Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flyers sign RFA Shea Weber to offer sheet

Predators' Weber signs 14-year offer sheet with Flyers

14 years/upwards of $100 Mil. Flyers would have to give up their 1st rounder for the next 4 years.

At first glance, I LOVE it! At second glance, I still love it!

Your move Nashville. (I am under the assumption they will match, but it's sure as hell worth a shot)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Seriously? $100M just to smash Crosby's head into the glass?
Shea Weber head smash on Zetterberg Detroit Red Wings vs Nashville Predators 4/11/12 NHL Hockey - YouTube

I can see Holmgren watching the video of this now going, "now that's my type of guy....."
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

According to Dreger, the deal may be structured in a way that would prevent a small-market club like Nashville from matching the offer, by way of $26 million in signing bonuses between now and July 1, 2013. That may be tough for Nashville to match, since they would be forking over nearly 16 percent of their entire franchise’s net worth ($163 million in 2011 according to Forbes magazine) in one calendar year.

That was from Philly.com.

So Nashville's options are
1. Match offer sheet and basically break the franchise financially.

2. Let him walk and take the 4 picks.

I think the Flyers chances on this. Snider is all in as usual. He wants a Cup bad.
jt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

i don't see how Nashville can match. time to take 4 picks and move on.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nashville is going to match this offer, they already lost Suter for nothing to Minnesota in Free Agency and are not going to let this happen again. Bold move by the Flyers shows the fans that they are serious about trying to win.
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!
mickdapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Who didn't see this coming when Parise and Suter (thankfully) passed and Homer had the cap space to play with ? People, especially in Philly, do not give Homer enough credit and act like he's some dope. Weber was always the guy they wanted but as I posted in the FA thread, I thought they'd go after him at the deadline had the Preds not given him a new deal. Four first rounders is tough but you can always get picks down the road.

Hopefully the Preds don't match and all the clueless writers like Pinnachcio and Boruk in the Philly media can stop crying about how Homer didn't do anything and how they let Bobby Orr...I mean Matt Carle walk.

Seriously, all you needed to know about Matt Carle's worth can be summed up in two words, Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pens were in serious need of defensive help after last year and had the cap space to pay Carle but didn't. The fact that they passed on taking a guy that they've seen plenty of over the years from their bitter rivals tells you all you need to know. Shero is no dummy and neither is Homer. They weren't going to over pay like Tampa did for someone like Carle.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Read some more on this and I HOPE the Flyers put a no trade clause in the deal because they might have just pissed Poile off enough to match and then trade Weber elsewhere. Supposedly Poile was shopping him around to Philly, the Rangers, Sharks and Wings and Homer had no intentions of giving up what he wanted (probably Couts and/or Schenn) so he jumped the gun and threw Weber the offer sheet which he signed. Gotta love Homer's aggression but if Poile matches the offer sheet and it doesn't include a no trade clause then the Flyers probably have no shot of getting Weber in a trade without caving in to Poile's player demands.

I honestly think it sucks to see an upstart team like the Preds potentially losing their top two FAs in one off-season but if Weber is going anywhere, I want it to be Philly.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Why do you think the Bolts over paid for Carle ? Or do you say that since the Flyers didn't resign him. I see the move as a great one for the Bolts they lost him once because of bad ownership. Now for Weber thats a big move on the Flyers part not sure if the contract offer is the same if the Preds match . IF the Preds don't match this it will set them back big time. Ya 4 picks are nice but when those picks are in the bottom 10 each yr doesn't help much. Only move they can do is to match and possibly trade Weber for young players .
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieren View Post
Why do you think the Bolts over paid for Carle ? Or do you say that since the Flyers didn't resign him. I see the move as a great one for the Bolts they lost him once because of bad ownership. Now for Weber thats a big move on the Flyers part not sure if the contract offer is the same if the Preds match . IF the Preds don't match this it will set them back big time. Ya 4 picks are nice but when those picks are in the bottom 10 each yr doesn't help much. Only move they can do is to match and possibly trade Weber for young players .
Think I saw on Capgeek that if they match, they have to play him for one year before trading him AND would have to fork over the 26M signing bonus. Lot of dough for one year.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Read some more on this and I HOPE the Flyers put a no trade clause in the deal because they might have just pissed Poile off enough to match and then trade Weber elsewhere. Supposedly Poile was shopping him around to Philly, the Rangers, Sharks and Wings and Homer had no intentions of giving up what he wanted (probably Couts and/or Schenn) so he jumped the gun and threw Weber the offer sheet which he signed. Gotta love Homer's aggression but if Poile matches the offer sheet and it doesn't include a no trade clause then the Flyers probably have no shot of getting Weber in a trade without caving in to Poile's player demands.

I honestly think it sucks to see an upstart team like the Preds potentially losing their top two FAs in one off-season but if Weber is going anywhere, I want it to be Philly.
It in the deal that nashville can't trade Weber for the first year. So Nashville will have to pay him 26 mil before they trade him.
jt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieren View Post
I was happy as hell the Flyers didn't pay Carle so no sour grapes here. I wanted him gone two years ago. Couldn't stand watching him play hockey because it was the same mistakes and soft play over and over with him. He has one plus skill and that's his skating ability. His shot is average which is why he doesn't score much, he isn't physical and his play drops considerably in his own end against the better, more physical teams. Only reason he was so hyped was because it wasn't a great year for FA defensemen. A 5.5 million cap hit for an "offensive defensemen" who doesn't score much to me is a move most GMs don't make unless what you currently have is even worse ala Tampa Bay. Like I said above, if Carle was so great, why didn't a team desperate for defensive help like the Pens go after him hard ? Would make sense on every level UNLESS you know he isn't worth that type of cap hit.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Edit.......

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I was happy as hell the Flyers didn't pay Carle so no sour grapes here. I wanted him gone two years ago. Couldn't stand watching him play hockey because it was the same mistakes and soft play over and over with him. He has one plus skill and that's his skating ability. His shot is average which is why he doesn't score much, he isn't physical and his play drops considerably in his own end against the better, more physical teams. Only reason he was so hyped was because it wasn't a great year for FA defensemen. A 5.5 million cap hit for an "offensive defensemen" who doesn't score much to me is a move most GMs don't make unless what you currently have is even worse ala Tampa Bay. Like I said above, if Carle was so great, why didn't a team desperate for defensive help like the Pens go after him hard ? Would make sense on every level UNLESS you know he isn't worth that type of cap hit.
As a Wings fan, I agree that is too much money for a offensive defenseman. The Wings were not interested, esp at that price. They tried for Suter but struck out, don't know if they wanted Weber after what happened in the playoffs (Weber v Zetterberg - still mad he wasn't suspended for a single game).

On this topic, the Widemen/Flames deal really screwed everything up. 5 yr 5.25 mil a year for him??? That was music to a guy like Carle's ears. He knew he was gonna get that money or more.

Teams like the Flyers and Wings have to be smart about their new acquisitions and Carle doesn't fit the bill on the blueline.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Like always, BAMBAM is spot on. Carle was frequently a liability on defense, turned the puck over WAY too much in his own zone and couldn't get his damn weak wrist shot through to the net. I didn't want him back and the bolts greatly overpaid. He's not a bad player, I'm just not really in love with offensive defensemen, who aren't even really that good at offense :x.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

I don't like offensive defensemen (guys strickly labelled)

You need your PP def's with a good point shot, your puck mover blah blah blah, but #1 they better know the position and where to be, who to pick up etc.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 07-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Like always, BAMBAM is spot on.
You sir are brilliant ! check is in the mail

Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok i see what your saying but for the Bolts system he fits in very well. We did have bad D last yr but i think Yzerman really fixed that with trades last yr and the signings this yr. We were without Ohlund and Hedman was hurt last yr. Plus goalie was an issue Rolo was horrible and that wasn't all on the D . I think with the new D we have and how the rc's played last yr the Bolts will look like a contender again. Now If the Flyers do get Weber I'd give them the upper hand but again it also depends on if he fits into the Flyers system.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Doesnt matter who they get, with Sid back at full strength the Pens are gonna wreck the Flygirls! Way to over spend!
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Flyers still have the Russian philosopher (Bryz) in net. Weber is a great d-man and would help limit chances, but I am not sold on Bryz, he has been too inconsistent. If they do get Weber and Luke Schenn plays up to what people believed he would be my Devils might be in trouble.
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
Doesnt matter who they get, with Sid back at full strength the Pens are gonna wreck the Flygirls! Way to over spend!
Go back and watch the first minute of Game 7, then tell me who the best player on the ice was
ReinholdMessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
what a shocker, a penguins fan that brings nothing to the table when it comes to talking about hockey
Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

has the leauge aproved the offer sheet..... cause kovalchuk situtaion comes to mind cause 14 years is a sh!t long amount of time

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
i don't see how Nashville can match. time to take 4 picks and move on.
4 late first round picks for Weber is rubbish. Nashville needs to match it and trade him. If the Flyers get Weber they will be the #1 favorite for the Stanley Cup and 100% of the pressure will then fall to Ilya Bryzgalov.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
has the leauge aproved the offer sheet..... cause kovalchuk situtaion comes to mind cause 14 years is a sh!t long amount of time
I forget exactly where I read it, but the consensus is the league is not going to strike it down. Something to do with the ending age of the contract being below 41 (and Kovy was above). I could be getting it slightly off...I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge than I can confirm/explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
4 late first round picks for Weber is rubbish. Nashville needs to match it and trade him. If the Flyers get Weber they will be the #1 favorite for the Stanley Cup and 100% of the pressure will then fall to Ilya Bryzgalov.
If they match, they can't trade him for a year. Plus if there is any sort of work-stoppage, they have to pay him the full amount of his salary + bonus (which I believe is about $26 million the 1st year).

Contrary to what you said, this potential signing will take a TON of pressure off of Ilya, although he's still the x factor there. I am willing to give him another chance, especially since he seems to figure things out a little in the 2nd half/2nd playoff series.

PS- Congrats on the non super-duper homeriffic post!