Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I forget exactly where I read it, but the consensus is the league is not going to strike it down. Something to do with the ending age of the contract being below 41 (and Kovy was above). I could be getting it slightly off...I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge than I can confirm/explain.
No problem WV, the contract will not be struck down as it has nothing to do with the NJ Devils. Philly is on Bettman's good list while NJ is on Bettman's "bend 'em over" list. Insiders report that if NJ had offered Weber the same offer sheet, they would have had to forfeit 7 first round picks and had to play with one defenseman for the second period of all regular season games. Simple as that.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I forget exactly where I read it, but the consensus is the league is not going to strike it down. Something to do with the ending age of the contract being below 41 (and Kovy was above). I could be getting it slightly off...I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge than I can confirm/explain.

If they match, they can't trade him for a year. Plus if there is any sort of work-stoppage, they have to pay him the full amount of his salary + bonus (which I believe is about $26 million the 1st year).

Contrary to what you said, this potential signing will take a TON of pressure off of Ilya, although he's still the x factor there. I am willing to give him another chance, especially since he seems to figure things out a little in the 2nd half/2nd playoff series.

PS- Congrats on the non super-duper homeriffic post!
So if the Flyers lose a few and aren't in first place, who would you think the blame will go on:

1) Holmgren
2) Giroux
3) Weber
4) Bryzgalov
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
No problem WV, the contract will not be struck down as it has nothing to do with the NJ Devils. Philly is on Bettman's good list while NJ is on Bettman's "bend 'em over" list. Insiders report that if NJ had offered Weber the same offer sheet, they would have had to forfeit 7 first round picks and had to play with one defenseman for the second period of all regular season games. Simple as that.
Pfft! There you go exaggerating again. It would had only been 6 first rounders and only two d-men could play for the first 10 minutes of the third period during the second quarter of the regular season. Get your facts right next time.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Darn...you were one of the people who I kinda hoped would give me a serious answer . Haha tho, it's true...the Flyers have become the NHL's darlings. Paul Holmgren just went tandem kayaking with Gary Bettman yesterday, according to TSN.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Darn...you were one of the people who I kinda hoped would give me a serious answer . Haha tho, it's true...the Flyers have become the NHL's darlings. Paul Holmgren just went tandem kayaking with Gary Bettman yesterday, according to TSN.
Oh $%^, my bad, I thought you wanted the real reason not the Bettman "blah, blah, blah...can't believe these morons buy this...blah, blah, blah" reason. His reasoning was centered around Kovy being 44 at the end of the contract and the salary being only 550k for the last 5 years.

Because Pronger playing until 42 with crap for knees and making 525k the last two years of his contract was perfectly fine.....
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

well if the Flyers start going on a nose dive to the bottom of the conference. The obvious choice to blame it on is solt
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

Also in this deal - Philly might be trading to get the picks back (e.g trading for his rights) and might include Voreck and Read.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #33 (permalink)

Nashville will match the offer sheet.....#@#@#@#@!
jt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Nashville Predators Team News - Nashville Predators - News
jt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

sportsstuff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

The Gm Said it was the most important move in franchise history
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

Sucks for my Flyers but the Preds had to do it or they'd have a lot of season ticket holders ready to jump ship. Tough to lose your top two UFAs in one offseason, get nothing but some draft picks back and keep your fan base happy.

I think this could have been a formality had Homer agreed to trade them Couts or Schenn along with an NHL ready Dman for some of those draft picks. Weber obviously wanted out of Nashville so this may get interesting when the Preds can officially move him again.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote