Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default World Juniors Discussion Thread

The tournament doesn't start until Boxing Day, but the hype here in Canada has already begun. So, I figured I'd get the discussion going here early.

Who do you think will win? What are your predictions? Here's my medal prediction:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia

Who ya got?!

Goaltending will determine whether or not Canada wins, but I think they have the best shot. Binnington looks to be running away with the starters job, but Subban could challenge if Binn struggles early.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Canada over Germany 9-3.

Hopefully Binnington will take over, Subban is stinking it up.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

1) Canada
2) Russia
3) Swedan
Crusader71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader71 View Post
1) Canada
2) Russia
3) Swedan
Not possible. Canada and Russia are in the same pool, meaning they can't finish 1-2. If Canada wins, the best Russia can finish is third.

Doesn't truly represent the "top three" of the tourney, but that's how it goes.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ooops my bad then I agree with ur picks!!
Crusader71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

1)Russia
2)Sweden
3)Canada
Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think Finland might take it, they've been very consistent lately, Canada has been doing alright however I don't think Malcolm Subban is the next great goaltender like everyone claims he is.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

USA has started out pretty aggressive against Germany, not sure Gibson will be enough in net to 'steal' a medal this tourny, but some decent talent should make this club at the very least competitive!

Gaudreau, Grimaldi & Galchenyuk (The Big G'sss) along with Jones and Trouba on D make this a Team that will score goals!

Go USA, USA!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TASS; 12-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Solid 1st period for Team USA, it looks like Housley has done a good job mixing the lines and getting these kids on the same page.

Very impressed with the movement on the PP.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardBandit View Post
I think Finland might take it, they've been very consistent lately, Canada has been doing alright however I don't think Malcolm Subban is the next great goaltender like everyone claims he is.
I don't know why Spott is so high on Subban. He's been sub-par throughout the pre-tournament games and into the first game. Hopefully Binnington will get some playing time soon, I'm not too sure Subban can survive both the Russians and Americans.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Americans played a very encouraging game today, however I would not use this game as much of a 'benchmark' as the German squad was really not prepared from what I could see

The USA PP was exceptional, and will be key in there marquee matchup's against Russia & Canada.

The game with Russia will be a test to see if indeed this team will compete for a medal, when tested Gibson looked good (withstood a few 5-3 PP) and did deserve the shutout! Bring on Russia

Phil Housley has done a great job getting these kids prepared.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Not possible. Canada and Russia are in the same pool, meaning they can't finish 1-2. If Canada wins, the best Russia can finish is third.

Doesn't truly represent the "top three" of the tourney, but that's how it goes.
Sure they can, since the quarters use a crossover format. If they finished 1-2 in their group, they could meet in the final.

Sweden and Russia were in the same group last year, and met again in the final.

Last edited by Craig; 12-27-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Sure they can, since the quarters use a crossover format. If they finished 1-2 in their group, they could meet in the final.

Sweden and Russia were in the same group last year, and met again in the final.
Is that how it works? I always thought it was the winner of pool A against the winner of pool B. Didnt know they used a crossover format.

Crusader, your predictions could come true!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Is that how it works? I always thought it was the winner of pool A against the winner of pool B. Didnt know they used a crossover format.

Crusader, your predictions could come true!
Yeah, I can't remember when they went this route but I like it better. Gives a chance for some good rematches if the two best teams are in the same pool. If I remember correctly, the early tournaments were just round robin with no playoffs...I like this format way better.

I don't get why Spott is so enamored of Subban. If it proves to be the wrong call, he will take some serious heat. I guess we'll find out more in about six hours, and I am going to be tired at work tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I can't remember when they went this route but I like it better. Gives a chance for some good rematches if the two best teams are in the same pool. If I remember correctly, the early tournaments were just round robin with no playoffs...I like this format way better.

I don't get why Spott is so enamored of Subban. If it proves to be the wrong call, he will take some serious heat. I guess we'll find out more in about six hours, and I am going to be tired at work tomorrow.
I had always just assumed it was a best of pool a vs pool b. This way does make more sense, though. With the two (possibly three) best teams being in the same division, it is unfair that only one can make it to the final. This way works better.

People seem to be thinking the Slovaks will be pushovers, but they took Russia to overtime. I'm not that confident at all. If Subban struggles early, I hope Spott pulls the plug on him. Binnington has been very good in the past month or so in preparation for the tournament. It would be terrible if he didn't even get a look.

Glad to know I'm not the only one watching the game live! I've got the week off of work, though, so it's a little more doable
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

USA, have had their chances in the 1st but penalties are #@#@#@#@ing killing them, currently killing off their 4th of the period.

USA survivies the 4 penalties and it has been a decent period even though they have played the majority of the 1st in their own end, not many good scoring chances by Russia on the PP.

Have to stay out of the box in the second.

Jacob Trouuuuuuba!! Ties the game on PP!!

Tied going to thee final 20 Min.!

It's over and a tough 2-1 loss for the USA, but still a great effort. This one came down to Makarov who played a great game in Goal for Russia and really validated why Russia played him over Vasilevski

Last edited by TASS; 12-28-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Nothing to be ashamed about for the Americans. Very tough team to play. Terrific goaltending on their part.

The Canadians on the other hand, well, they should be getting upset.

The team continues to come out slow and allow teams to gain momentum early. Yes, it's nice to put up three or four goals in the third period, but at some point someone will get a four goal lead early and the game will be lost.

Subban has really been struggling, unfortunately it may be too late to put Binnington in net. Not sure what it is with Subban, but two of those three goals could've easily been stopped.

Slovaks continue to play tough games, 2-1 to Russia and 6-3 to Canada. I imagine the Americans will get just as tough a test from them.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
The Canadians on the other hand, well, they should be getting upset.

The team continues to come out slow and allow teams to gain momentum early. Yes, it's nice to put up three or four goals in the third period, but at some point someone will get a four goal lead early and the game will be lost.
Agreed, if we do that against a team like Russia or the U.S., there won't be a comeback.

Our guys also just need to be smarter with their hits. There was no reason for Lipon to get his arm up on the Slovak player's head, and Camara's hit looked a lot worse than I thought when they showed the replays. The kids need to remember that a bodycheck is used to separate the player from the puck, not separate the player from his head...

On the plus side, this team has some incredible goal-scoring ability. I also think we have a great goaltender, but unfortunately he's sitting on the bench to this point.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed, if we do that against a team like Russia or the U.S., there won't be a comeback.

Our guys also just need to be smarter with their hits. There was no reason for Lipon to get his arm up on the Slovak player's head, and Camara's hit looked a lot worse than I thought when they showed the replays. The kids need to remember that a bodycheck is used to separate the player from the puck, not separate the player from his head...

On the plus side, this team has some incredible goal-scoring ability. I also think we have a great goaltender, but unfortunately he's sitting on the bench to this point.

Team USA needs to stay out of the penalty box and finish their opportunities if they want to beat Canada. They controlled the play for most of the 2nd period as well as the last 7-8 Min. of the 3rd but got beat by some great goaltending from Makarov today.

Canada has the most 'firepower' of any team I've seen to date, and the USA does not want to fall behind early in Sun. game. As far as Subban as a Bruins fan I'm glad to see him get playing time in such a pressure tourny, but he has been 'soft' on the glove side, which has been an issue with him throughout his career.

Looking forward to see how they play Russia, hope it's a draining game as that can only help our boy's from the States on Sun.!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Where can I watch this?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
Where can I watch this?
NHL network as selected games and all the Team USA games. Great stuff even better now with the NHL Lockout silliness..........
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
Where can I watch this?
NHL Network Sun. night 4:30 AM LIVE Vs. Canada is the next USA Live broadcast.

Here's a link for USA Hockey, along with TV schedule etc.
http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...juniors-hockey

Last edited by TASS; 12-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Just over three hours until game time. Who's staying up/getting up early to watch?

I've got work on Monday, so chances are I won't be watching the Russia game early. This is the big one!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

I'm staying up, never miss a USA Canada WJC matchup. Sure hope USA can pull it out but Canada looks pretty stacked this year.
brewcrew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

Where would we be without Nuge?

I haven't said this in a long, long time about a player, but he's far too good for this tournament.