Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default History of hockey help... DR PRICE if you can see this

Just received my 1/1 history of hockey gordie howe.. trying to decide what to do with it and check ebay and come across this...

12 13 ITG History of Hockey Gordie Howe 1 1 Great Moments in Hockey | eBay

How can there be 2 1/1's of the same drawing? the only difference appears to be the patch but still. help anyone??

Trying to put together Brandon Lafell's Name have an L, A,F, E help please
Always looking for New England sports teams autos and patches
Jordan Todman supercollector!!!
los421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

The distinct "1/1" aspect is the patch - if you look at the pop-up CL for art memorabilia cards on the ITG website for this product there are 10 of these cards produced:

http://www.itgtradingcards.com/produ...y#!prettyPhoto[enable]/3/

Don't be too upset, as you and you alone made out like a bandit in that group break - the vast majority of people in it probably lost big-time cash if they were hoping to flip what they got in the break as the aftermarket sales of this product on ebay have been kind of meh to say the least.

Last edited by hairysasquatch; 01-08-2013 at 03:23 PM.
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whoa, someone is going to get checked face first into the boards for that! Besides you.
Old Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess if there are 10 hand painted cards, they can claim 1/1 on them. I can spot a couple differences between yours and the one for sale. Still kind of skirting the line IMO.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess I should have checked the check list... but under assumption 1/1 usually means 1/1. not 1/10, but all art work is a 1/1 because its not mass produced. Either way I know ill make money just made me question what was up

Trying to put together Brandon Lafell's Name have an L, A,F, E help please
Always looking for New England sports teams autos and patches
Jordan Todman supercollector!!!
los421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Each one of the first 40 cards in the product was hand-painted by the artist.

Thus none have been reproduced and are 1/1's with each one being slightly different.

There was no intent on "skirting the line".

Congratulations on pulling a great card.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
Each one of the first 40 cards in the product was hand-painted by the artist.

Thus none have been reproduced and are 1/1's with each one being slightly different.

There was no intent on "skirting the line".

Congratulations on pulling a great card.

Brian Price
I know... I get that, and I'm not trying to bash or be a hater. If it takes a trained eye to spot the differences then are they really 1/1. In my opinion, and I know it doesn't carry a lot of weight, a true 1/1 should be unique. If a painter hand paints 10 of the same landscape on canvas do they mark each one with 1/1? No, they number them. It would have been more appropriate to hand number them to 10 or something. And far less confusing. Or just release 1 hand painted card.

getting off the soap box now. ;-)

On a positive note, I am excited to get the Barilko card. That is a really neat story to share with people. I work with a Canadian guy that used to be a pilot and I remember talking to him about Barilko before.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nap View Post
I know... I get that, and I'm not trying to bash or be a hater. If it takes a trained eye to spot the differences then are they really 1/1. In my opinion, and I know it doesn't carry a lot of weight, a true 1/1 should be unique. If a painter hand paints 10 of the same landscape on canvas do they mark each one with 1/1? No, they number them. It would have been more appropriate to hand number them to 10 or something. And far less confusing. Or just release 1 hand painted card.

On a positive note, I am excited to get the Barilko card. That is a really neat story to share with people. I work with a Canadian guy that used to be a pilot and I remember talking to him about Barilko before.
Thats what goodwin champions did with their paint cards, each one hand painted /10

Opening a new hobby shop soon northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on facebook!
hanes1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

So would any autograph be a "1/1" based on the explanation given?

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleys1 View Post
Everyone except for Devante Smith-Pelly! ;-)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nap View Post

The funny thing is your choice of wording here would be exactly what gets you into trouble;

Copyright law recognises the right of an author based on whether the work actually is an original creation, rather than based on whether it is unique.

Thus it is always better to have a 1/1 original creation (which an handpainted work of art is) than to argue anything /10 (indicating not original) which would be unique but not an original creation. So in essence, you want your 1/1 to be original not unigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleys1 View Post
Be kind of fun if anything we use in our handwriting was automatically copyrighted (not really, real IP nightmare), but an autograph is hard to claim as an original creation. Can you imagine seeing a whole sheet of stickers signed by the athlete a couple hundred times and making a claim each one is an original creation?
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ok Rink, I see your point, but I will argue...

Given that the artist was 'commissioned' to recreate an existing photograph, makes this a more blurry line to me. It's not truly original art. Yes they are all hand painted and one could argue that they are unique given that every brush stroke is different. But we're not in court here. I'm looking at it from a card collectors perspective. If my card says it's 1/1, I want to be the ONLY person with that card. Besides the swatch being different. When another card is 'almost' identical, it's not 1/1. I could argue every single card out there is 1/1. Depending where it was printed on the sheet, how the ink dried, how it was cut, etc, etc. It's a matter of where we draw the line. And it peeves me off that people clutter up eBay with 1/1 on things that are truly not. It's not honest. Even though it was stated in the checklist, I don't have to agree with it.

And Dr. Price, I was not trying to imply that you were doing anything illegal. I should have said, blurring instead of skirting. But if we the consumer don't say anything, then how does a company improve. I really am just trying to give constructive criticism.