Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86
Default UD Series 2. Good buy?

I bought a case of UD Series 1 and did pretty well and that was without selling sets as quick as I should have and am left with 3 of them.
Are there enough good Young Guns in series 2 to make it a good buy?
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wait for the checklist to be released, it should be any day. Right now the only big rookies I can think of are Jack Skile, Tukka Raask and Jonathan Toews.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll be looking to buy Steve Downie. I would figure he'll be included as well.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe Perron from the Blues as well.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Wait for the checklist to be released, it should be any day. Right now the only big rookies I can think of are Jack Skile, Tukka Raask and Jonathan Toews.
So are you thinking unless they get a few more good Rc's in there it may not be worth it?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Series 2 will lurk in the shadows of Series 1, primary reason being the number of excellent young guns: Kane, Price, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Tobias Enstrom, Niklas Backstrom...

Series 2 will include a number of good yg's, but the above combination is tough to beat. Plus there is the ongoing fear that they will overproduce it, as shown by series 2 in 05/06 and series 1 in 06/07

It will still definitely be a sought after product, just not as good. As well keep in mind when series 1 came out there was no competition. But with series 2, ICE, SPA, SPGU are all right around the corner...
cfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree....the Young Guns are going to be a rough bunch in Series 2, Series One may have had the best collection of Young Guns ever in any of their years.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

05-06 Upper Deck Series 2 had the best rookie collection in years, but they overprinted it. I think it will be a good rip, but we will have a checklist soon, might as well see what is up before you order a lot of this.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
05-06 Upper Deck Series 2 had the best rookie collection in years, but they overprinted it. I think it will be a good rip, but we will have a checklist soon, might as well see what is up before you order a lot of this.

even if it was overprinted. is it safe to say that when a hockey product is overprinted it still isnt as much as what they print for say baseball ?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

it's supply vs. Demand. If something is overprinted, it just means that the supply will now outweigh the demand, so it doesn't really matter by how much, because at a certain point, no one will really want it. And it's really tough to compare Baseball with Hockey.

For example, they print tons of Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft Picks, but there are guys who buy 150 cases at a time. When they get released, the market gets hit with a tidal wave of those products. It almost never runs out, but the demand is so high that box/case prices always go up within 6 months-1 year. Not to say that older boxes are easy to find, but people do hoard unopened cases.

Now with Upper Deck, all we have to do is look at 05/06 Series 2. it's everywhere and it's super cheap...cheaper than when it was first released. This despite the fact that Ovechkin's rookie is contained in that series.

Even though Young Guns are super popular, 99% of them do not retain their initial value or even go up. Once the frenzy of set/player collectors dies down, prices generally fall. Kane and Price rookies are excellent examples of this. Started at 100+, dropped to 75, and now sit at around 50. All this in a matter of 3 months.

Upper Deck is a great product, the Young Guns will always be one of the best rookie series, and nearly everyone praises it. But if you're looking to make a profit, or buy in high volume, be very careful and study the market history before you decide.
cfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfind View Post
it's supply vs. Demand. If something is overprinted, it just means that the supply will now outweigh the demand, so it doesn't really matter by how much, because at a certain point, no one will really want it. And it's really tough to compare Baseball with Hockey.

For example, they print tons of Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft Picks, but there are guys who buy 150 cases at a time. When they get released, the market gets hit with a tidal wave of those products. It almost never runs out, but the demand is so high that box/case prices always go up within 6 months-1 year. Not to say that older boxes are easy to find, but people do hoard unopened cases.

Now with Upper Deck, all we have to do is look at 05/06 Series 2. it's everywhere and it's super cheap...cheaper than when it was first released. This despite the fact that Ovechkin's rookie is contained in that series.

Even though Young Guns are super popular, 99% of them do not retain their initial value or even go up. Once the frenzy of set/player collectors dies down, prices generally fall. Kane and Price rookies are excellent examples of this. Started at 100+, dropped to 75, and now sit at around 50. All this in a matter of 3 months.

Upper Deck is a great product, the Young Guns will always be one of the best rookie series, and nearly everyone praises it. But if you're looking to make a profit, or buy in high volume, be very careful and study the market history before you decide.

Well said Cfind - when it comes to Series One and Series Two, if you get your case listed a day or two after release date, kiss your butt goodbye.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

I gotta think that Series 2 will be decent with the rookie threads, victory updates and the new Young Guns. Unless they overprint it, the product should be decent. Think of it like last year's set where Malkin was the only big rookie. That product still does well, and so should this with Toews.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Corey Locke, Andrew Cogliano, James Sheppard, Jiri Tlusty, Shawn Matthias, Derick Brassard, and I am forgetting many others.

