Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone play "Beer League" Hockey?

One of the guys on my "beer league" team here in upstate NY put me on to this - The Ramsay Downholers Pilot - YouTube - unbelievable!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

This show is stupid and absolutely pointless. And I love it.

Great great show man! Having played beer league hockey for the past 9 years (and hockey my entire life) this is an exaggerated version, but it's concept is spot on! We've all had crappy refs, rough games, and hell I remember having a fairly cute scorekeeper!

Very well done sir.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Two of the plot lines (sex toy party and cat urination on equipment) have actually happened with my team in the past couple of years! Never smelled anything like the cat pee... But man, the potential for this show, especially in Canada, seems fantastic! I am kicking myself for not having thought of it myself! All kinds of stuff could be done: tournament road trip, chick joins the league and is better than almost everyone else, hypercompetitive guy who stacks his team with ringers, one guy "dates" another guy's sister, could go on and on...hahaha - you realize that it's stuff like this that keeps you young!

Last edited by hairysasquatch; 07-29-2012 at 12:28 PM.
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Two of the plot lines (sex toy party and cat urination on equipment) have actually happened with my team in the past couple of years! Never smelled anything like the cat pee... But man, the potential for this show, especially in Canada, seems fantastic! I am kicking myself for not having thought of it myself! All kinds of stuff could be done: tournament road trip, chick joins the league and is better than almost everyone else, hypercompetitive guy who stacks his team with ringers, one guy "dates" another guy's sister, could go on and on...hahaha - you realize that it's stuff like this that keeps you young!
It really does amaze me that there have never been any hockey comedies in Canada. With all of the tv movies CBC has put out (The Don Cherry Story, 1972 Summit Series, The Rocket) you'd think they'd put out a comedy.

If I remember correctly the only hockey show CBC has made in the past couple of years was a show called "MVP", which was shut down after 10 episodes due to high budget (I believe the first 10 episodes cost $20 MILLION to make). This show seems like production and filling costs would not be too high.

I really like it. I hope it gets on a major network.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think they could improve the quality of the on-ice play depictions a bit - it looks really staged and slow, even for a "beer league" - figuring that out would be the key, IMHO - they have the characters, dialogue/accents, and basic storylines absolutely nailed.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

pretty funny...i'd like to see some other episodes (if they exist...). It's no TPB but it's pretty funny...maybe its unfair to hold it to that standard...
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote