Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default did the oilers just win the cup ?

yakupov scores and he totaly freaks out. the crowd go's insane . i know he excited but i think the celebration was a bit much . he could pay for this later .

Nail Yakupov does his best "Theoren Fleury" Celebration vs. Los Angeles Kings - YouTube
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think the Oilers have bigger things to worry about with the Gretzky trade.
carlo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Love of the game, heat of the moment, and a goal with only 4.7 seconds left? You can't blame him, he isn't the only player in the NHL that would have reacted like that
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/hotshotter/Sports%20Cards/
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

A couple of days late and a few dollars short...

Theo Yakupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
yakupov scores and he totaly freaks out. the crowd go's insane . i know he excited but i think the celebration was a bit much . he could pay for this later .

Nail Yakupov does his best "Theoren Fleury" Celebration vs. Los Angeles Kings - YouTube
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Don Cherrry rips Yakupov

This guy has a lot of balls ripping Yakupov for his goal celebration the other night. I would post the interview but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Being the blowhard he is what really get's me is he call's this kid an idiot all while wearing one of those #@#@#@#@ing 'bafoon' suits he wears.

There is no one that self promotes themself more than this guy, always bringing the attention to himself and find it rather hypocritical of a guy who wears 'clown suits' to bring attention to himself rather than a new exciting future star!

Don who's the real idiot here is what is in question IMO!

And I do believe the celebration was a bit much, but so is calling him an idiot. He's a #@#@#@#@ing kid and I would rather have him show exuberance, knowing the game is important to him.

We as hockey fans know this will come back to bite him, but let the kid learn from his mistakes rather than 'cut' him up for being excited.

And I felt the same way years ago when he also criticized Calgerys Fleury for a similar celebration. I can't believe Hockey Night in Canada still believes this guy is relevant. Don your act as well as you are getting too old for this game!

Last edited by TASS; 01-28-2013 at 02:09 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
This guy has a lot of balls ripping Yakupov for his goal celebration the other night. I would post the interview but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Being the blowhard he is what really get's me is he call's this kid an idiot all while wearing one of those #@#@#@#@ing 'bafoon' suits he wears.

There is no one that self promotes themself more than this guy, always bringing the attention to himself and find it rather hypocritical of a guy who wears 'clown suits' to bring attention to himself rather than a new exciting future star!

Don who's the real idiot here is what is in question IMO!

And I do believe the celebration was a bit much, but so is calling him an idiot. He's a #@#@#@#@ing kid and I would rather have him show exuberance, knowing the game is important to him.

We as hockey fans know this will come back to bite him, but let the kid learn from his mistakes rather than 'cut' him up for being excited.

And I felt the same way years ago when he also criticized Calgerys Fleury for a similar celebration. I can't believe Hockey Night in Canada still believes this guy is relevant. Don your act as well as you are getting too old for this game!
Well said. Up here no one listens to Cherry anymore. And Yak was excited, he won't do it again. Lesson learned....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeroil View Post
Well said. Up here no one listens to Cherry anymore. And Yak was excited, he won't do it again. Lesson learned....
That's not true. I listen to Don Cherry, and I know many other people who do.

He offers a perspective from a different era. Is he stuck in that era? Absolutely. But his insight is interesting and somewhat thought-provoking.

Did he go a little overboard? Yeah, of course he did. But that's who he is. If he didn't cross the line, he would've lost his job twenty years ago.

Cherry isn't wrong. In his day, if somebody did something liked that they wouldn't have seen the ice for the rest of the season (be it from benching or injury). Yet in 2013, somebody who celebrates like that is revered for it.

Yakupov went overboard, as did Cherry. Cherry had his valid points, and had many inane statements. That's just who he is, and why he has the following he does.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Who cares if he slid across the ice? He was excited...big deal

Don Cherry is the Dick Vitale of hockey. He's an utter buffoon
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post

+1, his act is old and played out, regardless of the era he is stuck in, the main point is the game changed many years ago and he has not accepted that. His rants are nothing more than trying to attract attention and from what I hear and see there are not many folks buying into it anymore!
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

Whenever if hear Don Cherrys voice or see his stupid ass face, I switch the station as fast as I can. Whoever compared him to Dick Vitale is dead on.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Big goal to tie the defending champs in his rookie season, please. Chill out, loosen up. Anyone that's mad has only been a Kings fan since last year anyway, I personally think we need more of that kind of passion. Wahhhhhhh!!!! Nail said it best when asked about his celebrations, go out and score some goals yourself and do something too.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Was that Nail's first goal? I'm sure Ryan Smyth or a vet on the team will talk to him about calming down a bit.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

I consider myself old school when it come to sports, being watching or playing them. With that said, if you don't want the NHL to turn into a 12 team league with no TV contract then things like this that bring ink are a good thing. As a fan of the NHL i'd like to see more celebrations and anything else that can bring this sport to the mainstream, and i'll leave the players to protect it's integrity.
carlo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo16 View Post
I consider myself old school when it come to sports, being watching or playing them. With that said, if you don't want the NHL to turn into a 12 team league with no TV contract then things like this that bring ink are a good thing. As a fan of the NHL i'd like to see more celebrations and anything else that can bring this sport to the mainstream, and i'll leave the players to protect it's integrity.
Yea but at what cost? The NBA tried to "Clean" its image when it forced all non playing players to dress in suits rather than "Street" wear if they didnt suit up for the game but were there. Sure it doesnt follow the street image of having your gangsta player wear a shirt and tie, but it does promote a certain type of image.

Im not a fan of Don Cherry because I think he purposely acts the way he does to get attention and more importantly helps keep his job. But the guy is right often time about things. I think he is right about this. Show boating is frowned upon in all sports. Its arrogant at best!! In the NBA you throw down a dunk and hang on the rim long enough, you get penalized. In football if your TD dance is out of line you get penalized. IN baseball nothing really happens because everyone is bored by the 2nd inning.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don Cherry is a POS - always has been and always will be.

Counter intuitive, often wrong, arrogant are words to explain him.

He has always hated European players and never gives them the respect they deserve.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
Don Cherry is a POS - always has been and always will be.

Counter intuitive, often wrong, arrogant are words to explain him.

He has always hated European players and never gives them the respect they deserve.
If you're suggesting he's only going after Yakupov because he's Russian, that's... I mean it's your opinion, but it's completely wrong.

I don't agree with everything Cherry says, but often times he does have a very good point. It's not that his points are invalid, Yakupov shouldn't have celebrated that way, it's how he expresses them. Time and time again he goes overboard and expresses his opinion in a way that looks incredibly foolish.

There are two people: there's TV Don Cherry, who goes way over the top and comes off at times incredibly offensive, and then there's the real Don Cherry, who's a former hockey coach and player, and a lifelong fan of the game.

Cherry wouldn't have survived two years on tv if he didn't go overboard. That's what makes him so controversial, and the coaches corner segment so popular.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post

That may be your opinion but never compare a hofer to an idiot like Vitale
howethegreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
If you're suggesting he's only going after Yakupov because he's Russian, that's... I mean it's your opinion, but it's completely wrong.
Why is it wrong? If it was an Ontario-native or a Sask-native, he would have praised that "young star" for celebrating like his hero (Fleury) or said "look - he's an Ontario-boy blah blah blah.

He lost all credibility during the visor debates back in the day: he rips Russians for wearing visors calling them wussies but then shows segments of how to play safe (for the young hockey players).

You're right - The only reason why he is still around because he is utterly controversial. Nothing more, nothing less.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Why is it wrong? If it was an Ontario-native or a Sask-native, he would have praised that "young star" for celebrating like his hero (Fleury) or said "look - he's an Ontario-boy blah blah blah.

He lost all credibility during the visor debates back in the day: he rips Russians for wearing visors calling them wussies but then shows segments of how to play safe (for the young hockey players).

You're right - The only reason why he is still around because he is utterly controversial. Nothing more, nothing less.
+1000 - like WWE, he is entertaining, not much more, but he is completley prejudice against anything non-Canadien and people should accept it after all these years - take him for what he is worth, an entertainer that at least gives notariety to the game.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
+1000 - like WWE, he is entertaining, not much more, but he is completley prejudice against anything non-Canadien and people should accept it after all these years - take him for what he is worth, an entertainer that at least gives notariety to the game.
+1000 back at ya - definitely gives notariety to the game - and that is important

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

This entire discussion is so ridiculous. The Kings are butthurt over that celebration, Don Cherry is an old crusty fart. So we talk about it from an outside perspective, bottom line if I was to score my first NHL goal to tie the game against the defending Stanley Cup champs as what, an 18 year old, I'd crap my pants and do something way more crazy than what he did. The Kings should'nt have let him score if they were gonna cry about it in the locker room afterward.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

Seriously?

Grapes went after Theo Fleury, the pride of Oxbow, Saskatchewan, for the exact same celebration years ago.

People insult Cherry for the sake of insulting him. He's openly gone after Sidney Crosby and Theo Fleury, amongst other Canadians. Is he pro-Canadian? Absolutely. And should he be revered for it? No. But should the fact he loves his country be used against him? Yes, but not to the extent it has been.

Get the facts right, then come back and see me. Cherry went after a Saskatchewan boy, like you said he never had (or would).

Wanted to add this tidbit of info as well. You seem to think that Cherry only likes Ontario or English Canadian players, yet he's openly gone after Matt Cooke (an Ontario native) and openly supported Vinnie Lecavalier (Quebec boy) and Claude Giroux (Franco-ontarian). You make it sound as though Don Cherry will only support English-Canadians and condemn everyone else.

Last edited by GoJays; 01-29-2013 at 02:46 PM.
GoJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howethegreat View Post
That may be your opinion but never compare a hofer to an idiot like Vitale
...Dick Vitale is also a HOFer

Idiot
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Just to give a bit of background to the yak goal.
He scored his first in the previous game vs the sharks (6-3 loss). He was happy and celebrated normally. In the kings game, the oilers tied the game with 1:00 left, a goal was called on the ice by the official 10 feet from the net. Then the refs huddled together, discussed and themselves overturned the on the ice call as goalie interference. Place went nuts and was hurling stuff on the ice etc etc. that's most of what made the goal huge ( and he batted it out of the air, that was cool). I'd be lying if I said I was quiet at that point on the couch

I'd say the vets reigned him in, as will the kings in the next meeting... All part of the game.

If it was an away rink...... Way different story as
Well.

Last edited by Oilers1980; 01-29-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

I've heard Cherry gush and fawn over Datsyuk and Malkin more than a few times. He's also called David Backes a "good kid" after he mugged someone in front of the goal although he was more than willing to fight anyone who cared to in the ensuing push and shove match.

He can be a homer at times but he's not above complimenting players from other countries.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote