Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help A Returning Noob

Hey all! I am a returning collector, having gotten into hockey cards back in the 70's-90's, but then taking a break due to lack of funds in my college years. I am ready to get back into it...but MAN there are tons of card companies now. I am overwhelmed! When I was inot it we just had Topps and O Pee Chee. Upper Deck had just come out - I collected in he first 3 years - as well as Pro Set and Score.

My question: Where do I jump back in? I feel like I will want to still create sets and hunt for the elusive RC's, but I have been told that relic/memorabilia stuff is more the norm now? Who are good companies to follow? I will not be spending tons of money on stuff, and want to collect sort of casually - and will also be looking to catch some stuff from the past as well to fill out stuff from my own collecting past

Also, withthe lockout looking to destroy the season, is it worth it to get 2012/13 cards? i am thinking that cards will either be:
a. not worth it since no one is playing
b. or be totally valuble as remnants of "The Year That Wasn't"

I wasn't collecting during the last lockout so I never thought about how that effected card values

thanks and no making fun of the old guy!!

Last edited by xpucksx; 12-29-2012 at 12:44 AM.
xpucksx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpucksx View Post
Hey all! I am a returning collector, having gotten into hockey cards back in the 70's-90's, but then taking a break due to lack of funds in my college years. I am ready to get back into it...but MAN there are tons of card companies now. I am overwhelmed! When I was inot it we just had Topps and O Pee Chee. Upper Deck had just come out - I collected in he first 3 years - as well as Pro Set and Score.

My question: Where do I jump back in? I feel like I will want to still create sets and hunt for the elusive RC's, but I have been told that relic/memorabilia stuff is more the norm now? Who are good companies to follow? I will not be spending tons of money on stuff, and want to collect sort of casually - and will also be looking to catch some stuff from the past as well to fill out stuff from my own collecting past

Also, withthe lockout looking to destroy the season, is it worth it to get 2012/13 cards? i am thinking that cards will either be:
a. not worth it since no one is playing
b. or be totally valuble as remnants of "The Year That Wasn't"

I wasn't collecting during the last lockout so I never thought about how that effected card values

thanks and no making fun of the old guy!!
Welcome back.There's only 2 companies making hockey cards.Upper Deck and Panini.If you want redemptions buy Panini.If there isn't a season don't bother.
UD have the Young Guns that everyone goes after.The companies aren't allowed to make RC until such player makes the roster.So if there isn't a season the RC crop is very weak.
UD came out with series one,the ranger RC is the only decent Rc.
Hope this helps.
No season,just save up and hit them hard next year.IF there isn't a season
there'll be 2 years worth of Rookies,like what happened in '05-06.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

The rookie class is indeed quite poor. However, the sets are pretty nice. I was a big fan of Artifact's release this year, cosmetically, and many have told me Black Diamond is a nice set. I don't buy Panini as I have no LCS and the retailers just don't carry their hockey products.
rolewiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Welcome back.There's only 2 companies making hockey cards.Upper Deck and Panini.If you want redemptions buy Panini.If there isn't a season don't bother.
UD have the Young Guns that everyone goes after.The companies aren't allowed to make RC until such player makes the roster.So if there isn't a season the RC crop is very weak.
UD came out with series one,the ranger RC is the only decent Rc.
Hope this helps.
No season,just save up and hit them hard next year.IF there isn't a season
there'll be 2 years worth of Rookies,like what happened in '05-06.
Well that's just not true. ITG, though unlicensed, is a major maker of hockey cards, and provides some of the best value in the hobby.

As for the OP's question, buying this year's stuff now (or in the coming months) wouldn't be a terrible idea. UD Series One will be dirt cheap once the season is canceled, and there are enough solid prospects (Chris Kreider, Jaden Schwartz, etc) to make buying the product worth your while. Artifacts and Black Diamond are both very decent products, though. Very veteran-heavy, so the value is there.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything Panini. I got hosed on a box of Certified this year. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Well that's just not true. ITG, though unlicensed, is a major maker of hockey cards, and provides some of the best value in the hobby.

As for the OP's question, buying this year's stuff now (or in the coming months) wouldn't be a terrible idea. UD Series One will be dirt cheap once the season is canceled, and there are enough solid prospects (Chris Kreider, Jaden Schwartz, etc) to make buying the product worth your while. Artifacts and Black Diamond are both very decent products, though. Very veteran-heavy, so the value is there.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything Panini. I got hosed on a box of Certified this year. I won't make that mistake again.
Thanks for the info...I was sort of leaning towards building at least one set just so that there is not a "hole" in my sets. My instinct was to go with UD cause I am used to them. My GF's youngest has some of the Artifacts and they look pretty cool...this is all good stuff. Looking to get a few boxes and do my first break in 20 years...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpucksx View Post
Thanks for the info...I was sort of leaning towards building at least one set just so that there is not a "hole" in my sets. My instinct was to go with UD cause I am used to them. My GF's youngest has some of the Artifacts and they look pretty cool...this is all good stuff. Looking to get a few boxes and do my first break in 20 years...
No problem. Always happy to help out a fellow Leaf fan. There aren't many of us on here! Go Leafs Go!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
No problem. Always happy to help out a fellow Leaf fan. There aren't many of us on here! Go Leafs Go!
..or No Leafs....NNNOOOOOO!!!!! this year. been fun following the Worlds this year tho, albeit via the web since we don't get any of that on tv down here