Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #51 (permalink)

I'm getting pretty tired of hearing about the lockout day after day. TSN spends about a quarter of SportsCentre on the lockout, even on days like today, where nothing is done. There are much bigger and more important things going on in the world of sports than a bunch of idiots meeting in a room for four hours.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing about the lockout day after day. TSN spends about a quarter of SportsCentre on the lockout, even on days like today, where nothing is done. There are much bigger and more important things going on in the world of sports than a bunch of idiots meeting in a room for four hours.
ESPN hasn't said two words about it for weeks and even when they do occasionally get around to it it's like a group of kids pointing and laughing.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
ESPN hasn't said two words about it for weeks and even when they do occasionally get around to it it's like a group of kids pointing and laughing.
Jeez, sounds like a complete 180 from the way it is here. It's an accomplishment if one of the top five stories of the day isn't a hockey-related story, even in the middle of summer.

And of course during summer all we hear about is the CFL, which dominates the media (TSN).

Hockey and Canadian Football are all we hear about here in Canada. It really is pathetic.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
stop watching candian sports center and you would be fine

hockey in the states is like a red headed step child

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
stop watching candian sports center and you would be fine

hockey in the states is like a red headed step child
It's tough to stop, because Jay and Dan are so freaking hilarious!

I love hockey and I love hockey highlights and analysis during the season/July 1st (free agency), but when absolutely nothing is happening, do we need 1/4 of the show dedicated strictly to hockey?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
It's tough to stop, because Jay and Dan are so freaking hilarious!

I love hockey and I love hockey highlights and analysis during the season/July 1st (free agency), but when absolutely nothing is happening, do we need 1/4 of the show dedicated strictly to hockey?
what else can they talk about the raptors ? cfl?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
what else can they talk about the raptors ? cfl?
NBA season is in full swing, NFL playoff race is heating up, hell, they barely cover the CHL unless it's a draft preview.

It comes down to what exclusives they have. They have exclusive rights to every CFL game, which is why it gets just about all of the coverage during the summer. TSN also has exclusive rights to national curling, which is why it is showcased so prominently. Rogers Sportsnet, TSN's biggest competition, has exclusive Blue Jays rights, which is why they'll feature the Blue Jays/MLB more (although it's still not enough).

I somewhat envy you folks in the northeast US. You get decent coverage of almost every major sport (except hockey apparently).
Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #58 (permalink)

Hockey is God in the Frozen North . Down here in plenty of area's its big as well. But ESPN stopped showing hockey highlights after 04/05 you see some on ESPN but not very much. If it were football or basketball it would be all over the TV . I just wish Fairy would get fired and the players would start taking votes on this stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #59 (permalink)

NHLPA now exploring decertification. Actually they are considering a disclaimer of interest which actually can be enacted a lot faster than decertification
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #60 (permalink)

Dustin Byfuglien must weigh 760 pounds by now.
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
Dustin Byfuglien must weigh 760 pounds by now.
Dustin Penner must be near there too, what with all of those pancakes .
Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #62 (permalink)

NHLPA to most likely dissolve union tomorrow, lawsuits to follow. 2012-13 NHL Season basically cancelled if NHLPA dissolves and 2013-14 NHL Season is at stake.
I am collecting LeBron James 2010-11 cards in general. 100 different 2010-11 cards and 100 total LeBron cards reached on May 11, 2012. 191 total LeBrons cards now. I got 177 certified autographed cards with 100 being reached on 10-11-12, 150 reached on 3-25-13 and 1 Manute Bol "non-certified" autograph. (none of LeBron of course)
dxtrfn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #63 (permalink)

Once again I state,

The season will open up on 1/1 with the Winter Classic.

Gary Bettman cannot lose a 3rd season in his tenure as commissioner right?.....RIGHT?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #64 (permalink)

is there any chance that if the nhl decertifies that players can actually play in North American Leagues like the ahl?
howethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyyyyyy View Post
Once again I state,

The season will open up on 1/1 with the Winter Classic.

Gary Bettman cannot lose a 3rd season in his tenure as commissioner right?.....RIGHT?

This will never happen........I think the season is going to be lost and it is the owner's fault.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck6599 View Post
This will never happen........I think the season is going to be lost and it is the owner's fault.
Interesting perspective (the owners part, the rest is very true). I see this as Donald Fehr and the players fault. The fact they continue to turn down the owner's offers, is, in my opinion, the ultimate sign of greed. 50/50 is a terrific offer, why someone would decline that makes no sense to me.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #67 (permalink)

My favorite insight on the whole situation comes from Chris Botta, a beat writer who use to work for the Islanders. He continues to reiterate how close the 2 sides were, and how mediation didnt work BUT now the courts can step in and really oversee things.

For those who dont remember this happened with basketball as well. 12 days later we had a season. I understand the issues run deep & are complex, but they were soooo close just last week. I stand by my view of the season starting on 1/1.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
My favorite insight on the whole situation comes from Chris Botta, a beat writer who use to work for the Islanders. He continues to reiterate how close the 2 sides were, and how mediation didnt work BUT now the courts can step in and really oversee things.

For those who dont remember this happened with basketball as well. 12 days later we had a season. I understand the issues run deep & are complex, but they were soooo close just last week. I stand by my view of the season starting on 1/1.
Not happening. Venue for Winter Classic (Big House @ U-M) cannot be made ready in time for 1/1. Your ignorance of that fact lessens confidence in the rest of your post.

There might be the tiniest microfiber of hope for a 1/15 start to a truncated season, but the smart money is on the whole thing going down the $hitter. Keep smoking what you're smoking, though, it does provide some laughs.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Not happening. Venue for Winter Classic (Big House @ U-M) cannot be made ready in time for 1/1. Your ignorance of that fact lessens confidence in the rest of your post.

There might be the tiniest microfiber of hope for a 1/15 start to a truncated season, but the smart money is on the whole thing going down the $hitter. Keep smoking what you're smoking, though, it does provide some laughs.
Classy, very classy.

Optimism is what causes you to be snarky, huh.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Classy, very classy.

Optimism is what causes you to be snarky, huh.
I actually thought I was pretty polite until the last line. My apologies if you are not a pot smoker.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #71 (permalink)

No season unless the owners and players work something out before they get into the court room. I don't see that happening right now. I wish some of the owners would come out and talk. Ya i know its a fine but i would love to hear what Vinik has to say.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting perspective (the owners part, the rest is very true). I see this as Donald Fehr and the players fault. The fact they continue to turn down the owner's offers, is, in my opinion, the ultimate sign of greed. 50/50 is a terrific offer, why someone would decline that makes no sense to me.
Fehr wasn't around for the last 2,it's all bettmann.He started in 1992.
Need I say more.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
fehr wasn't around for the last 2,it's all bettmann.he started in 1992.
Need i say more.
fehr was around for the baseball one
thats like 10x worse

i wonder if the union would turn down a
90/10 split in their favor

Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Fehr wasn't around for the last 2,it's all bettmann.He started in 1992.
Need I say more.

no its all owners and players, a small part Bettman
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
no its all owners and players, a small part Bettman
Another inane poster ITT - Bettman works for the owners, he is not a separable entity in the issue, as much as we all loathe him. The personalities involved here, the egos particularly, bode ill for resolution anytime soon.