Guys like TJ Hensick, Alex Nikulin and David Clarkson and many others have long-term potential as well.

This is the best RC class since 1990-91.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

wow that is saying something. i thouhgt that 05/06 was the best ?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
wow that is saying something. i thouhgt that 05/06 was the best ?
I think the 03-04 rookie class will be the best one ever, but time will tell. I think this year is better than last year's.

This is the crazy thing. I think Carey Price could be as big a Sidney Crosby in a year or two. I've been screaming (mostly on the other board) about the Montreal Goaltender = Dallas Quarterback and I'm not backing off of that one.

...and Nicklas Backstrom could be the best player in the NHL within 2 years and his rookie is this year too (Sid and Alex fans calm down, I said could be, lets see where the chips fall before we get into a pi$$ing contest).
Old 01-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I think the 03-04 rookie class will be the best one ever, but time will tell. I think this year is better than last year's.

This is the crazy thing. I think Carey Price could be as big a Sidney Crosby in a year or two. I've been screaming (mostly on the other board) about the Montreal Goaltender = Dallas Quarterback and I'm not backing off of that one.

...and Nicklas Backstrom could be the best player in the NHL within 2 years and his rookie is this year too (Sid and Alex fans calm down, I said could be, lets see where the chips fall before we get into a pi$$ing contest).
I just hope I can make some better decisions this yr than last. I got killed on my 2 choices from the Cup (Radulov,Kessel) and don't know if I will ever recover.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Kane is nearly as offensively gifted as Crysby is. Backstrom's a stud. Toews, we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg with him. Hensick's going to turn some heads when he gets acclimated to the NHL. Schremp, Price, Sheppard, Jack Johnson, MFing Johnson, Enstrom, Mueller, Little, Bernier, Ryan, Bergfors, Foligno, Tlusty, Cogliano, Locke, Brassard, Matthias, the list goes on and on.

Best since 1990 at the very least.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan86 View Post
I just hope I can make some better decisions this yr than last. I got killed on my 2 choices from the Cup (Radulov,Kessel) and don't know if I will ever recover.
Radulov is Russian, and Kessel is American. The Canadiacs won't ever give them the respect they deserve.

But you picked two excellent players that will have VERY strong followings as their careers go on. I'd be surprised if you don't end up making money on them.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan86 View Post
I second the Rabbit on this one. Radulov is an incredible player and Phil Kessel has a chance to be the big American superstar.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I second the Rabbit on this one. Radulov is an incredible player and Phil Kessel has a chance to be the big American superstar.
My only problem is that I do not have the patience to hold them. I hate selling for a big lose but need to move them soon to work on other projects.
I have a 3 CLR and a 1 CLR Radulov Patch Auto /99, and 2- 3 CLR Rainbow /81 and 2 -1 CLR and 1- 3 CLR Patch Auto Phill Kessel Cup Rcs.
They are only worth about $2000 right now but I may move them soon.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

Radulov will never have any value from this point out. If he didn't have any value as a rookie, why would you think he would now? He may turn out to be a great player, but like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and other Russians, their card values will never mimmick their performance on the ice.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Radulov will never have any value from this point out. If he didn't have any value as a rookie, why would you think he would now? He may turn out to be a great player, but like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and other Russians, their card values will never mimmick their performance on the ice.
Ovechkin plays for the Caps, who have not been a playoff team, and play in the South (basically). Kovalchuk plays for the Thrashers, who have not been a playoff team, and they play in the South.

If any of them were to play for the Wings or any Canadian team in their primes, their cards would shoot through the roof.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Ovechkin plays for the Caps, who have not been a playoff team, and play in the South (basically). Kovalchuk plays for the Thrashers, who have not been a playoff team, and they play in the South.

If any of them were to play for the Wings or any Canadian team in their primes, their cards would shoot through the roof.

Datsyuk is having a great season and has been a great player all his career and his cards aren't worth crap. Same with Zetterberg and Holmstrom....any time I sell any of their cards, guaranteed they are going to Sweden and not Detroit. You can talk about those guys being on Detroit or Montreal, but the fact is they are not.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Datsyuk is having a great season and has been a great player all his career and his cards aren't worth crap. Same with Zetterberg and Holmstrom....any time I sell any of their cards, guaranteed they are going to Sweden and not Detroit. You can talk about those guys being on Detroit or Montreal, but the fact is they are not.
Why the anger?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Why the assumption that I was angry saying that?