Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 07-08 UD Trilogy, SPX, or game used?

Trying to decide which of these products to try. I am thinking 1 case for now. I am leaning toward SPX but also like the game used. Lots of cool stuff in there. I really like the number card idea. Trilogy is a distant 3rd for me. Don't know why but it just doesn't jump out at me. SPX also give you more cards so may be able to build some sets. What do you guys think? What will hold its value the best? How did they do last year? Or maybe there is a better product out there? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
kingofnfl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello,
I have never been a big fan of Trilogy.I like the rookie in SPX and I also like the Patches in Game-Used.Maybe grab a 6 box case of SP Game-used and a half case of SPX.Let me know which way you go and how you do.Think both are good to break.Did well with SP Game-Used last year.Take care.
hockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. That might not be a bad way to go. The more I look at it. I really like both the spx and the game used.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

The SPX will kill you...trust me on this one. Boxes came out last year at $100, now you can get them for $55-$60
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like the look of the Game Used product, but if you're looking to resell, I think it will be hard to get your money back. I seem to remember only 2 guaranteed autos out of the 6 pack box.....unless I am thinking of another year. Other than that you'll get the 4 memorabilia cards. If you're looking to just add to your collection, then I think it'll be okay because the cards look nice....but for resale, I don't think its the best.
csun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

yikes! Maybe I don't like SPX after all. Do most products generally stay in or out of favor year in and year out?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think you are right. They say 1 mem card or auto per pack. Don't recall if it is 2 and 4. For resale is it better to rip something you can make sets with like opc, artifact,UD series 1 or black diamond? I really liked artifacts. There was alittle of everything in that product.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnfl22 View Post
yikes! Maybe I don't like SPX after all. Do most products generally stay in or out of favor year in and year out?
No not when you are dealling with UD- last year SP Game Used was good and SPx just blew. Year prior just the reverse, who knows how it will be from year to year. Bottom line is UD produces way too many hockey products. They oughta stick too a "couple" low end, their base issue and a high end product or two. Never happen of course, but we can always be wishful, it is the season for that........
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you are right. They say 1 mem card or auto per pack. Don't recall if it is 2 and 4. For resale is it better to rip something you can make sets with like opc, artifact,UD series 1 or black diamond? I really liked artifacts. There was alittle of everything in that product.

You know, I don't make/sell too many sets, but it seems to me that usually the sets sell better right when the product comes out, after that I have no idea how well they hold their value.

I, personally, like busting boxes that guarantee an auto or auto/memorabilia in the box. Unfortunately, and understandably, some of the lower end products tend to either not guarantee any of that or 1 per box or every other box or something like that. I'm not a big fan of black diamond, but it seems to sell decently.

I agree with the previous post, UD does make way too many products and its very hard to tell from one year to the next how well a product will do based on its history. When 05-06 SP Authentic came out, I thought it was going to do really well but they ended up producing so much of it that it went down the toilet for a while
Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

well, I have not decided between spx or game used but I did order a tin of 06-07 the cup. Was watching the cup thread so I had to give one a try. Sould get it a couple days. I will post the results.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
well, I have not decided between spx or game used but I did order a tin of 06-07 the cup. Was watching the cup thread so I had to give one a try. Sould get it a couple days. I will post the results.

Good luck!! I'll be watching for your results
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Good Choice on the cup, you shouldn't be disappointed. For what its worth, I like trilogy for the plexiglass cards (autos and frozen in time). The autos and jerseys are really hit or miss. If you are going to buy it, get it now before i goes up to 175-200 a box.

A guy at the local shop I go to pulled a Kane RC /999 and a Bobby Orr Ice Scripts from the same box!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Have you considered waiting for SP Authentic or Upper Deck Series 2?
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wow!! kane and orr in same box. Nice!! I have been looking at series 2. Just not sure. Going to make a decision soon though. Wish I could buy couple cases of them all. Problem is, game used was the first product i really liked when I read the reviews and its hard to get them out of my mind. I am trying to wait as long as possible so I make the best choice. My last thoughts were a 6 box case of game used and a case of series 2.

thanks for the luck csun22! I can use all I can get. I have been wanting to do a tin of the cup for awhile, just hard for me to pull the trigger paying that much for 1 pack of cards. But, as long as the wife doesnt find out everything is cool!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow!! kane and orr in same box. Nice!! I have been looking at series 2. Just not sure. Going to make a decision soon though. Wish I could buy couple cases of them all. Problem is, game used was the first product i really liked when I read the reviews and its hard to get them out of my mind. I am trying to wait as long as possible so I make the best choice. My last thoughts were a 6 box case of game used and a case of series 2.

thanks for the luck csun22! I can use all I can get. I have been wanting to do a tin of the cup for awhile, just hard for me to pull the trigger paying that much for 1 pack of cards. But, as long as the wife doesnt find out everything is cool!

LOL, my wife stopped asking me about stuff like that
Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well I came home today pretty excited to open my first Tin of 06-07 cup. To my suprise there was a F sticker on the door!!! Since when do I need to sign. Is this something new? So needless to say I guess I have to hope the UPS guy comes at a good time or I may not see it for a week.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

I always ask Blowout to waive the signature requirement. Their default is yes, I believe, but that could only be if the value exceeds a certainly dollar amount.

But you've just touched on my #1 beef with UPS

You can have the package redelivered to your work, or you can ask to pick it up at their fulfillment center. For some people it's nearby. But it's not like the post office, which is usually within a mile of where you live (if you live in a city).
Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

I do believe that if the amount exceeds a specific amount they send it UPS with Signature needed.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

yeh i dont know what happen. I have had a $2000 case just thrown into my garage without even a knock on the door. This time 1 box of the cup and they want sig. O well, no big deal. Just frustrating when you think its going to be there when you get home and you get a slip of paper stuck on your door instead.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

OK who is ready for a tin of the cup!!!!

yeh me too!!! Another piece of paper stuck to my door!!
missed UPS guy again!!