Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

I am in utter and complete shock, I just paid $6.55usd for a single card in a bubble mailer wieghting .06 oz to go to Canada, this kills my business, looks like I will planning an exit strategy as I will be forced to get out of the business on the USPS' terms and not mine. Unless I can establish a workaround, I'll try and we will see, not my ideal scenerio.........more work on my end.........ugh........

I could go "political" and not "postal" here but I'll pass............
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhockey View Post
I am in utter and complete shock, I just paid $6.55usd for a single card in a bubble mailer wieghting .06 oz to go to Canada, this kills my business, looks like I will planning an exit strategy as I will be forced to get out of the business on the USPS' terms and not mine. Unless I can establish a workaround, I'll try and we will see, not my ideal scenerio.........more work on my end.........ugh........

I could go "political" and not "postal" here but I'll pass............
You got ripped off,it's $1.55.READ MY EARLIER POST.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
You got ripped off,it's $1.55.READ MY EARLIER POST.
I have actually felt that I have been getting ripped off at the PO for years now, ever since the last increase so I am not at all suprised. I see what you said so we will see. I will need to go speak with them.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhockey View Post
I have actually felt that I have been getting ripped off at the PO for years now, ever since the last increase so I am not at all suprised. I see what you said so we will see. I will need to go speak with them.
Half the people there don't know the rules,even before the the rate increase I had to fight with them.Large international envelope.The 6 x 9's should do the trick.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Half the people there don't know the rules,even before the the rate increase I had to fight with them.Large international envelope.The 6 x 9's should do the trick.
My p.o. will charge for parcel even if it is not thick. As long it has padding or bubble mailer, its going out for the $6.55 price.
Topps Low #'d black/hope/52' gold/ black heritage ref./etc. all sport nyquist,zibanejad,gustavsson,alex gordon, dean green, older autographics, gallinari, torrey smith, matt ryan, david wilson, tiger, ak, bubba, mcdowell
bogeyfreeround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #31 (permalink)

It sounds like it all depends on how diligent the workers are at your local post office.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #32 (permalink)

Do you guys think the price will go down in march?
"•Parcel Post® will no longer be available for purchase through eBay Labels as of January 27. A replacement service akin to Parcel Post will be available via eBay Labels in March."
Topps Low #'d black/hope/52' gold/ black heritage ref./etc. all sport nyquist,zibanejad,gustavsson,alex gordon, dean green, older autographics, gallinari, torrey smith, matt ryan, david wilson, tiger, ak, bubba, mcdowell
bogeyfreeround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyfreeround View Post
Do you guys think the price will go down in march?
"•Parcel Post® will no longer be available for purchase through eBay Labels as of January 27. A replacement service akin to Parcel Post will be available via eBay Labels in March."
Not likely - I can't see the USPS actually LOWERING prices.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyfreeround View Post
My p.o. will charge for parcel even if it is not thick. As long it has padding or bubble mailer, its going out for the $6.55 price.
Don't know what to tell you guys,if it fits through the whole that the gauge has and 6 x 9,it's less than $3.00.There's also four blue corners that if the mailer is smaller than the blue corners you get the cheaper rate.This is my last post on this !!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
It sounds like it all depends on how diligent the workers are at your local post office.
Just tell them to get the GAUGE !!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Just tell them to get the GAUGE !!!!!
I have to do this, I am going to meet with the facility manager and see what I can do, the PO always hits me with the max, especially recently. I have been frustrated on many occasions with the shipping costs to CA.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #37 (permalink)

Chezball is right. There may be an out here for us card sellers. I put in "Large Envelope" for "2oz" (single card is right around 1.10 oz. with bubble mailer). This is what popped up on shipping calculator on usps.com:

International Price Calculator

See bottom detals and price under "First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope"
Johnnycoldcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycoldcuts View Post
Chezball is right. There may be an out here for us card sellers. I put in "Large Envelope" for "2oz" (single card is right around 1.10 oz. with bubble mailer). This is what popped up on shipping calculator on usps.com:

See bottom detals and price under "First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope"
see,told you guys.So how much is 3 oz and 4 oz?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
This. Eventually the powers that be will start coming down on those who aren't charging the correct prices.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycoldcuts View Post

If you dig a little deeper into this, it says that the envelope "must be flexible" - here's the link:

240 First-Class Mail International

That could mean the buyer gets a creased card. The choices aren't good - you can either risk having the card get damaged in transit (which can happen even with a bubble mailer if they try the "flex test" shown in the picture) or you charge $7.50 in shipping and no one buys your card. Which way you go depends on the value of the card and how much of a stomach you have for risk.

