Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
Default Fedotenko stays in Pittsburg even if a healthy scratch

Ruslan Fedotenko signed a one year deal with Pittsburgh just moments ago for under 2 million (1.8 millon).
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Moderator
 
pskell02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 15,688
Send a message via AIM to pskell02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
Ruslan Fedotenko signed a one year deal with Pittsburgh just moments ago for under 2 million (1.8 millon).
Good move by the Pens. The guy is a big time playoff guy. 21 points in 24 games is worth it to me. Leaves them about $3 mil to sign a d-man to play alongside Go-Go.
__________________
Looking for - Nick Kingham, Blake Taylor, Gregory Polanco, and Alen Hanson
pskell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post

Madden Analysis: A center to take pressure off of John Toews (who showed it late last season) and a penalty kill expert. I think this move, even more than Hossa, makes Chicago a contender. (Over Under 10 Short Handed Goals/ Over)
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but do you know anything about what you're writing? You're predicting John Madden will score over 10 shorthanded goals next season? John Madden scored 7 goals IN TOTAL this past year, and only 1 was shorthanded. In his career of 712 games, he has a total of 17 shorthanded goals. Only two guys in the history of the NHL have scored over 10 shorthanded goals in a season -- Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. I somehow doubt that John Madden, at age 36, will join that company.

On the heals of your ridiculous Booth predictions, I couldn't not say something. This is absurd.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but do you know anything about what you're writing? You're predicting John Madden will score over 10 shorthanded goals next season? John Madden scored 7 goals IN TOTAL this past year, and only 1 was shorthanded. In his career of 712 games, he has a total of 17 shorthanded goals. Only two guys in the history of the NHL have scored over 10 shorthanded goals in a season -- Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. I somehow doubt that John Madden, at age 36, will join that company.

On the heals of your ridiculous Booth predictions, I couldn't not say something. This is absurd.

You are correct, I over-estimated the shorthanded goals thing. I looked at special teams goals he had over the last few years, and was figuring special teams goals, not SHG.

I stand by the Booth prediction. I think it will be next year but at some point the kid is 50 goal + scorer.

I was a hockey analyst for a newspaper that was read in all 50 states and Canada, so yeah, I think I know what I'm talking about.

Goals are going to be easier to come by next year, the teams are figuring out how to get around the "new trap", if you don't buy it check out the way the Flyers were playing mid-season, that team gets it. Florida is getting good real fast, there won't be as much defensive pressure on Booth next year. He dealt with a lot of 2 on 1s, something Alex Ovechkin and Marian Hossa didn't see a ton of because of the players around them, which is why I see a stratospheric rise.

This is the next Jason Blake in an era where scoring is going to be going up.

Any idiot can burn down a barn, why don't you explain why my predictions are ridiculous?

Anyway, I dug this out from October 2007 for the 2007-08 season, lets see how badly I missed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
The waiting game sucks.

To make a long story short, I'm working a case and there is a lot of waiting involved. Having the attention span of a 5 year old (that may be generous) and working with two other hockey fans who have similar problems, we got into an argument predicting next year's award winners etc. Even the security guard got into it with us (do not argue with a man who carries a taser).

Anyway, its August, two months to go, probably a few more deals to be made, but here's my fearless forecast for next season:

1. Art Ross (Most Points): Sidney Crosby, has too much firepower around him. This kid might have 100 assists next season. Runners up Alex Ovechkin and Joe Sakic.

2. Calder (Top Rookie): Niklas Backstrom, might score 100 points dishing the puck off to Ovechkin and Semin. Runners up Schremp and Esposito.

3. Selke (Top Defensive Forward): Daniel Alfredsson, not only is he an offensive force but he's defensively responsible. Runners up Armstrong, Roy, and Kovalchuk (OK just kidding on the last one).

4. Hart (MVP): Sidney Crosby, the other top players in the league are on teams that are not going anywhere this year, and as much as it pains me to admit this, he's probably the best player in the league for now, but since power forwards take longer to develop, I expect Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin to pass Crosby, but not necessarily in that order. Runners up Alfredsson & Spezza. Two top Ottawa candidates take votes away from each other.

