Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 93
Default Buh-Bye Brian Burke

Has been fired by Toronto. He didnt want Luongo but apparently everyone else in the organization did. Oh boy.
Johnnycoldcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
BostonNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,431
Default

Thanks for Seguin! Any time you want to help out the B's I'm sure Toronto would hire you back anytime!
__________________
Last edited by AP4MVP
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
DetectiveChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Thanks for Seguin! Any time you want to help out the B's I'm sure Toronto would hire you back anytime!
and Dougie Hamilton

Kessel is a great goalscorer but the Leafs didn't pair him up with a good centre, so I agree with the Leafs' helping the B's!

Toronto got the better end of the deal on Kaberle for Colborne & 1st rd pick (which the Leafs traded)
__________________
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g398/smarra/

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Oilers1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 498
Default

Leafs trying to finish last....draft McKinnon.

Trading for Louongo, step 1.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,518
Default

Absolutely horrible firing. Aside from the Kessel trade, Komisarek signing, and Gustavsson signing, Burke did a great job in TO. He really built up a strong team for the future.

I don't at all agree with this, and I think this'll come back to haunt us for a long, long time.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, Central NY
Posts: 2,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Absolutely horrible firing. Aside from the Kessel trade, Komisarek signing, and Gustavsson signing, Burke did a great job in TO. He really built up a strong team for the future.

I don't at all agree with this, and I think this'll come back to haunt us for a long, long time.
My g*d you guys are going to start giving the Detroit Lions a run for their money as the most consistently mis-managed sports franchise...
__________________
You've got to lose your mind in Detroit Rock City!
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
My g*d you guys are going to start giving the Detroit Lions a run for their money as the most consistently mis-managed sports franchise...
The ownership in Toronto has been god-awful post-expansion. Be it the devil himself (Harold Ballard), the TEACHERS of Ontario, or Bell/Rogers, ownership does not seem to care in the least.

The most valuable sports team in Canada is also historically the worst. Doesn't make sense.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
The ownership in Toronto has been god-awful post-expansion. Be it the devil himself (Harold Ballard), the TEACHERS of Ontario, or Bell/Rogers, ownership does not seem to care in the least.

The most valuable sports team in Canada is also historically the worst. Doesn't make sense.

Makes all the sense in the world, Team has not made the playoffs since 2004, not Won a Stanley Cup since 1967 but still sell out the Air Canada Centre year after year, sounds like a hell of business plan to me money in the bank!
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Makes all the sense in the world, Team has not made the playoffs since 2004, not Won a Stanley Cup since 1967 but still sell out the Air Canada Centre year after year, sounds like a hell of business plan to me money in the bank!
It does make lots of sense, and the alleged 60+ year sellout streak is both a blessing and a curse.

There hasn't been a winning attitude within the team for over ten years, and haven't been owners that are truly invested into the team since Conn Smythe. It has been our downfall, no doubt.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Oilers1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 498
Default

As much fun as I have picking on Toronto, I still do hope for better times and playoffs.
Everybody goes crazy when they are in the hunt.

And as much as I dislike Burke - this wasn't right at all in my opinion.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1980 View Post
As much fun as I have picking on Toronto, I still do hope for better times and playoffs.
Everybody goes crazy when they are in the hunt.

And as much as I dislike Burke - this wasn't right at all in my opinion.
I've started to see more and more of this mentality here in Ottawa. The Leafs' failure was, at first, a joke, but it's gotten to the point where it's not even worth laughing about.

It's more sad than anything. The best fans in the world in the centre of the hockey universe don't get too see the playoffs at the highest level of the game.

You are right, the firing was not right. The team is rebuilding, and Burke is doing his best day in day out.

I've got to tell you, though, if the rumors as to why he was fired were true, he just gained even more of my respect (if that's even possible). Though I personally want Luongo, the fact he was willing to lose his job to ensure Bobby Lou wouldn't be brought in under his tenure is bold.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Oilers1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 498
Default

Tons of respect for the small speech He gave at his presser today.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1980 View Post
Tons of respect for the small speech He gave at his presser today.
Really good speech by Burke. I really hope he finds work somewhere, he really deserves it. Great GM and a class act.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.