Last edited by rippit; 01-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #41 (permalink)

its simple just get a stamps.com account and put the label on yourself

Opening a new hobby shop soon northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on facebook!
hanes1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #42 (permalink)

With PO the amount you pay really depends who the postal employee is. Slacker is good, stickler for rules bad.

From my understanding and the shock I got Monday, when shipping international if a bubble mailer is rigid it has to be shipped as a package - mailed 3 oz to Canada Monday cost $7+, Sunday would have been $3.30. With a card you want the package to be at least top loader rigid - some PO workers will hit you for rigid with a top loader and others will not. Just have to find the slacker - remember in the post office world slacker is good & stickler bad.
bullrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #43 (permalink)

I wish I would have read this beofre I listed stuff this week. There are 5 unhappy international people. Luckily prices are low enough I'll try the stamp route, but it's still annoying.

Check out my group breaks!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #44 (permalink)

oh man i have 105 cards on ebay ,,, open auction ,,,,,,,
3.50 anywhere on this planet

shoot thats gonna suck
96pavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96pavel View Post
oh man i have 105 cards on ebay ,,, open auction ,,,,,,,
3.50 anywhere on this planet

shoot thats gonna suck
Go in and edit anything that doesn't have a bid yet. Anything that does, cancel the bids and then edit the items.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #46 (permalink)

Question for international buyers
with the current postage rates would you mind a pwe for lower ender items ?

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrat View Post
With PO the amount you pay really depends who the postal employee is. Slacker is good, stickler for rules bad.

From my understanding and the shock I got Monday, when shipping international if a bubble mailer is rigid it has to be shipped as a package - mailed 3 oz to Canada Monday cost $7+, Sunday would have been $3.30. With a card you want the package to be at least top loader rigid - some PO workers will hit you for rigid with a top loader and others will not. Just have to find the slacker - remember in the post office world slacker is good & stickler bad.
You need to watch out for this comment. I happen to know exactly how to send mail with proper size by fitting them in mailers in the correct size. Because I do this the rate at which I send stuff is cheaper. But over on the basketball boards, they consider this Mail fraud and called me out on it. I think its pathetic that its considered mail fraud to pay the correct fee and not a lazy over inflated fee.

They also said I committed a crime for stating on a US customs form "Card in Plastic" because I happen to declare the sportscard a "card" and the toploader and penny sleeve a "Plastic".

Just to note to CDN buyers, you can use Xpress Post pre paid envenelopes to send small items in Canada and US. THe US porition is dependant on delcaring contents for customs.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
Question for international buyers
with the current postage rates would you mind a pwe for lower ender items ?
I have been getting some test mail from larger sellers recently from the US. They have been sending items to me in stiff "disk/CD" mailers. Seems like they can go as regular mail. They throw the toploader in there and the package does not come bent. Maybe this is what US sellers are going to do instead of using bubble mailers for 1 or 2 cards?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #49 (permalink)

I'm going to try an envelope tomorrow to Canada. Will let you know how it turns out.
bullrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrat View Post
I'm going to try an envelope tomorrow to Canada. Will let you know how it turns out.
it will turn out fine just use a stronger security style envelope- available in bulk at most office supply stores (Costco is where I get mine). I wrap the plastic holder cards (inside a team bag) in a sheet of paper and secure at both ends with tape so it does not slide out. Insert into envelope. Seal and then I secure with standard clear packing tape on both sides. One or two cards fit nicely in here and the rate should be a lot lower than the $6.55.....I have done this on and off for the last 9-10 years to CA and worldwide for that matter, never had any issues, had a few guys bitch at me for a PWE but my process is hardly that. This is one of my workarounds for sure and I will clearly state in the item description that this is how single/double cards will come. Even the lower point sized jersey/hit cards should be a go this way. I really doubt the CA buyers want to be paying $7.00usd for S&H for 2/3/5/10 buck card auction wins. After I got over the shock of my Monday shipping experience I have begun to think about workarounds, this is certainly one of them, without CA and Euro buyers I am toast on fleabay. Best part of what I just described; no customs form is required thought it might be prudent to still fill one out.

Good dialogue here fellas- lots of great ideas and comments.......keep the thoughts coming.........