5. Norris (Best Defenseman): Keith Ballard, now the leader of the Coyotes defense corps and as good as any defenseman in the league. He will not score as often as Phaneuf, and he won't obliterate an opponent like Suter and Weber do in Nashville, but he's the next Lidstrom-esque defender. Runners up: Lidstrom and Weber.

6. Lady Byng (Biggest Turtle... er most Sportsmanlike Player): Not that anyone cares, but it probably won't be Jason Blake. I have no idea on this one.

7. Pearson (Players Choice MVP): Daniel Alfredsson. I can't see the players giving it to Sid twice in a row. Runners up Crosby & Spezza.

8. Rocket Richard Trophy (Most Goals): Alexander Ovechkin, who will have the best player not in the NHL dishing him the puck. Finally he won't have to do it on his own and could net 65-70 goals. 55-60 is more likely. Runners up Kovalchuk and Gagne. Someone has to score in Atlanta, and while it will take a while for Gagne to mesh with Briere, watch out because Ovechkin will have competition if it happens fast enough.

9. Crozier (Best Save Percentage): Roberto Luongo, that guy will see more rubber than a motel that rents by the hour. Vancouver's defense is awful and they left him out on his own a lot last year, that will likely continue. Runners up Kiprusoff and Backstrom

10. Vezina (Top Goaltender): Martin Brodeur. He had possibly his best season last year and shows no signs of slowing down. To be the man, you've got to beat the man, and while several have gone after his throne (Kipper, Luongo, Boucher) in the past, no one has been able to wrest the title. Runners up Theodore and Boucher. The time is right for these two to get their careers back on track, and I expect both of them will.


11. Worst Signing: Ryan Smyth. What exactly does he do to merit $6 million over 5 years? What kind of play do you expect from him when he's 37?

12. Best Signing: Gary Roberts. With the high wire act that is Pittsburgh, a calming influence in veteran Gary Roberts isn't a luxury, its a necessity. They may put a letter on him this year.

13. Fastest Rising Star: Evgeni Malkin. Sid is great and Jordan is great too, but Evgeni Malkin will be the straw that stirs the drink.

14. End of the Line: Jaromir Jagr. This may be the year father time catches up with Jaromir Jagr and knocks him out of the elite category.

1. Close race, Crosby 103 points in 77 games (injury time), Malkin 113, Ovechkin 110. Had been healthy the whole season, he might have won it. You don't predict injuries (unless its Marian Gaborik)

2. Close, I didn't think Kane or Toews would break camp with the Blackhawks that season, because Chicago was saying they wouldn't. Backstrom was 1st runner up and a lot of analysts think that the voters got that one wrong.

3. Miss, I figured Ottawa would put it all together in 2007-08 didn't count on the wheels falling off.

4. Miss, but had Sidney Crosby not been hurt he would have been in the discussion, he probably should have been, Jarome Iginla had 98 points that year, Sid had 103 while missing time. This is a miss but not a terrible one.

5. Miss, but I had Nicklas Lidstrom in the discussion. Ballard was looking like he was going to wear the Captain C in Phoenix, not sure why that didn't happen. I also saw Weber coming, so this is not a terrible one.

6. Does anyone really care about the Lady Byng?

7. Miss, I misunderestimated how good Washington would get with AO in charge. Since there is no real record of how NHL players voted, its hard to know how far down the Kid was.

8. Direct hit. Granted betting on AO to lead in goals is like betting on it going below zero in Allentown in February, but still, direct hit.

9. Miss, but not by much. Anyone who went out on a limb and said Dan Ellis was going to have a monster season would have been laughed at, but he won it. Luongo was .016% behind.

10. Direct hit. Not a reach there, I blew it on the runners up, but I've always had a bias towards guys I've played with or against.

11. Direct hit. 14 goals, 23 assists, $5.5 million. Nice signing Colorado.

12. Direct hit. I think you can give Gary Roberts some credit for the 2008-09 championship because he helped teach those guys how to play in the playoffs. Tell me you didn't see some Gary Roberts abrasiveness in Malkin this year.

13. Direct hit. Lead the NHL with 113 points. Jury is still out on who will be the better pro, Malkin or AO, but its not a ridiculous question anymore.

14. Direct hit. Jagr had the quietest 71 points in the NHL that season, and that was a 25 point drop from the previous season's 96. Next stop the KHL.


I think I did alright.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
1. Close race, Crosby 103 points in 77 games (injury time), Malkin 113, Ovechkin 110. Had been healthy the whole season, he might have won it. You don't predict injuries (unless its Marian Gaborik)
Crosby had 72 points this season. He was 40 (!) points behind Ovechkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
2. Close, I didn't think Kane or Toews would break camp with the Blackhawks that season, because Chicago was saying they wouldn't. Backstrom was 1st runner up and a lot of analysts think that the voters got that one wrong.
This was actually a solid pick. Although he did not win the Calder, Backstrom was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
3. Miss, I figured Ottawa would put it all together in 2007-08 didn't count on the wheels falling off.
Incorrect pick here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
4. Miss, but had Sidney Crosby not been hurt he would have been in the discussion, he probably should have been, Jarome Iginla had 98 points that year, Sid had 103 while missing time. This is a miss but not a terrible one.
Again, Crosby didn't have 103 points this year. He had 72. Ovechkin was a run away winner considering he has 7 fewer goals than Crosby had points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
5. Miss, but I had Nicklas Lidstrom in the discussion. Ballard was looking like he was going to wear the Captain C in Phoenix, not sure why that didn't happen. I also saw Weber coming, so this is not a terrible one.
How is this not a poor one? You picked Keith freaking Ballard to win the Norris. If you don't think this is a poor choice, of course you won't think it was a poor choice when Booth doesn't touch 60 goals next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
6. Does anyone really care about the Lady Byng?
I don't even need to comment more on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
7. Miss, I misunderestimated how good Washington would get with AO in charge. Since there is no real record of how NHL players voted, its hard to know how far down the Kid was.
Considering Crosby wasn't a finalist for the Pearson, I think it's fair to say he was PRETTY FAR down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
8. Direct hit. Granted betting on AO to lead in goals is like betting on it going below zero in Allentown in February, but still, direct hit.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
9. Miss, but not by much. Anyone who went out on a limb and said Dan Ellis was going to have a monster season would have been laughed at, but he won it. Luongo was .016% behind.
It wasn't just Ellis that was ahead of Luongo though... there were THIRTEEN goalies ahead of Luongo in SV%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
10. Direct hit. Not a reach there, I blew it on the runners up, but I've always had a bias towards guys I've played with or against.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
11. Direct hit. 14 goals, 23 assists, $5.5 million. Nice signing Colorado.
Predicted Ryan Smyth would be a bad contract... when he had scored 68 points COMBINED in the past two seasons prior. Bold! Smyth, funnily enough, put up 59 points this year in a very solid season (still the same contract). Off the top of my head, Scott Gomez was a MUCH worse contract. Danny Briere was a poor contract. Michael Nylander is a horrible and worse contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
12. Direct hit. I think you can give Gary Roberts some credit for the 2008-09 championship because he helped teach those guys how to play in the playoffs. Tell me you didn't see some Gary Roberts abrasiveness in Malkin this year.
Predicted Gary Roberts to be the best signing in the NHL. Amazingly, despite not playing in Pittsburgh this year, he's partially responsible for that Cup for his contribution the year before. That's quite a leap. Not only that, but Roberts had two goals all season after Christmas (in the same game, no less)... why? Because he was never on the ice! As for better contracts, if you want to credit a guy for helping a team win a Cup, how about someone who actually won the Cup with his new team while he was there? Brian Rafalski was a better signing. How about Dan Ellis as a good contract when he lead the league in SV%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
13. Direct hit. Lead the NHL with 113 points. Jury is still out on who will be the better pro, Malkin or AO, but its not a ridiculous question anymore.
Um, he scored 106 points that year and did not lead the NHL in points. Nonetheless, he did have a great year. Hard to say it was unexpected or he was a "rising star" when he was the reigning Rookie of the Year... Given that, it's arguable that Getzlaf actually "rose" more during that season. Mike Richards, who jumped from 32 points to 75 points, definitely was more of a rising star (not a better player, but more of a riser considering Malkin was coming off a ROY).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
14. Direct hit. Jagr had the quietest 71 points in the NHL that season, and that was a 25 point drop from the previous season's 96. Next stop the KHL.
Your "end of the line" pick recorded 1 fewer point than your MVP pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I think I did alright.
Honestly, I'm not that impressed. It's amusing how smug you come off at the end with that, but what there was so impressive? You picked Ovechkin to score the most goals and you picked Brodeur to win the Vezina. So you picked the best goal scorer in the NHL to, well, score... and the winningest goalie in history (and recipient of three of the prior four Vezinas) to be the best goalie. Honestly, I think your best call was the Backstrom pick despite being wrong. But even then, his only real competition was Kane (who beat him), Toews (who was a runner-up with him), and maybe a few people who might have thought EJ/Gagner/Mueller (except for EJ maybe, the other two are a clear cut below talent wise though)? Backstrom was heralded as one of the best, if not the best, prospect to come out of Europe in the past few years.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I was a hockey analyst for a newspaper that was read in all 50 states and Canada, so yeah, I think I know what I'm talking about.
I'd love to see some of your work, know what paper this was, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Any idiot can burn down a barn, why don't you explain why my predictions are ridiculous?
Well, I think I already won that John Madden debate pretty clearly considering everyone can agree that he's not the next coming of Gretzky or Lemieux as Madden ages into his late 30's...

As for Booth, I laid it out pretty clearly. He's not going to score more GOALS this year than he had POINTS last year. He has 56 career goals in 193 career games. I think that's reason enough as to why he's not going to score 61 goals. I also noted that nobody in the NHL not named Ovechkin topped 46 last year. Since 1992-93, the only guys to top 60 goals are Lemieux, Jagr, and Ovechkin. David Booth really belongs in this company, eh?

When you add up all the above factors, what do you get? RIDICULOUS! Take note of the fact that of all the predictions you made for the 07-08 season, the only ones that were right were relatively slam dunk picks (Ovechkin, Brodeur)... none of your ridiculous picks came close to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
This is the next Jason Blake in an era where scoring is going to be going up.
Wait... you just compared the guy you think will score 61 goals to Jason Blake? The same Jason Blake that has a career high of 40 goals and has otherwise never gone over 28 goals? In his last seven seasons, in all of which he's played at least 75 games, he's averaging 23.3 goals per season. So is Booth the next Jason Blake (a guy that sits in the 20 goal range regularly) or a guy that will net 61 next year (the company of Lemieux, Jagr, and Ovechkin)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Goals are going to be easier to come by next year, the teams are figuring out how to get around the "new trap", if you don't buy it check out the way the Flyers were playing mid-season, that team gets it.
You mean the Philadelphia Flyers? The team that scored 3.22 goals per game before the ASG and 3.11 goals per game after? What exactly did they figure out again? How to score fewer goals? Their goals allowed ALSO went down as the season went on... meaning both the Flyers and their opponents were scoring less later in the season. Did they unfigure it out after mid-season or did they just decide they'd like to win by fewer goals? Please, enlighten us with your newspaper credentialed hockey analysis! Your turn.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
Crosby had 72 points this season. He was 40 (!) points behind Ovechkin.
I think you need to read posts before responding to them. These were predictions for 2007-08, not 2008-09.

As for my writing, most of it pre-dates the internet, I'm not sure it is archived. I have a few political pieces I know are still out there, but I doubt the sports columns are still around.


You can call my analysis ridiculous, its OK. I won't hate you for it. I'll admit that I have chased rabbits before... but now I'm done writing about this...I'd much rather look forward than look back.

...and yeah, I have a stack of 500 Pat Falloon rookie cards, 200 Scott Scissons rookie cards, 200 Brad Isbister rookie cards, and probably 100 Brian Boucher rookie cards sitting around to remind me that my predictions don't always come true. I hope you don't have a similar stack if you invest in this era's cards, that would be an expensive pile of crap.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”

Last edited by frozenntimesports; 07-04-2009 at 03:22 AM.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I think you need to read posts before responding to them. These were predictions for 2007-08, not 2008-09.

As for my writing, most of it pre-dates the internet, I'm not sure it is archived. I have a few political pieces I know are still out there, but I doubt the sports columns are still around.

You can call my analysis ridiculous, its OK. I won't hate you for it. I'll admit that I have chased rabbits before... but now I'm done writing about this...I'd much rather look forward than look back.

...and yeah, I have a stack of 500 Pat Falloon rookie cards, 200 Scott Scissons rookie cards, 200 Brad Isbister rookie cards, and probably 100 Brian Boucher rookie cards sitting around to remind me that my predictions don't always come true. I hope you don't have a similar stack if you invest in this era's cards, that would be an expensive pile of crap.


Also, still wondering, what paper is this that is read in 50 stats + Canada?
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
ilovethelakings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Mexico
Posts: 14,920
Default

USA Today? Hockey News? Come on and tell us who you wrote for.
__________________
Looking for A&G sized minis and Topps Olympic relics, pins, etc. for my daughter and refractors for my son
Personal GU's Favs: Kings, Angels, Broncos, Packers, Steelers, international teams
Don't drink and break. It's the law.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
Default Ryan Smyth Waives No Trade Clause to Kings

Ryan Smyth was traded to LA from Colorado for Quincey, Preising, and a fifth round pick late last night. I wonder if he is the missing piece to the Kings playoffs hopes next season?
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I think you need to read posts before responding to them. These were predictions for 2007-08, not 2008-09.

As for my writing, most of it pre-dates the internet, I'm not sure it is archived. I have a few political pieces I know are still out there, but I doubt the sports columns are still around.


You can call my analysis ridiculous, its OK. I won't hate you for it. I'll admit that I have chased rabbits before... but now I'm done writing about this...I'd much rather look forward than look back.

...and yeah, I have a stack of 500 Pat Falloon rookie cards, 200 Scott Scissons rookie cards, 200 Brad Isbister rookie cards, and probably 100 Brian Boucher rookie cards sitting around to remind me that my predictions don't always come true. I hope you don't have a similar stack if you invest in this era's cards, that would be an expensive pile of crap.
Brian Boucher is playing for the Flyers (two years 925,000 a season, one way contract) and could earn the No 1 job if Emery's temper flares up. If he earns the No. 1 job, it could be easier to move your Boucher rookies.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Don't understand Chicago and the Hossa deal. The guy never delivers in the big games, you have a young up and coming team and you bring in Mr. Underachiever for them to learn from ? Is there that much pressure to win NOW in Chicago ? I doubt it, as even the most fair weather fan can see they are building something good in Chicago. Shocked with that move to say the least.

Hated to see Knuble go to the Caps and then Ian Laperriere bought in shortly afterwards. Knuble claims the Flyers lowballed him. Maybe his age and disappearing act in the playoffs had something to do with that ? Guess Homer sees Ian as a Max Talbot type who can throw em a lot better ? Boucher is a great backup goalie but has proven on more then one occasion he can't handle a heavy workload anymore and still be consistent. I sure hope Emery plays like a guy who needs a contract next year. Something tells me he will as money drives todays athelete like nothing else can.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but ....

Really ? You seem to be doing a hell of a job of being just that around here. Try toning it down a little with the rabbit-esq dissecting of other people's opinions. Its not just in this thread either. Its one thing to disagree and have your own opinion, its another to try and make an *ss out of someone.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Don't understand Chicago and the Hossa deal. The guy never delivers in the big games, you have a young up and coming team and you bring in Mr. Underachiever for them to learn from ? Is there that much pressure to win NOW in Chicago ? I doubt it, as even the most fair weather fan can see they are building something good in Chicago. Shocked with that move to say the least.

Hated to see Knuble go to the Caps and then Ian Laperriere bought in shortly afterwards. Knuble claims the Flyers lowballed him. Maybe his age and disappearing act in the playoffs had something to do with that ?
Guess Homer sees Ian as a Max Talbot type who can throw em a lot better ? Boucher is a great backup goalie but has proven on more then one occasion he can't handle a heavy workload anymore and still be consistent. I sure hope Emery plays like a guy who needs a contract next year. Something tells me he will as money drives todays athelete like nothing else can.
This was visible from a mile away. In fact... I called it right after the Pronger deal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
Say what? The Flyers are about 2 million under the cap. They can't afford Knuble (another downside of the Pronger deal).
As for the Hossa deal, SCF stigma aside, is there much doubt he was the best forward available? Marian Gaborik is the only guy who can be mentioned in the same breath talent wise, and he's never healthy.

And as for the image that he's not a winner, it's ridiculous. In 2007-2008 in the playoffs with the Penguins, he lead the team in goals with 12. He had 26 points in 20 games, 1 fewer than Crosby and 4 more than Malkin. He scored goals in games 4, 5, and 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Pens just happened to lose two of those games (since he accounted for 2 of their 3 goals in both losses). He had 7 points in the final four games. Malkin had three points all series. Crosby only had six all series.

This year Sidney Crosby had 3 points in the Stanley Cup Finals. Hossa...? Yeah, he had 3 too. Hossa did NOT play well in this year's Cup, that's true. However, he's been snake bitten by bad luck and this stigma that he's a loser. He's outperformed Crosby on the biggest stage, and both him and Malkin have laid eggs in the SCFs in the past two years.

Stanley Cup Finals past 2 years:
Malkin: 11 points
Hossa: 10 points
Crosby: 9 points
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Really ? You seem to be doing a hell of a job of being just that around here. Try toning it down a little with the rabbit-esq dissecting of other people's opinions. Its not just in this thread either. Its one thing to disagree and have your own opinion, its another to try and make an *ss out of someone.
Edit: Not worth my time. I've proved my points more than clearly, and with evidence to boot. I'm good. If you've got a problem, prove me wrong.

Last edited by Bobcat88; 07-04-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Hossa was invisible for the SCFs especially game 7. Spin it any way you want, he was invisible on the ice. A guy in his position should have played like a man possessed at home in game 7.

The numbers don't always show true. Hossa is the guy who gets the 5th & 6th goals in a 6-2 win. No denying he has talent but he shrinks in pressure situations for a veteran player with his skills. He isn't worth big time money on a young upcoming team. He'll put up his numbers but the Hawks could have been smarter with their money.

Guess Homer did know what his cap number was as opposed to the sources who had them under 2 million huh.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
Edit: Not worth my time. I've proved my points more than clearly, and with evidence to boot. I'm good. If you've got a problem, prove me wrong.
I don't have to prove you wrong. You prove me right with every post. The guy (KMD) was throwing out some predictions and having fun with the thread and you come along with your big mouth. I didn't notice anyone else ripping him for having an opinion or running to NHL.com for stats. Get a life already, the guy didn't ask you to dissect his thread or force your opinion on him.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,389
Default

I don't know what the deal with Hossa is. I think he has yet to play his best hockey yet (which is why the 60+ goals which I know is a stretch). This is a guy who tore the Euro-leagues up in away that hadn't been seen before. Maybe I overrate the Euro-leagues because a lot of guys like Jiri Dopita come over and fail (saw that coming) and a lot of bums from here go over there and score a lot of goals (Pavel Brendl anyone).

Hopefully Boucher wins the spot out of Flyer camp outright. I think a 50/30 split in goaltending duties will do both Emery and Boosh some good. The thing is I don't know if Boucher is a playoff goalie and I know that Emery is not, so the Flyers for the umpteenth year in a row go into the fall with a goaltending question. If Montreal thinks CP is a go, they should try to deal for Halak, he'd be an upgrade.

I like the Laperriere signing, and the first time they see the Rangers it could be interesting. Sean Avery had some nasty things to say about French-Canadians a couple of years ago and Ian called him out on it and Avery and he have never hit on the ice.

You all might think I'm nuts on the David Booth prediction, I'm sticking with it though. This year he becomes an elite goal scorer... and if I'm wrong my Pat Falloon rookie cards will have some company... quite a bit actually, and I'm still buying.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Hossa was invisible for the SCFs especially game 7. Spin it any way you want, he was invisible on the ice. A guy in his position should have played like a man possessed at home in game 7.

The numbers don't always show true. Hossa is the guy who gets the 5th & 6th goals in a 6-2 win. No denying he has talent but he shrinks in pressure situations for a veteran player with his skills. He isn't worth big time money on a young upcoming team. He'll put up his numbers but the Hawks could have been smarter with their money.
Game 4 of Stanley Cup Finals: Hossa scores goal 1. Team loses 2-1.
Game 5 of Stanley Cup Finals: Hossa scores goal 1: Team wins 4-3.
Game 6 of Stanley Cup Finals: Hossa scores goal 2: Team loses 3-2.

He's really scoring some meaningless goals there! As I said, Hossa was bad in the SCF this season. No worse than Malkin was in 2007-2008, when Hossa was very good. However, for some reason, Hossa gets blamed for that Cup loss despite being better than both Crosby and Malkin that series. Crosby was not good in the Cup Finals this year, but takes no heat either. Hossa is just an easy target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Guess Homer did know what his cap number was as opposed to the sources who had them under 2 million huh.
By not being able to afford Knuble? That makes sense. They "lowballed" him because all their money is on Pronger, Briere, et al.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I don't have to prove you wrong. You prove me right with every post.
Thanks for a good laugh. I've been looking for good comedy recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I didn't notice anyone else ripping him for having an opinion

Here's some mockery of the predictions care of ebacardi2:
What are you smoking?
Hossa 64? come on maybe 44
Ovechkin.. sure you never know 55-65
Booth? David Booth? LOL 35-40 Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
running to NHL.com for stats.
Oh my goodness! Using the truth in an argument!!!!! Blasphemy. I brought the truth into an argument! How terrible of me to be right. Those damn facts, always getting in the way of everything! Cry me a river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Get a life already, the guy didn't ask you to dissect his thread or force your opinion on him.
KaraandMelliesDaddy: why don't you explain why my predictions are ridiculous?

How's crow taste?
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
mattfox13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 109
Default

wow who needs the comedy channel, this is a tad on the crazy side :/
mattfox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
Game 4 of Stanley Cup Finals: Hossa scores goal 1. Team loses 2-1.
Game 5 of Stanley Cup Finals: Hossa scores goal 1: Team wins 4-3.
Game 6 of Stanley Cup Finals: Hossa scores goal 2: Team loses 3-2.

He's really scoring some meaningless goals there!


By not being able to afford Knuble? That makes sense. They "lowballed" him because all their money is on Pronger, Briere, et al.
Thanks for proving my point. All one goal games where his team needed a clutch goal. No game winners in that bunch, so yeah they are meaningless goals when the team your playing for loses all 3 games and then you do nothing in game 7. Way to go stat man.

No the point was your less then 2 million under the cap number that you argued about was wrong but you keep quoting and throwing your stats out there Mr. Know-it-all.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
Thanks for a good laugh. I've been looking for good comedy recently.



You probably should look for a friend instead. Enjoy the rest of your day inside your hole looking for someone else to dissect. I have to go out. Shame rabbit got booted, you two could have have fun together.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
KaraandMelliesDaddy: why don't you explain why my predictions are ridiculous?

How's crow taste?
Tastes like chicken. Are you sitting in your Mom's basement in your underwear blogging on the Daily Kos with a tin-foil hat on your head. Is it fun? This must be the highlight of your miserable, pathetic, existence.

This thread was for fun. From time to time we go out and say outlandish things.

Occasionally we piss one another off. Usually not intentionally.

And once in a while we get to read the writings of a world class fool who likes to pretend that he/she is superior in hockey analysis... and maybe you are. Has it made you a bloody penny? I was a sports-writer for eight years and got paid for it. I was one of the better hockey analysts in the South (yeah, Mississippi, you get people reading your hockey articles in Mississippi you know you are pretty damn good, so I don't need your approval), and it was before the internet era, so if I wrote something ridiculous (and I did a couple of times) my phone would ring and someone would be ticked and I didn't have a computer to hide behind.


Now I'm still going to use this message board the way I always have. To b.s. with buddies and occasionally go out on a limb, and I'm not going to seek your approval because you have proven yourself to be a dolt.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Thanks for proving my point. All one goal games where his team needed a clutch goal. No game winners in that bunch, so yeah they are meaningless goals when the team your playing for loses all 3 games and then you do nothing in game 7. Way to go stat man.

No the point was your less then 2 million under the cap number that you argued about was wrong but you keep quoting and throwing your stats out there Mr. Know-it-all.
Hahahahah. You're blaming Hossa for a loss in which he was the ONLY PLAYER on his team to score a goal? Do you know ANYTHING about hockey? Heck, you haven't shown you know much about sports at all. I guess Hossa should have scored 3 goals in each of those games to make sure his team won. No big deal, right? A "clutch" player like Sidney Crosby (worse numbers in the Cup Finals than Hossa) would have done it, right? It's never a big deal to score the first goal in a Cup Finals game or anything... WOW!

You might be one of the least intelligent/informed people with whom I've ever held a discussion. This is just sad. I feel bad for you.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.