Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Griswold Rinkwraith entry contest #4

And now a special public service announcement from Clark to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman;

You see, Clark and I don't like the whole current lockout situation and well....Bettman's gotta go.

Clark has elected you as the new NHL commissioner and your mission is to save the NHL.

1) define a key term in your new CBA with the players
2) define any team changes (relocation/contraction/change in division) you'd implement
3) define one rule change you'd implement

Contest will run until 11/29 5pm EST. All valid entries will be randomed to determine winners into the winner's pool.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Needless to say, I am getting really unhappy with the lockout. With basketball and football in season, I can still watch those. But I am starting to go through hockey withdrawal, and want to watch my Rangers. It's going to be a real bummer in the middle of february with nothing else on, and NO hockey to watch.

Here are my changes:

1) Get rid of those ridiculous front-loaded deals, where players can get 13-15 years, but get all the money within the first five year.

2) I would move most of the unsuccessful teams in the South (Panthers, Coyotes, Lighting, etc.) to new cities in Canada, where they can actually support a hockey franchise and would truly embrace the team.

3) I would tweak the OT scoring system. I think it is unfair that extra points are awarded if a game goes to OT (3 points total versus 2). So, my scoring system would be as follows:
3 pts for a regulation win
2 pts for an OT win
1 pt for an OT loss
0 pt for a regulation loss.
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I beg to differ. Moving all the teams to the North hurts the sport more than it would help. There has been a tremendous amount of new followers to the game in general down in southern states. A team in the north *Does Not* guarantee success. The Devils are on the verge of being the new Coyotes and hell look at Winnipeg in the past. There are some southern teams with a good following and loyal fans not to mention profitable. I for one enjoy ticket prices where it doesn't cost a month salary to see a game.

Anyway, on to the contest:

1) limit contracts to 5 years and the pay per year must be the average pay over that term plus/minus 10% max as long as it equals out in following seasons of course. New CBA is good for 20 years. To offset the long timeframe general assemblies can be held every 5 years in which the owners and players can vote on new terms/ammendments which only pass if there is a 2/3 majority agreement between the members of each party.

2) restructure divisions in regards to geographical location as it should be. Ex. Winnipeg should not be in the southeast.

3)Modify icing to safer for the players. If a player has a significant lead at the half boards, the whistle is blown automatically.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ladies and gentlemen, as new Commisioner of the National Hockey League, I have a few changes to make, effective immediately.

1) Contracts will be limited to 5 years, and our hockey related revenue will be split 50/50. No more crazy 15 year contracts, no sir.

2) The Phoenix Coyotes, New York Islanders, Columbus Blue Jackets, and the Dallas Stars will all be relocated to cities that will truly appreciate them and where they will thrive.

3) Donald S. Cherry, your prayers have been answered. No-touch icing will be implemented immediately, the trapezoid will be no more, and the Instigator penalty will be removed. We will make hockey safer where it needs to be safer, bring honor and class back to the game, and give goalies the opportunity to play the puck.

However, Mr Cherry, there will have to be some give to go with the take. No more blinding ties or suits on television, and only 5 out of the 7 minutes of Coaches Corner ca be dedicated completely to praising Gary Roberts.

Thank you all very much.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

1) I would have the owners and players split 50/50. They're both relatively equal IMO in bringing in the loot. They can't successfully coincide without respecting each other and viewing each other as "equal".

2) As people have already mentioned, I would move franchises who havr poor fan bases to a Northeast or Canadian city (who of course show interest - being a Canadian or NE USA city doesn't guarantee anything), where they will be supported better, and be more likely to have success.

3) I would alter the Obstruction rule. I'm not saying that players should be able to tackle and blast an opponent who is attempting to play the puck, but some calls are just ridiculous IMO. Sheesh, I've seen guys fart on an opponent and get an obstruction penalty. It's a physical game, let their be a little battle for the puck!
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

1. 10% max variance in contract value from year to year.
2. Phoenix to Quebec, Florida to Markham. Realign divisions, and who cares how just bring back the Chuck Norris division.
3. GET RID OF THE INSTIGATOR RULE
xgoodgriefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

1) I would get rid of guaranteed money. Players need to know that if they do not produce up to some standard they can get cut. In addition to that, l agree that there should be a cap on the length of the contracts given out in the future and make them un-circumventable.

2) It's hard to go against moving teams back to Canada that do not do well in Southern markets. The teams would thrive in Canada and make the league stronger. With record revenues, I would have to think expansion is the best bet, but I would look into putting any other team in Toronto and maybe another one in the upper Mid-west or Seattle.

3) I think players need to be held accountable, so the instigator rule has got to go. Enforcers are not to be viewed as goons, they are on the ice to police palyers who want to run others. If you run my best player, you can expect to get the tar kicked out of you. I would also be in favor of playing a 20 minute 4 on 4 OT. The ice would be wide open and there would be a better chance the game won't end in a shoot out. In the point, a 3 point system would be best, 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

1) Cut the max length of contracts to 6 years while making the remaining years after first year not be less than 20% the value of the first year to prevent front loaded deals(these 10-15 year deals are crazy). The goal should be to obtain a 50/50 cut with players and owners. To this end teams would have 3 years to get in this range by honoring current contracts. Any contracts over 6 year or out of line with above 20% rule would have to be reworked to fall in line. Teams would have 30 days to renegotiate any such contract or players would revert to free agent status

2) I wouldnt go about moving teams. The send them all to canada approach isnt the answer. Remember alot of the teams left Canada for many reasons. Also alot of the canadian teams now don't want it to protect their fan base/territory. There would need to be some realigning of divisions.

3) The rule change i would implement would be moving the interference ruiles back to the way they used to be. This isnt basketball you should be able to touch a player and mpove him from the net. Should be a price to camp out in front of the net
Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

1) CBA is mandatory for 10 years.
2) Panthers? See ya. Lightning? Later. Coyotes? Gone. I would move 2 teams to canada and one team to Seattle.
3) I would make it 1 point for an overtime appearance, 2 points for an overtime win, 3 points for a regulation win.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

1) define a key term in your new CBA with the players - no guarenteed contracts just like the NFL.

2) define any team changes (relocation/contraction/change in division) you'd implement - Remove teams from the South and put them back in Canada - I want my Nordiques back!!!!

3) define one rule change you'd implement - Elimination of points resulting from any type of loss. A loss is a loss = 0 points

Happy Holidays, Adam
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

I agree with others..those long term contracts for what seems is 50 years has got to go. Do them more like the other sports. 5-7 years.

2) define any team changes (relocation/contraction/change in division) you'd implement

I would say relocate teams to Canada because the sport is bigger there and the teams that are at the bottom might be in a better market but I say lets do a division mix up. Let the good top tier teams battle it out in a division and the bad or bottom teams battle it out with equal competition so they can actually make the playoffs. Thats where the real noise is always heard with the lesser tier teams. It would make the playoffs even more exciting than they already are.

3) define one rule change you'd implement Obstruction rule..lets just get rid of it in general or really fix it like basketball did with the fake falling.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

1. Implement stricter punishment on dirty hits and concussions

2. Probably contract Columbus

3. I'm not great on the rules of hockey but something to open up more scoring, maybe the offsides or icing rules

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

1) contracts would be unlimited, but no front loading. If you're a team that wants to sign a star player for 15 years great (fans would love stars to stay.....trust An oiler fan) but no front loading. You'd pay the same for a 40 year old Gretzky as a 25 year old if you wanted to make that move.

2) Florida goes to S. Ontario, Phoenix goes to Quebec (irony there), and Tampa or Anahiem goes to Seattle.

3) I'd look at no-touch icing. Who wants to see careers ended by those chases into the end boards.

I'd say to the owners, it's time to manage yourselves more professionally. Don't sign cheques your butt can't cash, don't keep teams in markets that inevitably mean they'll be on life support just to survive. A few necessary changes and the league grows like crazy as it is poised to do. Everyone can win.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

1) 5 year max on deals...no more front loading and 15 year monster deals

2)i would restructure divisions according to location

3)obstruction calls need to be relaxed and also alter icing rules to try to limit head injurys
mickdapug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

1) define a key term in your new CBA with the players - I'd completely honor all contracts as they are written. They would be paid out at 100%, and if the owners don't like it, maybe that'll teach them to think before signing a ridiculous contract.

2) define any team changes (relocation/contraction/change in division) you'd implement - BRING BACK THE WHALE!!!! A failing team would be relocated to Hartford and become the new Whalers, complete with the old jersey style (one of the total failures of the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg was their new jerseys...not because they're bad but because they're not using even part of the old style).

