hobby box, score at that.

2011-12 Score Hot Rookies Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Autograph SSP RARE AUTO OILERS | eBay

MARTIN BRODEUR 2010 SCORE ROOKIE COLLECTION AUTO SP/5 | eBay

I pulled Taylor Hall's RC auto in a 2010/11 Score box, sold it for $100 which I regret now, but score hockey has been a very nice low-end product.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I been thinking about getting into some hockey too! Watched the pens flyers game last night and after watching the flyers come back and win in OT after being down by 3 it made me more anxious to start buying some hockey wax. Not too familiar with good up and coming players and stuff but it'll be fun learnng more about the guys I don't know
Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
What's collecting . Yea I only brought up Series 1/2 because it might be the best value for the case point in all of sports cards. I miss collecting hockey, but I refuse to deal internationally. Even Score hockey for $25 or so a box is a decent product how many times can you say you pull these out of a $25 hobby box, score at that.

2011-12 Score Hot Rookies Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Autograph SSP RARE AUTO OILERS | eBay

MARTIN BRODEUR 2010 SCORE ROOKIE COLLECTION AUTO SP/5 | eBay

I pulled Taylor Hall's RC auto in a 2010/11 Score box, sold it for $100 which I regret now, but score hockey has been a very nice low-end product.
Wow, yeah, there's not much else you can ask for in a low end product like score to get a couple of those bad boys! It just seems like hockey fans spend good money on their cards so it seems like a decent investment ( I know, not a good investment but it's my hobby, right!?).

I might have to take a shot at a box of score just for kicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanke3z11 View Post
I been thinking about getting into some hockey too! Watched the pens flyers game last night and after watching the flyers come back and win in OT after being down by 3 it made me more anxious to start buying some hockey wax. Not too familiar with good up and coming players and stuff but it'll be fun learnng more about the guys I don't know
You saw that too, huh? Funny thing is I actually loved playing street hockey when I was in my teens and loved it. The Mighty Ducks were huge during that time and everyone was playing. It was much more enjoyable than any other sport I played because it also required skill that people aren't basically automatically born with like running.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtHairMcGee View Post
Wow, yeah, there's not much else you can ask for in a low end product like score to get a couple of those bad boys! It just seems like hockey fans spend good money on their cards so it seems like a decent investment ( I know, not a good investment but it's my hobby, right!?).

I might have to take a shot at a box of score just for kicks.

You saw that too, huh? Funny thing is I actually loved playing street hockey when I was in my teens and loved it. The Mighty Ducks were huge during that time and everyone was playing. It was much more enjoyable than any other sport I played because it also required skill that people aren't basically automatically born with like running.
Plus in score, they have SP RC's, 2010-11 was better, but still they hold their value. A lot better then football score. OPC is another great break that is low-end, $40 or so, chances at SP auto's, blank backs (rare), etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just an overall primer for new hockey guys;

Rookies;
05-06; Crosby, Ovechkin, Perry, Lundqvist, Parise, Getzlaf, etc....
06-07: Malkin
07-08; Kane, Toews
08-09; Stamkos, Giroux
09-10; Tavares
10-11; Hall, Seguin

There are other rookies obviously, but those are your main guns.

Every year The Cup, SP Authentic, and the regular UD series Young Guns (YG) are the primary RCs to hunt down.

This year, Stamkos, Giroux, and Tavares all opened eyes with their individual development. If you are starting off, I'd try to hit some 08-09 and 09-10 to try to have those RCs in a couple years. With the Oilers drafting #1 again, might be a short trip for their RCs to start hitting as well.

In other threads, I've recommended a couple nice sale cases of UD at the 200-400 range for prospectors. PM me if you want any other info.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote