Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The cup 2011-12 holy grail- back doored?

For me, the best card in the entire run was the nugent-hopkins 93/99 RAP. Well, you all heard it went for 9k BIN within 2 minutes of listing. It's funny, the only two other cards the seller was selling were, guess what, the Crosby stick nameplate 1/1 and the Lemieux/Francis dual nhl logo auto 1/1. These monster hits would have taken CASES of unopened product to hit, though the seller didn't have any other singles for sale from the cup. If you look at all his sales on ebay, he just sells Upper deck cards - no topps, no panini, nothing but upper deck.

Is it possible that these major hits were never even available to the public? Is the seller somehow connected to UD? hmm........

Last edited by hermanotarjeta; 09-21-2012 at 11:52 PM.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very possible its upper deck themselves. Why sell a tin full of cards for 500-600 when you can sell individual cars for 9k. Sell the tins to the rubes who think all the good hits are in them and laugh all the way to the bank. I dont pUt anything past anyone when it comes to money. The world has never been in a greedier state then it is right now.Me,Me,Me,I,I,I.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree as well, not in a million yrs can someone be that lucky with a product like this
eaglesvikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Very possible its upper deck themselves. Why sell a tin full of cards for 500-600 when you can sell individual cars for 9k. Sell the tins to the rubes who think all the good hits are in them and laugh all the way to the bank. I dont pUt anything past anyone when it comes to money. The world has never been in a greedier state then it is right now.Me,Me,Me,I,I,I.
Agree 10000%

Becketts 2007 Exquisite controversy also... AP 1/1 and Payton/Piccolo dual cut in the SAME BOX. They have never fully recovered from that.
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

amazingly i emailed asking were they were pulled and the auctions are now ended
eaglesvikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesvikings View Post
amazingly i emailed asking were they were pulled and the auctions are now ended
Something is starting to stink here....
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bet you couldn't guess that the Upper Deck HQ is in Carlsbad, CA

And the seller is from San Diego, a mere 35 miles away...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey, you're right, auctions now ended.

UD used to be in Carlsbad, seller is in San Diego, just south of Carlsbad. It is possible the seller may have been an ex-employee or an associate of someone who works at UD. Ud moved to north carolina, but they still have strong ties in southern california.

This wouldn't be the first time if something fishy is going on here. I remember seeing a lot of cards that weren't supposed to be released yet back in the day at shows a week before the product was out, including a lebron james 23/100 sp game used jersey card.

What kind of security does UD got at the packing plant? I mean, leaking out some of the best hits?

That's complete BS if you ask me....

I mean if you are going to do it, don't leave a paper trail....
Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Most of his completed auctions and feedback items look like things upper deck would hold back to give away as replacements, stuff that would be lying around, "extras" for promos, etc. etc.

Something stinks really badly here...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Most of his completed auctions and feedback items look like things upper deck would hold back to give away as replacements, stuff that would be lying around, "extras" for promos, etc. etc.

Something stinks really badly here...
It's very interesting that every single card he sells/sold is Upper Deck.

I am almost positive there is something going on here.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow, Upper Deck involved in shady business, backdooring cards? I am just utterly shocked. I would have never expected it out of such a reputable company and president.

Edit: Wow, after looking at his past items sold, like someone mentioned, it's almost all rare UD stuff. A lot of rare stuff from older years too. This is clearly a back-door job.

I would be VERY angry if I busted any of The Cup, right now.

Last edited by WilsonValdez; 09-22-2012 at 01:40 AM.
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

hope it's not true but it does sound fishy......
cardozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
For me, the best card in the entire run was the nugent-hopkins 93/99 RAP. Well, you all heard it went for 9k BIN within 2 minutes of listing. It's funny, the only two other cards the seller was selling were, guess what, the Crosby stick nameplate 1/1 and the Lemieux/Francis dual nhl logo auto 1/1. These monster hits would have taken CASES of unopened product to hit, though the seller didn't have any other singles for sale from the cup. If you look at all his sales on ebay, he just sells Upper deck cards - no topps, no panini, nothing but upper deck.

