Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default They're starting to cut regular season.

NHL announces cancellation of 2012-13 regular season schedule through October 24 - NHL.com - News

Shame.
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

It will be interesting to see when the real breaking point comes. I've read a couple articles saying the season must start in time so they don't cancel the Winter Classic, or they're will be a big financial backlash. The NBA started a month and a half late a year ago, so we'll see if that happens to hockey.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

IMO, they had such a chance to make hockey shine. Instead they are pushing fans away again. I agree.... Shame.
gergs1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
It will be interesting to see when the real breaking point comes. I've read a couple articles saying the season must start in time so they don't cancel the Winter Classic, or they're will be a big financial backlash. The NBA started a month and a half late a year ago, so we'll see if that happens to hockey.
I've heard some say the Winter Classic will be the first game.
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

last time I thought it was shameful and disappointing. this time I'm pissed. but I've already ranted and will just quietly fume in the corner counting ceiling tiles. I got a bad feeling a whole lot of game will be lost before it's over.
barob72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good riddance.
ZappBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm so bummed...hockey is what gets me through the winter. It's such a shame...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I'm praying some channel starts picking up OHL games. I don't want to miss out on hockey because of those greedy pigs in NYC.

I've said it before, though: I have 67's season tickets this season and I may pick them up for the next couple of years. These lockouts hurt no one but us, the fans (and the occasional grizzly veteran with a few years left). If this year gets locked out, I think we'll know just how much the owners care about us.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Plan a trip to Providence and get a weekend fix of Hockey! The Baby B's look like they will be well 'stocked' Jared Knight,Chris Bourque, Spooner, Tardif, Camper. The AHL All-Star Game is also in Prov., and if the players are still out, you will have Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Couturier, Leblanc that will be a huge weekend!

I hope NESN picks up AHL games, will help ease the pain
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well ESPN has this going

ESPN to Broadcast KHL Games Online During NHL Lockout - NHL - NESN.com

But in all honestly, how many times does the NHL think they can do this and not chase off most of the fans, baseball took years to recover from this, and the NHL is not nearly as popular in the US as MLB.
Army19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

How can Gary Bettman survive this again?
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBreaker72 View Post
How can Gary Bettman survive this again?

lol

Gary will be just fine...
2013 BOWMAN DRAFT
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hmm, usually KMD has weighed in by now with some assurances communicated from his NHL front office contact...this is starting look bad.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Based on reports from the most recent activity (or lack of!) they said the earliest the season would start would be mid to late Dec., and if those dates pass this season would be shot!!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Hmm, usually KMD has weighed in by now with some assurances communicated from his NHL front office contact...this is starting look bad.
Everyone I've spoken to has been wrong in their predictions. I suspect they will get a deal soon and compress the 82 game schedule down.

What people miss is that if the players miss just 8 games they get less than if they took the owner's offer.

But this is the NHLPA and this is Donald Fehr... I am getting worried.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

I can't believe it has come to this again ! I would have bet money at the end of last year that the regular season would have started on time because I didn't think the owners would be this stupid. The NHL was hotter than ever and creating a lot of new interest in the league. Now probably many of the new casual fans and even some of the long time fan base will be lost.

The players pretty much wanted to keep things the same and play while negotiations took place but the idiot owners locked them out. Why ? It makes no sense to me because if you as an owner wanted to reduce revenue sharing and player contracts then wth was FA spending and contract extensions at all time highs in the off season ? Did they really think guys would sign deals then give money back ? These owners are supposed to be smart business men I thought ?

The only people I feel bad for are the fans who loved watching the games but mostly for the people who are now out of work through no fault of their own like the arena workers, vendors and office people. Those are the people really getting screwed in all of this BS.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I can't believe it has come to this again ! I would have bet money at the end of last year that the regular season would have started on time because I didn't think the owners would be this stupid. The NHL was hotter than ever and creating a lot of new interest in the league. Now probably many of the new casual fans and even some of the long time fan base will be lost.

The players pretty much wanted to keep things the same and play while negotiations took place but the idiot owners locked them out. Why ? It makes no sense to me because if you as an owner wanted to reduce revenue sharing and player contracts then wth was FA spending and contract extensions at all time highs in the off season ? Did they really think guys would sign deals then give money back ? These owners are supposed to be smart business men I thought ?

The only people I feel bad for are the fans who loved watching the games but mostly for the people who are now out of work through no fault of their own like the arena workers, vendors and office people. Those are the people really getting screwed in all of this BS.
This Ladies and Gentleman is exactly why we have no hockey...
2013 BOWMAN DRAFT
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post

BAM you have hit the nail on the head here, and as usual the real impact as you stated get's a fraction of the press! #@#@#@#@ the Owners and the Players!!!!!!!!!!