Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default some suggestions please

im still trying to become familiar with the different hockey brands. i noticed there is no bowman or topps.

in the game
bee hive
parkhurst
o pee chee
upper deck / fleer

are these all individual companies or does ud put them out too ?

now can someone suggest to me which sets can i find legend players like bobby orr , guy lafleur . is there a set that has these types of cards ? is there a set along the lines of say............ fleer tradition ? a design with a retro type look to it ? i miss the classice designs that topps put out. why dont we see this anymore ? i like the upper deck stuff, but some of the sets look so plain and boring.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

Im not an expert on hockey but Upper Deck has the monopoly on NHL products. In the game makes hockey sets as well but I think they are more comparable to press pass in other sports. The parkhurst, beehive, opc etc etc are all made by upper deck.
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam_cubbies View Post
Im not an expert on hockey but Upper Deck has the monopoly on NHL products. In the game makes hockey sets as well but I think they are more comparable to press pass in other sports. The parkhurst, beehive, opc etc etc are all made by upper deck.
at some point during the lockout as stated above UD and the NHLPA came to a backdoor behind the scenes agreement that only UD would be granted an officlal license to produce NHL approved trading cards. Exact details are to this day still unknown but the deal is believed to be for 5 years. We are currently are in year 3 of this living hell for hockey fans and collectors in dealing with UD. Coming out of the lockout UD did a decent enough job but it did not last very long. Starting about this time in 2006 they began to flood the marketplace with usless products that lack value, contain awful player selction, lack innovation or product quality assurance/control, are poorly collated and backed by horrible customer service. Every official NHL product in the marketplace is produced by UD, so dont be fooled by all the names- it is all UD. That about sums it up. Good luck finding something you can enjoy and fits your budget..........................................
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

wow i had no idea that parkhurst and bee hive were also put out by ud.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
wow i had no idea that parkhurst and bee hive were also put out by ud.
as the saying goes "if it looks like a duck, walks and sounds etc etc...it is a duck.............."

that is the game UD plays instead of being proud of their efforts with hockey (and seriously how could they?) they hide behind branding/market names of past products well past their prime.........it is a shameful approach in my opinion..............but hey when you have no licensed NHL market competition, it is easy to do I suppose.........
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah no competition sucks.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

i noticed bobby orr on one of the parkhurst boxes. is that strictly legends ? or a combo of current and past players.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

05-06 Parkhurst is current players except for Gordie Howe and 06-07 is for only past players from 1900s to recent retirees (Claude Lemieux, Scott Stevens, etc). Remember, Don and Ron are non-uniformed and are in suits as hockey icons if you pull one (Hockey Night in Canada) .
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote