Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crosby Mega-Deal

After days of speculation Crosby and the Penguins have negotiated a contract extension worth 104.4 million over 12 years. This has many implication for Crosby, Malkin, The Penguins, and Potential Free agents. Any thoughts on this?

My ideas here

Pens in Seven

Enjoy
hockeyfan5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

I anticipate a quick signing of either Zach Parise or Ryan Suter for the Pens once FA signing officially opens. Parise and Sid are supposedly great friends, so we could be seeing another big, long term deal soon.

Look out NHL if that happens.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

My thoughts: that's a pretty big investment on someone who, arguably, has problems with concussions. You see what concussions are doing to some of the biggest names in hockey and what they've done in the past. That's a long time and a lot of money for a man that missed most of last season with a head injury.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

With that said, I'm happy for him I guess? Not my favorite guy in the world, but he's great for the sport. He's put the NHL back on the map after years of anonymity in the 90's and early 00's. Arguably the best in the NHL, and fun to watch.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Can't say I love the deal because of his concussion concerns. Would rather see Malkin get that deal.
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah... in the article I wrote mentioned above I thought of all of that... it certainly casts a lot of doubt on Malkin's future... we may be seeing a trade of him if they do not sign Parise or Semin, or he may be dealt before his contract expires
Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

ckilgore----He doesn't arguably have concussion problems, he DOES have concussion problems. He will never play 82 games in a year again. He might average 40 games a year through that contract. Stupid deal for Pitt. Not to mention what a girl he is.
MJDisMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

LOVE having season tix to the Pens!

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDisMAN View Post
ckilgore----He doesn't arguably have concussion problems, he DOES have concussion problems. He will never play 82 games in a year again. He might average 40 games a year through that contract. Stupid deal for Pitt. Not to mention what a girl he is.
I wouldn't say that the issues are that severe.... Shero and Lemieux wouldn't go through with this unless they had reassurance that he was over the issues. However, he is one big hit away from a potential career ending injury... they had better insure only a small portion of that contract
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Tremendous deal for Sid but he has to stay on the ice to make it the same for the organization. I just remember cringing every time Lindros took a solid hit because you never know with concussions. This could come back to bite them especially with the type of game Crosby plays.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

What year did the Pens forfeit their first round draft pick for this deal?

Cause...ya know....there's a better likelihood of Kovy playing out his deal than Crosby finishing this one.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
What year did the Pens forfeit their first round draft pick for this deal?

Cause...ya know....there's a better likelihood of Kovy playing out his deal than Crosby finishing this one.
Ok comparing this to the Kovalchuk deal is just ridiculous. This is not a seventeen year deal which keeps Crosby playing til he is 44. Furthermore, this deal does not call for $550,000 a year the last five years. Kovalchuk's deal was a scam... this is not.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan5c5 View Post
Ok comparing this to the Kovalchuk deal is just ridiculous. This is not a seventeen year deal which keeps Crosby playing til he is 44. Furthermore, this deal does not call for $550,000 a year the last five years. Kovalchuk's deal was a scam... this is not.
You're right, it's only a ten year deal with a person with an active concussion history. We don't know the details yet since he can't even sign it until Sunday so we'll save that conjecture part until later.

But like I said, I'd say there are better odds of Kovy finishing out his contract (3%) to Sid finishing out his (2%). Neither will happen so both are phantom contracts.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

You're right. Neither will finish out there deals. But I agree, I'd take Kovy. Atleast he will suit up for 80 games a year, and drop the gloves like a man once in awhile. Crosby is one of the biggest pansies in the NHL. He has no respect from other teams. Thats very apparent.
MJDisMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Marc Savard. That is all
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

You guys act like you're ponying up the 100+ million and it's your investment with the concussion history. How about letting Mario worry about writing the checks and us hockey fans worrying about seeing Crosby play full time? Crosby has the same chance of getting his career ended with a bad hit as any other player in the league (Malkin, Giroux, Sedin, etc)...and if that happens to him, he would retire and his contract would come off the books. There's also long term IR.

So by the sounds of it, if it was your team he played for, you would just let him walk after next year as an unrestricted free agent?
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
You guys act like you're ponying up the 100+ million and it's your investment with the concussion history. How about letting Mario worry about writing the checks and us hockey fans worrying about seeing Crosby play full time? Crosby has the same chance of getting his career ended with a bad hit as any other player in the league (Malkin, Giroux, Sedin, etc)...and if that happens to him, he would retire and his contract would come off the books. There's also long term IR.

So by the sounds of it, if it was your team he played for, you would just let him walk after next year as an unrestricted free agent?
The thing your telling us to stop doing is what makes sports great, peoples unique thoughts and opinions. As far as the whole "has the same chance of having a career ending injury" argument that is simply false. The odds of getting rocked and getting a high grade concussion skyrocket when youve had one, never mind 3 or 4. As far as if I were the GM I wouldnt let him walk, Id trade him for a kings ransom
Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
The thing your telling us to stop doing is what makes sports great, peoples unique thoughts and opinions. As far as the whole "has the same chance of having a career ending injury" argument that is simply false. The odds of getting rocked and getting a high grade concussion skyrocket when youve had one, never mind 3 or 4. As far as if I were the GM I wouldnt let him walk, Id trade him for a kings ransom
Wow....your job as GM would not last that long then.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

I wish the best for Crosby. When playing at 100% his skills are unmatched and he is so exciting to watch. God forbid he gets hit high and hard and is forced to leave the sport, he will now forever be a Penguin and mentioned alongside Lemieux as the face of the franchise. $10m/year for a player of Crosby's caliber is cheap IMO. Even if they only get a couple solid years from him, they still will have made a good investment to keep him within the franchise.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan5c5 View Post
After days of speculation Crosby and the Penguins have negotiated a contract extension worth 104.4 million over 12 years. This has many implication for Crosby, Malkin, The Penguins, and Potential Free agents. Any thoughts on this?

My ideas here

Pens in Seven

Enjoy
This is the worst signing EVER,he's one hit away from his career ending.Remember the Lindros brothers.He'll never get to the end of this contract.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote