Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What Products do you bust and WHY?

I'm slowly, well...rapidly getting out of Football cards, and am considering joining the hockey world! Now that I moved from Florida to Colorado, I can see getting into Hockey and the Avalanche! I can also see my wife enjoying some Hockey Games. I've been stalking around the Hockey Forums looking at breaks and people's PC's and really like how well the Hockey cards look.

So, what products do you break, and why do you like those products?

Hockey wise, I have broken 3 products:

2011/12 Panini Contenders Hockey Hobby Box
I enjoyed Contenders, but it reminded me of too many Panini Football Products, that have turned me off from Football Products.

2011/12 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Hockey Hobby Box
I enjoyed Ultimate...I didn't do too well, but I always enjoy the smaller breaks, less packs, less base, but still enjoyable.

2011/12 In The Game ITG Heroes and Prospects Hockey Box
I really did enjoy the ITG break. I see they have a lot of products, ranging in different price ranges and such. What do you all think of IGT, why do you like/unlike it?

I've been considering doing a bigger product: The Cup, ITG Ultimate, Panini Prime, Panini Dominion...thoughts?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

i do not bust any thing i have not busted a box of a current year in like 6=7 years oh i love to crack wax but i just can't afford it so i just pick up singles
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

1) The CUP- the best of the best, on-card autos, clean design, the best players- everything you love about upper deck at it's finest.

2) Sp authentic- always a fun break with clean looking cards.

3) Ultimate- i'm like you, I don't like too much bulk, and in hockey, you have to stick with upper deck.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Odd year to jump in with the no-rookie crop but at least you'll get your feet wet prior to the double rookie crop of 13/14 next year.

1) Avoid Panini; just like you said in football, check the box prices of the past two years, some of the boxes are more than 50% slashed.

2) UD maintains the sig rights on Gretzky and Orr so there's your main hope of landing those two. UD Ultimate last year had good shots at Orr.

3) ITG continues to make really cool hockey sets and IMHO puts their heart into hockey more than the other guys. I busted the master case group break of History of Hockey and boxes (4 cards slabbed) are easy to open and really great art cards. At the new reduced price, it seems even better. Superlative also did a really nice job this year.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I would say The Cup is the best. Every card in my pc is a Cup card. I don't care for Panini at all. Never have. Upper Deck series 1 and 2 is decent (except this year) because the rookies are sp'd and they tend to hold their value. Boxes aren't expensive and some of the inserts sell well. I usually buy one box from each series every year just for fun. If I pull a top rookie then great, if not oh well. There are enough people who build these sets every year so it's pretty easy to get rid of.

The Cup is expensive and it's definitely high risk but it sure is fun to open. If you can afford it, buy a single tin and see for yourself.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Odd year to jump in with the no-rookie crop but at least you'll get your feet wet prior to the double rookie crop of 13/14 next year.

1) Avoid Panini; just like you said in football, check the box prices of the past two years, some of the boxes are more than 50% slashed.

2) UD maintains the sig rights on Gretzky and Orr so there's your main hope of landing those two. UD Ultimate last year had good shots at Orr.

3) ITG continues to make really cool hockey sets and IMHO puts their heart into hockey more than the other guys. I busted the master case group break of History of Hockey and boxes (4 cards slabbed) are easy to open and really great art cards. At the new reduced price, it seems even better. Superlative also did a really nice job this year.
Thanks, I was worried Panini does the same thing in nearly ever sport they are part of, they are really what have been turning me off from cards with their weekly releases full of 'junk'. I did notice the huge price cuts in some Panini Cases from 2011/12, and that had me worried.

I think I will most likely stick with UD and bust some random ITG boxes here and there, I might look into History of hockey breaks as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I havent busted any Dominion on my own, just a few box breaks on ebay. I did have pretty good luck with Prime tho. Last week I got a 1/2 Captain Patch of Mikko Koivu.