Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

This appears to be Subban's best period so far this tourny. The US boy's need to keep throwing shot's on net. Gibson has kept us in this game, must score early in the 2nd!

Seth Jones is showing his lack of experience tonight. Needs to start taking the body around the net.

Last edited by TASS; 12-30-2012 at 06:24 AM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #27 (permalink)

Subban answering his critics so far. Good game from him.

Trouba looking real strong for the Americans. Jones showing some inexperience, but his rival MacKinnon hasn't fared too much better (although he has had a decent game, created some good scoring plays).

Hoping for another strong period to close out the game. As of now it looks like Russia shouldn't be too tough, although I won't get too cocky, won't make any premature or outlandish comments (I'll try not to be a Seth Jones!).
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Subban looks very under control this game and the Canadian defense is also strong

USA can't connect a string of passes much like the Russia game, best hope is to keep putting shots on net and hope for the best in order to get some goals.
brewcrew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #29 (permalink)

!Big goal for Team USA, now we got it going!! All after a great stop by Gibson.

Very dumb penalty by mccabe, now 5 on 3 for Canada AGAIN

Hously has to get these kids under control for the game with Slovakia, too many dumb penalties when they had the momentum!!

Wow rhis game has gotten nasty, USA kills the 5 on 3 now USA have PP!!

Just fell short, but proud of these USA kids!!

Last edited by TASS; 12-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #30 (permalink)

Tough game there, Canadians really failed to take advantage of the game when they could've (the numerous 5-on-3's in the third). Subban looked good, but he'll need another performance like that to get through the Russians.

A win is a win, but the Canadians should've done better.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

The USA boy's really took it to Canada in the 3rd period and after their Goal really dominated play (came very close to scoring #2, 30 sec. after the goal), the penalties we took in the last 8 min. were unexcusible!

The penelty kill was exceptional, and killing 5 on 3 PP with no goals scored, was very encouraging for our team.
I was very impressed with our effort, and I think without those unnecessary penalties it would have gone to OT.

Have to beat Slovakia and get to the next round where anything can happen!

As far as Subban the kid won this game for Canada and he's still being questioned?

With the talent and NHL caliber players on team Canada, I would think the issue is out front and not in goal, having (3) 5 on 3 PP has nothing to do with your goalie, who still had to make big stops the last 5 min. to secure the W! LOL

I'm sure Spott was impressed with his guy Gibson in this one, this kid has had some tough losses so far.

Last edited by TASS; 12-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #32 (permalink)

Another tough loss for USA, second 2-1 loss after out shooting their opponent. Those late penalties were just terrible and killed the offensive momentum.

USA offense looked good, better than against Russia. I think in most games that kind of offense would win you a game but Subban and the Canadian defense was solid. Really need more from the top lines, it seems like the grinder line of Vesay, Hartman and Baudreau have been the best all around. J.T. Miller and Tyler Biggs have looked very disappointing so far this tourney. Defense looks very up and down but I like what I see offensively from the blueline.

Anyway hoping for another USA Canada game this WJC but I'm not too comfortable about the USA/Slovakia game. I'll be up till the buzzer sounds again.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
Another tough loss for USA, second 2-1 loss after out shooting their opponent. Those late penalties were just terrible and killed the offensive momentum.

USA offense looked good, better than against Russia. I think in most games that kind of offense would win you a game but Subban and the Canadian defense was solid. Really need more from the top lines, it seems like the grinder line of Vesay, Hartman and Baudreau have been the best all around. J.T. Miller and Tyler Biggs have looked very disappointing so far this tourney. Defense looks very up and down but I like what I see offensively from the blueline.

Anyway hoping for another USA Canada game this WJC but I'm not too comfortable about the USA/Slovakia game. I'll be up till the buzzer sounds again.
This USA team has the talent to score goals but they have been getting far too many shots blocked.
Where I will credit Canada on a strong defensive effort (along with good back checking from the forwards), that said the same scenerio with Russia shows me they have to start 'cycling' the puck like the game vs. Germany.

Slovakia will be another tough game as they play alot like Russia, but are prone to allowing 2 on 1 opps. which with the USA team speed could be the difference!

As I have said earlier Phil Housley has done a great job getting this team prepared, but must preach discipline as that has hurt this team in both 2-1 losses. I was not sure what kind of play we were going to get from Gibson, but he has played above and beyond what was expected of him IMO.

Last edited by TASS; 12-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #34 (permalink)

Looks like the Team USA is headed to the QF as they are blowing out Slovakia 8-2 in the 2nd, nice to see the offense back!

The only negative is they have lost Gotisbehere to a major penalty and could face a suspension.

Going to bed, want to watch Canada/Russia at 8:30

Last edited by TASS; 12-31-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #35 (permalink)

Bold prediction - an Edmonton prospect will captain their team to the bye to the semis.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #36 (permalink)

Looks like USA will play the Czech Rep. in the QF, that's a good matchup for Team USA
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #37 (permalink)

The USA stepped it up when they had to. Even though they only went 1-2 in the preliminary round, I still believe they're a gold-medal threat.

Canada looked outstanding against Russia. They carried the play, and they did an amazing job of not allowing the Russians to break out of their own zone. They need to maintain that discipline and strong play into the semis, because they're in tough no matter who they play next.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
The USA stepped it up when they had to. Even though they only went 1-2 in the preliminary round, I still believe they're a gold-medal threat.

Canada looked outstanding against Russia. They carried the play, and they did an amazing job of not allowing the Russians to break out of their own zone. They need to maintain that discipline and strong play into the semis, because they're in tough no matter who they play next.
USA went 2-2 in the preliminary round beating Germany & Slovakia around 2-1 losses to Russia & Canada.

The QF matches are all set and should be entertaining, good tourny so far

Subban has stepped up his level of play which is why he has been in goal since day 1, this kid plays very good under pressure and will be tough to beat. As both a USA Fan as well as a Bruins Fan I'm partial to Subban!

Last edited by TASS; 12-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Geez, I completely forgot about the Germany game!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardBandit View Post
I think Finland might take it, they've been very consistent lately, Canada has been doing alright however I don't think Malcolm Subban is the next great goaltender like everyone claims he is.
Trying...not...to...

Not a good tournament for Finland. Although they ran into a tough Swedish team at the end, they lost some games and took some games to overtime that they really should've won in regulation. I though they would do well as well, figured either they or the Americans would face Russia for the bronze. Tough tournament for them.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #41 (permalink)

Liked how USA looked last night. I went to bed after the second period but other than the numerous turnovers and Gostisbehere penalty it was pretty solid all around. Good to see some new names step up like Goudreau and Trocheck and Gibson still looks solid.

Time to beat the other half of Czechoslovakia and get a rematch Thursday against Canada but the Czechs will still be a tough opponent.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #42 (permalink)

Wow, the Americans looked good against the Czechs. Canada better start quickly against them tomorrow, should be a great battle.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, the Americans looked good against the Czechs. Canada better start quickly against them tomorrow, should be a great battle.
Gaudreau has been a scoring machine for Team USA and the way they played the Czechs this AM they have got to be a favorite for a medal at the very least! Barber has also been a pleasant surprise to date.

If they continue to get the goaltending from Gibson along with the solid D they have played so far I see them being tough to beat,

Last edited by TASS; 01-02-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Win or lose, I'm pretty excited for the future of hockey in the US. We've made tremendous strides in just the last 5-10 years. Where will be be 10 years from now with all these new kids coming up who decided to play hockey instead of football or baseball? Glad to see it.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Win or lose, I'm pretty excited for the future of hockey in the US. We've made tremendous strides in just the last 5-10 years. Where will be be 10 years from now with all these new kids coming up who decided to play hockey instead of football or baseball? Glad to see it.
This assuming the lockout will ever end. If it doesn't I could see the sport dying out just about everywhere in North America except Saskatchewan.

Then the Russians would win. Crap.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
I watch (more than ever) College Hockey, and the amount of US talent is starting to become a major factor in NHL Drafts.

Just look at the group of kids we have on this Junior squad and how well they are performing in this tournament, returning to work after the holiday's so it's going to be early to bed and really early to rise to catch the game vs. Canada!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #47 (permalink)

Is it even worth going to bed now, or do I just stay up?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Is it even worth going to bed now, or do I just stay up?
I'm asking myself the same question. Is it worth sleeping for, what 3 hours, to potentially hit the snooze button in my state of unconsciousness and miss the game, or should I stay up, watch, and sleep at work tomorrow?

I think I'll play it safe and call in sick tomorrow .
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #49 (permalink)

I know its already 1:30, debating just crashing on the couch and setting an alarm.

If Canada can stay out of the box I think they win it. The US PP has been doing most of the damage. Hopefully its a close game and we can give Gibson a chance to steal it for us.

Wonder is Drouin is pushing Mackinnon and Jones for #1 overall with his play in the tournament....
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamchuk View Post
I know its already 1:30, debating just crashing on the couch and setting an alarm.

If Canada can stay out of the box I think they win it. The US PP has been doing most of the damage. Hopefully its a close game and we can give Gibson a chance to steal it for us.

Wonder is Drouin is pushing Mackinnon and Jones for #1 overall with his play in the tournament....
Up until the last game I would've said no (he improved his draft stock, but was still miles away), but after seeing Spott put him on the top line and Drouin performing as well as he did, I do think he is pushing for the number one spot. If he performs well tonight and in the final game (whatever it may be for), I see no reason he can't overtake MacKinnon for #1.

In theory this should be an easy win for Canada, but it'll definitely be a tough road. Canada needs to maintain a steady pace all game, and let the Americans make the mistake of taking penalties. Jenner and comp. need to keep out of post-whistle scrums and play a clean game (much as I love the rough stuff, it'll be our downfall if we start playing NHL-style hockey).

Subban will need to be brilliant again, which I think he will. If the Americans get on the board early, though, this could be a long afternoon/morning for Canada.