Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,312
Default Nik Backstrom one game suspension

I guess retaliating against headhunting is a no-no in the NHL, especially when its the fair-haired Bruins and Colin Campbell's son is on the team.

Getting close to not wanting to even watch anymore as Shanahan makes a disgrace of himself on a daily basis. Fire Shanahan. Fire Bettman.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
joan1173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 3,077
Default

What are your thoughts on the Weber situation. Was the 2500 dollar fine enough?
__________________
Buying Super Bowl Ticket Autos from the 2010 Contenders Set!!!

http://s1213.beta.photobucket.com/user/joank1173/library/
joan1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan1173 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Weber situation. Was the 2500 dollar fine enough?
Didn't see it. I try not to watch manure-trough Western Conference hockey if I can avoid it.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,304
Default

That is BS. The league wants Boston to win, the bruins were targeting backstrom head all game and they were the one starting cheap shots at the end of plays. Peverly put his stick in backstrom's face and he gave him a shove. That should not be a suspension!

I hate Shanahan's guts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I guess retaliating against headhunting is a no-no in the NHL, especially when its the fair-haired Bruins and Colin Campbell's son is on the team.

Getting close to not wanting to even watch anymore as Shanahan makes a disgrace of himself on a daily basis. Fire Shanahan. Fire Bettman.
And Ovey get's a pass after almost taking Seidenbergs head off, it goes both ways Backstrom got what he deserved plain and simple! I just have to laugh when the Campbell comments come out, yea that's what happened, give me a break
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efish44 View Post
That is BS. The league wants Boston to win, the bruins were targeting backstrom head all game and they were the one starting cheap shots at the end of plays. Peverly put his stick in backstrom's face and he gave him a shove. That should not be a suspension!

I hate Shanahan's guts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do stupid #@#@#@#@ then you have to sit a game, the Bruins are far more disciplined, that's why they win Believe all the crap you read, a match penalty at game's end warrents a suspension, it's the damn league rules The only reason people are even talking about targeting Backstrom is because Hunter came out and made that comment to try to get an advantage for Thur. night, he knows they need it

Last edited by TASS; 04-17-2012 at 11:21 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,304
Default

the bruins are not as good as you say. They are not looking so good in this series and any of the 3 games could of went either way. Plus, if you believe that the b's are not targeting Backstrom's head then you are not watching the same hockey game that the rest of us are watching.
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efish44 View Post
the bruins are not as good as you say. They are not looking so good in this series and any of the 3 games could of went either way. Plus, if you believe that the b's are not targeting Backstrom's head then you are not watching the same hockey game that I am watching.
Ok, if you read any of my post's in the Game thread I have admitted the Bruins are not playing there game but still LEAD in this series, as far as headhunting on Backstrom I was at game 1 and have not missed any of the games, and if you think hitting Backstrom legally is headhunting keep reading the papers, the Bruins are not a dirty team and have not received a penalty for "said action" so I don't know what you are seeing that the refs have not seen. Where the Bruins are not playing well, Washington is playing as good as they can and they are still down in the series Good Day, and nice hack job on Marchand, but you don't see the Bruins and Julien crying in the press we don't need the help we willl defend oursleves!

Last edited by TASS; 04-18-2012 at 08:21 AM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
BostonNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,928
Default

You do realize that a match penalty results in an AUTOMATIC one game suspension right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I guess retaliating against headhunting is a no-no in the NHL, especially when its the fair-haired Bruins and Colin Campbell's son is on the team.

Getting close to not wanting to even watch anymore as Shanahan makes a disgrace of himself on a daily basis. Fire Shanahan. Fire Bettman.
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
BostonNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,928
Default

Care to comment on the Caps trying to castrate Marchand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by efish44 View Post
That is BS. The league wants Boston to win, the bruins were targeting backstrom head all game and they were the one starting cheap shots at the end of plays. Peverly put his stick in backstrom's face and he gave him a shove. That should not be a suspension!

I hate Shanahan's guts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Didn't see it. I try not to watch manure-trough Western Conference hockey if I can avoid it.
You are joking right? Unless you turn off the tv when it is intermission or something, there is no way you didn't see it. Weber still has the most dirty play of the playoffs and still wasn't suspended.

But yes, match penalties are basically an automatic suspension for the next game if they happen in the last 5 minutes. I believe.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Ok, if you read any of my post's in the Game thread I have admitted the Bruins are not playing there game but still LEAD in this series, as far as headhunting on Backstrom I was at game 1 and have not missed any of the games, and if you think hitting Backstrom legally is headhunting keep reading the papers, the Bruins are not a dirty team and have not received a penalty for "said action" so I don't know what you are seeing that the refs have not seen. Where the Bruins are not playing well, Washington is playing as good as they can and they are still down in the series Good Day, and nice hack job on Marchand, but you don't see the Bruins and Julien crying in the press we don't need the help we willl defend oursleves!
They don't need to cry in the press, they cry during the games. If you win, why would you cry in the press? And you must not watch Lucic at all when you are at the games because he has more after the whistle stuff and hits then the New Orleans Saints had all of last year - just sayin' Both of the teams are getting their shots in, please don't begin to say one is worse than the other. Why do you think the playoffs have become so ugly this year?? Because the Bruins played "tough" like that last year and won the Cup and more power to them. I'm just really tired of people complaining on here and elsewhere about it - you only hear people complain when its against their own team (not specifically calling you out at all TASS - this is just an example) Its going to take someone literally getting killed for this after the whistle/cheap shot BS to stop (hello Raffi Torres) Shanahan has lost all control - Backstrom getting a game was easy - the refs called a match penalty and that is automatic - Neal only getting one game was a joke and Weber getting a little fine was an embarrassment. I'm just saying look at the big picture, if this keeps up, hockey will never get the respect it deserves when all of the national sports highlights are late hits and brawls. I guess I'm getting to become an old fart because I love the hitting in hockey and love seeing guys drop the gloves, but not in the way its going in these playoffs. Hey Shanny - You can not dictate a suspension based on the history of a player or whether he is a star or not. Get a clue! Pretty simple, you crosscheck somebody in the face, you get 5 games. This stuff isn't going to stop. If the refs did not call a match penalty on Backstrom, I bet you he would be playing tonight with a big fine because he has no history with this stuff. Keep in mind these guys are playing for free right now - their salaries are paid and they don't get any extra money until after the second round of the playoffs - there is no longer respect amongst the players themselves so this is what you get - sorry for the long rant.
I pull scrubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
They don't need to cry in the press, they cry during the games. If you win, why would you cry in the press? And you must not watch Lucic at all when you are at the games because he has more after the whistle stuff and hits then the New Orleans Saints had all of last year - just sayin' Both of the teams are getting their shots in, please don't begin to say one is worse than the other. Why do you think the playoffs have become so ugly this year?? Because the Bruins played "tough" like that last year and won the Cup and more power to them. I'm just really tired of people complaining on here and elsewhere about it - you only hear people complain when its against their own team (not specifically calling you out at all TASS - this is just an example) Its going to take someone literally getting killed for this after the whistle/cheap shot BS to stop (hello Raffi Torres) Shanahan has lost all control - Backstrom getting a game was easy - the refs called a match penalty and that is automatic - Neal only getting one game was a joke and Weber getting a little fine was an embarrassment. I'm just saying look at the big picture, if this keeps up, hockey will never get the respect it deserves when all of the national sports highlights are late hits and brawls. I guess I'm getting to become an old fart because I love the hitting in hockey and love seeing guys drop the gloves, but not in the way its going in these playoffs. Hey Shanny - You can not dictate a suspension based on the history of a player or whether he is a star or not. Get a clue! Pretty simple, you crosscheck somebody in the face, you get 5 games. This stuff isn't going to stop. If the refs did not call a match penalty on Backstrom, I bet you he would be playing tonight with a big fine because he has no history with this stuff. Keep in mind these guys are playing for free right now - their salaries are paid and they don't get any extra money until after the second round of the playoffs - there is no longer respect amongst the players themselves so this is what you get - sorry for the long rant.
I Pull Scrubs, I hope your not calling me out because I think were two old farts that are saying the same thing! And I don't feel I'm saying one teams actions are worse than the others, I have been saying all along they are both at fault, and the one team that got the suspensions got em' because they broke a league rule that gives a mandatory (1) Game! Where I don't agree with all the BS that is happening after the whistle, I will defend the Bruins style of play which for the most part has been hard and clean during play, the BS after the whistle goes both ways and is not necessary.
I did not initiate this thread, but felt compelled to comment on the actions of Backstrom and the fact he received a league mandated (1) Game suspension, 'do the crime you have to do the time', as far as Hunter shooting his mouth off over 'Headhunting' alligations etc., that's the oldest trick in the books to garnish attention and attempt to get the 'benefit' next game , however one does not have to go far to see it's been pretty typical on both sides, let's just call a spade a spade and let the game be decided on the ice!
The Bruins have not even gotten into this series yet (you have (4) 20+ Goal scorers without a Goal) yet still lead the series! You tell me who has the advantage going forward, I would say it's pretty obvious GO B's GO!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TASS; 04-18-2012 at 01:44 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
I Pull Scrubs, I hope your not calling me out because I think were two old farts that are saying the same thing! And I don't feel I'm saying one teams actions are worse than the others, I have been saying all along they are both at fault, and the one team that got the suspensions got em' because they broke a league rule that gives a mandatory (1) Game! Where I don't agree with all the BS that is happening after the whistle, I will defend the Bruins style of play which for the most part has been hard and clean during play, the BS after the whistle goes both ways and is not necessary.
I did not initiate this thread, but felt compelled to comment on the actions of Backstrom and the fact he received a league mandated (1) Game suspension, 'do the crime you have to do the time', as far as Hunter shooting his mouth off over 'Headhunting' alligations etc., that's the oldest trick in the books to garnish attention and attempt to get the 'benefit' next game , however one does not have to go far to see it's been pretty typical on both sides, let's just call a spade a spade and let the game be decided on the ice!
The Bruins have not even gotten into this series yet (you have (4) 20+ Goal scorers without a Goal) yet still lead the series! You tell me who has the advantage going forward, I would say it's pretty obvious GO B's GO!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with your points, but initially thought they had a bias that it was the Caps as the dirty team when, as you state, both teams are doing the same thing. Ovechkin's high stick in game 2 should have warranted a couple game suspension but was swept under the rug - if the refs didn't see it, I guess Shanahan doesn't either - what a joke! I know its obvious, but if the B's win Thursday night, the series is over and as a Caps fan, I think that will happen with Backstrom and now Wideman out. These guys need to control themselves and keep the sticks down. Those first 2 games of the series were outstanding.
I pull scrubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
I agree with your points, but initially thought they had a bias that it was the Caps as the dirty team when, as you state, both teams are doing the same thing. Ovechkin's high stick in game 2 should have warranted a couple game suspension but was swept under the rug - if the refs didn't see it, I guess Shanahan doesn't either - what a joke! I know its obvious, but if the B's win Thursday night, the series is over and as a Caps fan, I think that will happen with Backstrom and now Wideman out. These guys need to control themselves and keep the sticks down. Those first 2 games of the series were outstanding.
From a Bruins Fan's standpoint those games and most of Game 3 for me were very frustrating, especially when you have such 'high' expectations for your team. I don't know how many games outside of the Capitals games you have seen the Bruins play this year, and regardless there effort was rather lackadaisical to say the least.
Bruins Fan's know that we have 4 very capable lines with (6) 20+ Goal scorers of which only (1) Chris Kelly has scored. Where I know Washington's defense along with exceptional Goaltending has contributed to their demise, I also know if they, as a Team give an honest 60 Min. effort the outcome will be unlike the first 3 Games which came down to either OT or the last minute.
As a Caps Fan you have to be disappointed at there lack of discipline, as well as a Coach who feels HIS team has played a straight up clean game, as opposed to those "Headhunting" Bad Boy's from Beantown
Enjoy the remainder of the series and let's hope for some good Clean Hard Hitting hockey
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
From a Bruins Fan's standpoint those games and most of Game 3 for me were very frustrating, especially when you have such 'high' expectations for your team. I don't know how many games outside of the Capitals games you have seen the Bruins play this year, and regardless there effort was rather lackadaisical to say the least.
Bruins Fan's know that we have 4 very capable lines with (6) 20+ Goal scorers of which only (1) Chris Kelly has scored. Where I know Washington's defense along with exceptional Goaltending has contributed to their demise, I also know if they, as a Team give an honest 60 Min. effort the outcome will be unlike the first 3 Games which came down to either OT or the last minute.
As a Caps Fan you have to be disappointed at there lack of discipline, as well as a Coach who feels HIS team has played a straight up clean game, as opposed to those "Headhunting" Bad Boy's from Beantown
Enjoy the remainder of the series and let's hope for some good Clean Hard Hitting hockey
Anything is better than this pond hockey between Pitt & Philly - 8 minors in one period and 7 goals - I hope Ottawa can make a game of it in the 2nd period so I can stick with that one.
I pull scrubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
Anything is better than this pond hockey between Pitt & Philly - 8 minors in one period and 7 goals - I hope Ottawa can make a game of it in the 2nd period so I can stick with that one.
Sens just tied the game late in the 2nd, can't watch that floor hockey game in Philly, both teams have serious defensive issues.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Didn't see it. I try not to watch manure-trough Western Conference hockey if I can avoid it.
care to define manure trough hockey for me please?