Is it possible that these major hits were never even available to the public? Is the seller somehow connected to UD? hmm........
He probably has a huge wallet. A huge percentage of this stuff doesn't see the light of day on these small forums and ebay, so I wouldn't doubt he purchased them. I haven't bought Panini product either.....
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Man these card companies have stupid people running them.
2013 BOWMAN DRAFT
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

I saw that the card had been listed with a starting price of $.99 originally, and then that auction was ended with another one posted with BIN that ended immediately.

I assumed that somebody saw the original auction and contacted this guy asking what a BIN price would be and they worked it out. Then the new auction was posted on ebay (potentially for buyers security or for seller exposure?) and the offer that was agreed on was accepted right away.

that's just what I thought when I originally saw the listing.

I do agree that it's insane to have those 3 huge Cup hits for sale and nothing else?
Is he an LCS that sells on behalf of customers (if so what are the odds these 3 huge cards were A) pulled in the same store B) requested to be sold by the LCS? Does he know UD? who knows.....

with a hand-packed product, I've always wondered if certain hits would end up in certain locations.

he probably just bought a stacked tin and chucked the 3 base cards..........
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

how long ago was the auction? Buyer has already left feedback for the RNH....

Wow just Wow....if UD really kept this out of boxes there needs to be some legal actions....by far one of the best cards in the products

check this card out sold by the same seller....

Upper Deck Babe Ruth Legendary Lumber Game Used Bat Autograph Card BR-LC #3/3 (#140696620415) sold for close to $15K

Last edited by whityscards; 09-22-2012 at 03:52 PM.
whityscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Certainly makes me wonder because every year I buy a few cases of this product and always do very well. This year I have opened a few cases and haven't hit a single decent card and certainly not a single card that resembles a case hit. Prior to seeing this thread I was thinking something was up with the product this year and this honestly just makes my feelings even stronger, it's a damn shame......
Old 09-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not going to say all big hits are backdoored, but I know some are. It's a shame because the company reps can always say they hold back a small percentage of cards selected "at random" for replacements, promotions, etc. it's the sad reality of cracking wax. Unless the companies have a third party certifier that can support that all cards made it into a product, the companies can always skirt around this issue. The company heads don't personally oversee the pack out process, this raises the potential for too many unscrupulous employees who can sneak product out- they know they are printing and packing out cash. The only thing we can do as collectors is not buy the products, which they know won't happen- we will buy regardless- so why should they care? It's gotta hit their bottom line to make a difference. Unfortunately, it won't.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

That's disgusting and not even a smart way to do it--shows you how much they worry about this being discovered...

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

This guy also sold an UD Babe Ruth Legendary Lumber Game Used Bat Autograph Card for $14,877.00 in May. He's some lucky! LOL.
Giovanni99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

This is pretty shady, I think Upper Deck might be on their last leg
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #22 (permalink)

Between this, the red Bryce Harper Auto being sent as a replacement, and the accusations of the companies using fake jerseys makes me not want to buy any of their cards, not just Upper Deck.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Panini held back the Sam Bradford Mirror Black Shield from 2010 Certified and Topps held back one of the Andy Dalton superfractors from 2011 Finest. I have no problem with them holding on too them for replacements as long as they tell you those cards are not available in packs. At least you know if you have a chance to pull one or not and can base your decision on if you choose to still purchase wax.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Panini held back the Sam Bradford Mirror Black Shield from 2010 Certified and Topps held back one of the Andy Dalton superfractors from 2011 Finest. I have no problem with them holding on too them for replacements as long as they tell you those cards are not available in packs. At least you know if you have a chance to pull one or not and can base your decision on if you choose to still purchase wax.
This would be nice of them to share.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

It would have been nice to share that the National Treasures rookie Tyreke and Blake logoman 1/1 patch autos were not available to the public either.

Last edited by hermanotarjeta; 09-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.