Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbadapple View Post
Bottom line, keep Bryz. Our defensive corps is much stronger now with the three fumbling idiots gone.
Are you out of your mind? You really think the likes of Lilja, Schenn, Grossman, or whatever garbage third pairing defensemen the flyers are gonna throw into the rotation is an improvement over Carle or Kubina? Maybe Kubina, but it's gonna be a rough year watching the Flyers D this year. Mez is still injured too. A lot will bank on Schenn finally stepping up this year, but it's hard to ignore the fact that he was sometimes a healthy scratch on the leafs last year...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluecolt93 View Post
Are you out of your mind? You really think the likes of Lilja, Schenn, Grossman, or whatever garbage third pairing defensemen the flyers are gonna throw into the rotation is an improvement over Carle or Kubina? Maybe Kubina, but it's gonna be a rough year watching the Flyers D this year. Mez is still injured too. A lot will bank on Schenn finally stepping up this year, but it's hard to ignore the fact that he was sometimes a healthy scratch on the leafs last year...
Lilja won't even be playing. If Lavvy has any sense, he'll be a healthy scratch. Carle wasn't as bad as Kubina or Lilja, true, but he was still a handicap anytime he was on the ice. Mez isn't injured anymore, he was supposed to be back playing in December sometime. Our defense is as follows:

Top 4 = Grossmann, Timonen, Meszaros, Coburn
Bottom 2, any combo of = L. Schenn, Gustafsson, Gervais, Lauridsen, Bourdon, Manning.

Mind you, L. Schenn had over 260 hits last year, more than almost anyone in the league, and by watching our defense and how the big players like Coburn and Grossmann refused to play physical, this would be a pivotal piece to the starting puzzle. My bets would be L. Schenn and Gustafsson for the bottom two. We are NOT lacking defensive propects either for the future to replace Timonen, and that's not even listing that Shayne Gostisbehere from the WJC.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
Marc Savard and Tim Thomas.

This wont happen though seeing as how we're repaying Savard for him giving up his ability to see light and hear loud noises. I think we're keeping Thomas and hoping for a comeback, even though Tukka will be firmly entrenched as the starter by then
Thomas contract is up after this season and he is sitting out/retired, so Bruins don't have to pay him anything. So he isn't even possible.

Savard is on LTIR so he doesn't count against the cap anyways. So neither is even a option.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergs1134 View Post
I could see the Wild getting a couple of seasons out of Parise/Suter and then destroying those contracts if things don't go well.
Highly doubt it. Both are young players and Wild aren't going to eat 60-70 million dollars to buy them out in a couple seasons.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
Highly doubt it. Both are young players and Wild aren't going to eat 60-70 million dollars to buy them out in a couple seasons.
I doubt it too, but if things don't go as planned I wouldn't put it past Leipold. According to what I saw, they wouldn't have to eat 60-70 pending them signing with another club. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
gergs1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
Marc Savard and Tim Thomas.

This wont happen though seeing as how we're repaying Savard for him giving up his ability to see light and hear loud noises. I think we're keeping Thomas and hoping for a comeback, even though Tukka will be firmly entrenched as the starter by then
no reason to buyout Thomas. He isn't playing so he isn't payed. Plus he has value at a trading level if he did come back
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #32 (permalink)

DP and GARTH SNOW!
Artchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

I really don't see any long term deals for the Ducks other than Fowler. Which if he stays under Niedermayer's wing, we won't want to get rid of him. No one else is signed beyond 2014-15. I am a little worried about Getzlaf and Perry. They are both UFA after this season.
Old Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

Gomez,Gomez and Gomez
nflfans4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I COMPLETELY disagree with letting Bryz go, but I'll come back to that.

Now back to Bryz. Bryz was not the problem, it was the defense. Primarily Kubina, Lilja, and Carla. Two are gone, one is still on the payroll but not as a starter. Given the option, I'd use the amnesty buyouts on Pronger & if I HAD to use the second one, then either Timonen or Briere. Only reason being age & still receiving $6MIL+ a year when they don't play at that caliber anymore.

Bottom line, keep Bryz. Our defensive corps is much stronger now with the three fumbling idiots gone.

I agree with this. I was wondering what the OP was thinking when I was reading their post. The Flyers have a bottom 5 defense in the league as far as defensive players as a whole
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Lilja won't even be playing. If Lavvy has any sense, he'll be a healthy scratch. Carle wasn't as bad as Kubina or Lilja, true, but he was still a handicap anytime he was on the ice. Mez isn't injured anymore, he was supposed to be back playing in December sometime. Our defense is as follows:

Top 4 = Grossmann, Timonen, Meszaros, Coburn
Bottom 2, any combo of = L. Schenn, Gustafsson, Gervais, Lauridsen, Bourdon, Manning.

Mind you, L. Schenn had over 260 hits last year, more than almost anyone in the league, and by watching our defense and how the big players like Coburn and Grossmann refused to play physical, this would be a pivotal piece to the starting puzzle. My bets would be L. Schenn and Gustafsson for the bottom two. We are NOT lacking defensive propects either for the future to replace Timonen, and that's not even listing that Shayne Gostisbehere from the WJC.
I see, but do you have any confidence in that top 4's ability to stay healthy? Grossman's knees are awful, Timonen's gonna play the most minutes and he'll be 38 soon, and Meszaros is just coming off an injury. One injury to any of them and I'm not gonna feel too confident with any of those bottom 2 defensemen taking a slot in the top 4