Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default ITG turned down NHLPA license this summer

ITG turned down NHLPA license this summer
Jan 17th 2013, 23:44

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Hockey Editor
In The Game’s Dr. Brian Price weighed his options.
Last summer, he was presented with a proposal – the opportunity to receive an NHL Players Association license for one year, producing two releases. Create NHLPA-licensed cards, and utilize rookies and stars in a potential locked out season? Or continue ITG’s strategy?
Price turned down the proposal.
“Sometimes the deals you don’t make are your best deals,” Price said.
Had he accepted the proposal, Price would have suffered from this season’s lockout and the loss of new Rookie Cards, a decision announced Wednesday by the NHLPA.
The exclusion of additional rookies in 2012-13 should have the greatest impacts on card store owners, something that worries Price.
“I have great concerns for the dealers whose primary sales come from hockey trading cards. While these dealers struggled during the hockey lockout, they anxiously waited for the game to get back on the ice so that they could enjoy ‘business as usual,’” Price said. “Well the lockout was resolved, but this announcement seems to be just as devastating.
“Let’s face it – the dealers are the core of the industry and without them, collectors would not be able to find the products they are looking for.”
Even so, Price understands how he can affect the marketplace. He still intends to produce products such as Heroes and Prospects coming out at the end of January and Motown Madness coming out in February. Price will also increase dealer programs to help traffic, a way to offset this season’s diminished card offerings.
The shortened NHL season officially starts Saturday. While hockey fans are happy the league is playing again, this is a bittersweet time for collectors – and that’s how Price also sees himself. He’s makes hockey cards, but he is also a fan and a collector.
“As a collector myself, I don’t feel that this decision is a good one,” Price said. “There is a season, although shortened. There are rookies playing this year. It is not like the 2004-05 season where there was no choice.”
While Price is disappointed by the decision to exclude new rookies, he also realizes how difficult the situation was.
“I am sure there are factors that went into this decision that are way over my head,” he said. “If both Upper Deck and Panini agreed to this solution, then who am I to judge their rationale?”

Beckett News ITG turned down NHLPA license this summer

blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like the NHLPA wanted a one year cash grab

anusinha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

1 year cash payment for lost games?
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good for Dr. Price.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, the NHLPA was trying to run a nice scam there, good for ITG for not falling for it!
Army19K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

I love how they wanted to limit him to only 2 releases, great job by Dr. Price saying "no thank you" there.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

ITG should have went for it and got it's foot back in the door. A way to get back into the game. Make a couple real nice sets with vets and retired guys. Then get back full time into next season.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
ITG should have went for it and got it's foot back in the door. A way to get back into the game. Make a couple real nice sets with vets and retired guys. Then get back full time into next season.
Maybe they don't need to. Maybe they didn't want to be limited to 2 releases. Maybe they didn't want just a one year deal. Maybe they felt the timing is terrible given the lockout.

I doubt someone outside ITG knows better what they should have or shouldn't have done than Dr. Price himself.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

So the NHLPA doesn't want it's license holders to produce cards of this year's rookie crop? That makes no sense.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

i'm guessing for the cost, it wasn't worth it to venture into 2 releases of licensed materials for ITG.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
i'm guessing for the cost, it wasn't worth it to venture into 2 releases of licensed materials for ITG.
Bingo.

ITG doesn't always thrill me with their stuff, but I respect their willingness to march to the beat of their own drum.
cards-gotta-go is offline   Reply With Quote