3) define one rule change you'd implement - I'd institute two changes immediately, I'd start no-touch icing and eliminate the instigator rule. Both of those would help with the flow of the game, would cut down on dirty play, and would be huge hits with the fans.

Last edited by brado8236; 11-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.
brado8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

- Pretty much what the owners are trying to do, get 50/50 split of Hockey related revenue, and limit contract length to eliminate back dropping "retirement" contracts (I'd want 8 or 9 year limit with no greater than 20% variance in salary from one year to next) (most likely will see something like this when they stop being dick wads and settle... in 2013 (this lockout is so #@#@#@#@ing stupid its not even funny, nobody's gonna have any noses left. 2005, when they missed season, was necessary, didn't have to take so long though)

- Sort out Phoenix mess, send them to Quebec City (good chance of that happening) but requiring them to be called Nordiques and wear their old blue igloo uni's. I'm against contraction (and expansion) but if were to contract it would be Phoenix and (sadly) Florida (contraction not happening, expansion possibly [ Seattle and another Toronto area team]. Realignment needs to be done cause Winnepeg (formerly Atlanta) is still in the Southeast division (will definitely happen). Bring back the old conference and division names. Eastern and Western conference = boring, Prince of Wales and Campbell conference (Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe divisions) = awesome (will definitely NOT happen) I also miss the Hartford Whalers.

- Make shooting puck over glass in defensive zone = a icing call (can't make line change), not a minor delay of game penalty unless it was obvious they were doing it on purpose.
-OR-
- 10 minute 4 on 4 overtime ( not 5 minute) before shootout and change to 3 points for ROWs (Regulation/Overtime wins), 2 points for shootout win, 1 point for shootout loss, no points for overtime loss. (all games result in distribution of 3 points, not some 2 and some 3)
there are a couple more that need to be done (hybrid icing [ will likely happening] , removal of the trapazoid)

thanks for the chance
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

limited contract terms and no crazy back-loading of deals to prevent another kovalchuk or dipietro situation.

oy, get rid of the islanders already. i don't know if moving to barclay's center will all of a sudden make them competitive again.

hmmm... let's get rid of the touch on icing, and make it more like college. it's a friggin waste the way they do it now.

thanks for the wonderful contest!
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Contracts can be no longer than five seasons in length.

Quebec needs another team, so say, "Au Revoir" to Phoenix you nasty little desert dogs. I'd also relocate the Hurricanes or Blue Jackets to Seattle.

No touch icing.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

- teams must reduce ticket prices by at least 10% for season ticket holders and not raise single tickets due to this being the second lockout in 6 years. Cost may not be passed along via merchandising, parking revenues, etc...
- pay for performance - everybody gets the same base deal with various incentive levels added to contracts (G, A, PM, Save, etc...)
- if your team is in the bottom 5 of attendance over 3 years you get moved north! Can be average or actual #s.
- if the goalie is out of his 'blue area' you may hit him! He's a hockey player damnit!

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

1) One rule - no rules! Anarchy, baby! At least there will be hockey.

2) Take hockey out of sunny Florida, it does not belong there.

3) Get rid of shootouts for tie games. I really hate this, they lose their mystique when they happen so often now.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

1) Contracts must not exceed 8 years. 5 years is an unrealistic number and the NHLPA would never agree to it. 8 years is usually the prime of a player (25-33 years old) and if a team wants to commit 8 years to a player that is their risk.

2) realign the conferences, but keep the divisions roughly the same. I don't like the new system that was going to be implemented. The system works now, if it ain't broke dont fix it.

3) Get ride of the stupid octagon behind the net. It allows goalies to be more active and not just stay in net the entire time. With this rule tweak the icing rules as well by making it no touch icing from behind the blue line, regular icing between the red & blue line.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Deadline....random coming shortly
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Old 11-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

There were 20 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
1.ilovethelakings
2.roc21

3.charnick
4.dd316
5.flobert1205
6.fisk-factor75
7.GoJays
8.newton615
9.xgoodgriefx
10.brado8236
11.SethMurphy
12.mickdapug
13.ncm7772
14.jetscollector10
15.Oilers1980
16.bookyyyyy
17.bassking511
18.Axeldog15
19.MrSnyder
20.Giantsphan

Timestamp: 2012-11-29 23:52:06 UTC

You have randomized this list 3 times.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Congrats! Ouch i was last
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

NICE!.... Thank You very much!!,,, definitly the most creative contests