Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Karlsson helped off the ice

Uh-Oh Ottawa.....that did not look very good at all.

Hope it's not too severe, lots of talent with that kid.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks like a severe ankle injury, not sure if he was cut along with a high sprain possibly.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Injury didn't look good at all.

Can't believe some people saying Cooke did this on purpose. How do you plan to cut someone with your skate?

Oh well. Was looking forward to seeing him get run over by Fraser or Orr Saturday night . Looks like Ottawa will be in the Nathan MacKinnon sweepstakes, if this injury is as serious as it looks.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feel really bad for the guy that looked extremely painful, im kind of happy i just sold off some high end stuff of his.
RBKSNIPZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Said on SC that it cut his achilles? Maybe it ruptured it, but they did say he'd need surgery. Hate that for the guy.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sliced achilles...I tore mine and it was a bitch to come back from. Here's hoping all goes well for him.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Injury didn't look good at all.

Can't believe some people saying Cooke did this on purpose. How do you plan to cut someone with your skate?

Oh well. Was looking forward to seeing him get run over by Fraser or Orr Saturday night . Looks like Ottawa will be in the Nathan MacKinnon sweepstakes, if this injury is as serious as it looks.
Not sure if Cooke did it on purpose, but it was reckless which fits him well. I'm not sure why he raised his leg up like he did on the hit, that's not a hockey hit. And it's Cooke so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt;

So now Cooke has knocked out both Markov and Karlsson for extended periods.....head up Toronto D-men.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Not sure if Cooke did it on purpose, but it was reckless which fits him well. I'm not sure why he raised his leg up like he did on the hit, that's not a hockey hit. And it's Cooke so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt;

So now Cooke has knocked out both Markov and Karlsson for extended periods.....head up Toronto D-men.
I'm inclined to give Cooke a pass on this one, just because it seems near impossible to plan out an injury like that in one of the fastest games in the world. Like you said, though, it certainly fits Cooke's reputation well, and it really wouldn't shock me if he did do it on purpose. His left leg had no business being in the air like it was.

Given the past couple of Leaf games, I have a feeling if Cooke took a run at a Leaf defender he'd be leaving the ice on a stretcher .
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

That looked incredibly deliberate. Why in the world would his foot be up in the air like that if he had no intention of bringing it down on Karlsson?

We'll never know for sure though...
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

it looks on purpose to me. I see no clear reason for why he would have had to lift his leg like that.
avjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
I'm inclined to give Cooke a pass on this one, just because it seems near impossible to plan out an injury like that in one of the fastest games in the world. Like you said, though, it certainly fits Cooke's reputation well, and it really wouldn't shock me if he did do it on purpose. His left leg had no business being in the air like it was.

Given the past couple of Leaf games, I have a feeling if Cooke took a run at a Leaf defender he'd be leaving the ice on a stretcher .
If it was intentional, he wasn't trying to cut his achilles. No one plans that out. If it was intentional he was probably just trying to kick him on the calf where there was no padding or kick his skate.

That's the problem with Cooke, he's not out there trying to put people out of the game specificaly, but it ends up happening. It's the result of continued cheap and dirty shots, even if your intent isn't to end someone's season or career.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
If it was intentional, he wasn't trying to cut his achilles. No one plans that out. If it was intentional he was probably just trying to kick him on the calf where there was no padding or kick his skate.

That's the problem with Cooke, he's not out there trying to put people out of the game specificaly, but it ends up happening. It's the result of continued cheap and dirty shots, even if your intent isn't to end someone's season or career.
I'm sorry but you would have to be the ultimate Pittsburgh homer to believe that...
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Now I'm from Pittsburgh, but not a hockey fan lol so my opinion is semi unbiased

He is known for big hits and some dirty plays but intentionally slicing a players Achilles tendon? C'mon guys. It's easy to say it since he doesn't have a good reputation, but that is pretty intense to say he did this on purpose.

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to say this was intentional, were not talking about taking someone out of the game with a cross check into the boards, it's doing something that could put a guy out for the season and realistically alter the future of this guys career.

Check out my eBay store for great cards at great prices! Everything set OBO!
HOFcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Cooke is the master of the "accidental" cheap shot.

I doubt he meant for the end results but I do question his motive of going in with his leg lifted like that. Maybe he was going for the slewfoot. Things just don't add up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFcollector View Post
Now I'm from Pittsburgh, but not a hockey fan lol so my opinion is semi unbiased

He is known for big hits and some dirty plays but intentionally slicing a players Achilles tendon? C'mon guys. It's easy to say it since he doesn't have a good reputation, but that is pretty intense to say he did this on purpose.

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to say this was intentional, were not talking about taking someone out of the game with a cross check into the boards, it's doing something that could put a guy out for the season and realistically alter the future of this guys career.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I'm sorry but you would have to be the ultimate Pittsburgh homer to believe that...
I don't like the Penguins and hate Matt Cooke.

By "out of the game" I don't mean the single game. I mean their career. If you think he goes out there every night intending to end someone's career, well I'd say you're the ultimate Boston homer. At the very least he knows he's under heavy scrutiny and will be out of hockey himself if he causes a few more serious injuries.

Like I said, he's loves the cheap shots and the rate at which he does them it's no wonder people get hurt. That's bad enough. Why does he have to be an archvillain rather than just a dirtbag?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBKSNIPZ View Post
Feel really bad for the guy that looked extremely painful, im kind of happy i just sold off some high end stuff of his.
^^^^^^^

They weren't moving very fast when it happened and Cooke does lift his leg up and then drive his skate down on the leg. Looks intentional to me.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't know what happened. But let me say this - while Cooke gets the benefit of the doubt from people saying he would never intentionally inflict such an injury, I can hear Karlsson getting his real-estate license.
Either way, this is a tragedy...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFcollector View Post

It is possible to intentionally stomp on someone's foot without intentionally severing their achilles' tendon, though.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

The game of hockey is played, amazingly enough with big guys on skates.. with sharpened blades on their feet.
If you are a chef, you learn to hold a knife and use it with dexterity to not hurt yourself. From a very young age when you put blades on someone feet... you realize.. damn! I could really hurt someone if this blade on my foot was to cut them.
Thousands of games played every year... and amazingly the majority of them where skates cutting info flesh does not happen... a miracle you say or maybe its because of something called human respect. When you go into the corner and your skates are raised - you turn your ankle out away from the person or skate blade away from who you might be in contact with. Thats all Cooke had to do here. When he raised his foot to the left since he wanted to pull up his leg to get wider coverage on the check he just had to turn his ankle ever so slightly so that it was at this angle / bottom away from Karlsson. Instead he turned the foot this way- inward \ bottom of skate into the player. Because you are a skater who has done this for so many years you know what to do to keep the contact safe from those blades. You also know when you are deliberately slewfooting some one.
If you break it down.. and think of what every other player would do and avoid the skate blade contact with a simple ankle turn out.. and he turned it in... without a doubt - he knows what he was doing. He maybe did not expect this result but a hockey coach I know who has been in the game for 50+ years said right away.. thats a dirty deliberate shot. anyone who says otherwise... hey you're a rookie... get back on the bench and shudup

Last edited by Hardcore; 02-14-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post

What the #@#@#@#@ do you think he's doing with all the cheap shots, he is most definitely intentionally trying to put players out of the game, he is and always will be a 'piece of #@#@#@#@'. You really believe after all the obvious elbows, cross checks & blatant disregard for the etiquette of the game that his actions are not intentional.

He didn't even have the balls to drop the gloves last night when challenged by Neil further proving he's a cheap shot pussy!!

I'm a Boston 'Homer' and still pissed that this scumbag ended Marc Savard's career with as you put it 'the result of a continued cheap and dirty shot'

Last edited by TASS; 02-14-2013 at 08:40 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

This is what happens to that cheap shot artist when he does go toe to toe with anyone, he needs to sit, for a very long time for this.

Army19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Melnyk RIPPED into Cooke today on the radio. Wow, he slammed the guy.

Check it out if you haven't heard it. Worth listening to.