Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   HOCKEY (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/hockey/)
-   -   Buh-Bye Brian Burke (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/hockey/428770-buh-bye-brian-burke.html)

Johnnycoldcuts 01-09-2013 02:31 PM

Buh-Bye Brian Burke

Has been fired by Toronto. He didnt want Luongo but apparently everyone else in the organization did. Oh boy.

BostonNut 01-09-2013 02:49 PM

Thanks for Seguin! Any time you want to help out the B's I'm sure Toronto would hire you back anytime! :)

DetectiveChrome 01-09-2013 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=BostonNut;3989224]Thanks for Seguin! Any time you want to help out the B's I'm sure Toronto would hire you back anytime! :)[/QUOTE]

and Dougie Hamilton

Kessel is a great goalscorer but the Leafs didn't pair him up with a good centre, so I agree with the Leafs' helping the B's!

Toronto got the better end of the deal on Kaberle for Colborne & 1st rd pick (which the Leafs traded)

Oilers1980 01-09-2013 04:58 PM

Leafs trying to finish last....draft McKinnon.

Trading for Louongo, step 1.

GoJays 01-09-2013 07:12 PM

Absolutely horrible firing. Aside from the Kessel trade, Komisarek signing, and Gustavsson signing, Burke did a great job in TO. He really built up a strong team for the future.

I don't at all agree with this, and I think this'll come back to haunt us for a long, long time.

hairysasquatch 01-09-2013 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=GoJays;3991103]Absolutely horrible firing. Aside from the Kessel trade, Komisarek signing, and Gustavsson signing, Burke did a great job in TO. He really built up a strong team for the future.

I don't at all agree with this, and I think this'll come back to haunt us for a long, long time.[/QUOTE]

My g*d you guys are going to start giving the Detroit Lions a run for their money as the most consistently mis-managed sports franchise...:devil:

GoJays 01-09-2013 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=hairysasquatch;3992372]My g*d you guys are going to start giving the Detroit Lions a run for their money as the most consistently mis-managed sports franchise...:devil:[/QUOTE]

The ownership in Toronto has been god-awful post-expansion. Be it the devil himself (Harold Ballard), the TEACHERS of Ontario, or Bell/Rogers, ownership does not seem to care in the least.

The most valuable sports team in Canada is also historically the worst. Doesn't make sense.

TASS 01-09-2013 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=GoJays;3992442]The ownership in Toronto has been god-awful post-expansion. Be it the devil himself (Harold Ballard), the TEACHERS of Ontario, or Bell/Rogers, ownership does not seem to care in the least.

The most valuable sports team in Canada is also historically the worst. Doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

Makes all the sense in the world, Team has not made the playoffs since 2004, not Won a Stanley Cup since 1967 but still sell out the Air Canada Centre year after year, sounds like a hell of business plan to me money in the bank! :)!

GoJays 01-09-2013 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=TASS;3992594]Makes all the sense in the world, Team has not made the playoffs since 2004, not Won a Stanley Cup since 1967 but still sell out the Air Canada Centre year after year, sounds like a hell of business plan to me money in the bank! :)![/QUOTE]

It does make lots of sense, and the alleged 60+ year sellout streak is both a blessing and a curse.

There hasn't been a winning attitude within the team for over ten years, and haven't been owners that are truly invested into the team since Conn Smythe. It has been our downfall, no doubt.

Oilers1980 01-10-2013 12:36 AM

As much fun as I have picking on Toronto, I still do hope for better times and playoffs.
Everybody goes crazy when they are in the hunt.

And as much as I dislike Burke - this wasn't right at all in my opinion.

GoJays 01-10-2013 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=Oilers1980;3993936]As much fun as I have picking on Toronto, I still do hope for better times and playoffs.
Everybody goes crazy when they are in the hunt.

And as much as I dislike Burke - this wasn't right at all in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I've started to see more and more of this mentality here in Ottawa. The Leafs' failure was, at first, a joke, but it's gotten to the point where it's not even worth laughing about.

It's more sad than anything. The best fans in the world in the centre of the hockey universe don't get too see the playoffs at the highest level of the game.

You are right, the firing was not right. The team is rebuilding, and Burke is doing his best day in day out.

I've got to tell you, though, if the rumors as to why he was fired were true, he just gained even more of my respect (if that's even possible). Though I personally want Luongo, the fact he was willing to lose his job to ensure Bobby Lou wouldn't be brought in under his tenure is bold.

Oilers1980 01-12-2013 03:03 PM

Tons of respect for the small speech He gave at his presser today.

GoJays 01-12-2013 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=Oilers1980;4009629]Tons of respect for the small speech He gave at his presser today.[/QUOTE]

Really good speech by Burke. I really hope he finds work somewhere, he really deserves it. Great GM and a class act.