you mean the 45 goals scored in the 4 games of Penguin/Flyers series?

So because the Western Conference typically plays a better defensive style...that means its manure trough?

its this kind of arrogant-elitist borderline prickish attiude that reflects poorly on you. Just like your attitude and comments towards the Predators and their fans.
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
BostonNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,928
Default

I don't want to speak for KMD but the Nashville Predators just scream "GIMICK" to me. To their cheerleaders...cheerleaders!?!....to their gigantic HONKY TOWN banner or whatever it says that they have hanging in their barn....it's all just so tacky.

They are a great team no doubt...it's just that they need some history...or maybe a change of venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
care to define manure trough hockey for me please?

you mean the 45 goals scored in the 4 games of Penguin/Flyers series?

So because the Western Conference typically plays a better defensive style...that means its manure trough?

its this kind of arrogant-elitist borderline prickish attiude that reflects poorly on you. Just like your attitude and comments towards the Predators and their fans.
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I don't want to speak for KMD but the Nashville Predators just scream "GIMICK" to me. To their cheerleaders...cheerleaders!?!....to their gigantic HONKY TOWN banner or whatever it says that they have hanging in their barn....it's all just so tacky.

They are a great team no doubt...it's just that they need some history...or maybe a change of venue.
While i agree somewhat, it is what it is.

Ive never actually attended a game (not enough funds to do so) i can see where the "cheerleaders" and "between period concerts" featuring country music stars could come off as tacky.

But..unfortunately for me since i live here..Nashville is known as "Music City" and the home of "Country Music". As you and others have pointed out..no doubt they do not have the tradition or history as other teams. But that is why they need said "gimmicks", at least to an extent. To draw in new fans.

Now maybe since they have proven the last 2 seasons that they can be legit contenders, and the fans have proven how loyal they are (setting a franchise record 25 home game sellouts...destroying the last record of 20 in 99/00).

The comment was meant more towards his disrespectful attitude he has shown the past 2 years towards them as a hockey team and their accomplishments (see last years playoff prediction thread..and he also had a snide comment in this years playoff prediction thread).

You can say what you want about the "gimmick", but as far as on ice hockey...you cant argue they havent finally taken a step and proven they are among the elite teams on the ice today.
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.