Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default George Laraque Just Nailed Downie

At the end of the 2nd period tonight, George Laraque hit Steve Downie from behind and Steve Downie's head smahed right into the lower boards. George Laraque received a major penalty and a game misconduct (automatically qualifies for a suspensiuon,fine, or both! However, Steve Downie did not receive any medical assistance and amazingly walked himself to the dressing room! If the Flyers don't score on this power play it will be pathetic for the No 1 power play team in the NHL ! I hope he can come back soon, since he his a budding power foward ( Bobby Clarke image) how has a Sean Avery type edge to his game. Any thoughts. It was a dirty hit. I know others in Ottawa and on the board will think he that he deserves it, but it was clearly uncalled for. He already paid a hefty price including a possible end to his career if he were not a first round pick or a favorite of Bobby Clarke (Steve Downie sat with Downie in the GM's box and even illegally practiced with the Flyers when he was serving a suspension in major junior). Sorry for the long read.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dirty hit or not, you get what you give. Downie's original hit that got him 20 games was far more severe that what Laraque did. Did you happen to see Riley Cote get used as a punching bag by Big George? :-)
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Steve Downie came back for the third period and fought Ryan Stone. He also received a 10 minute misconduct for not tying down his shirt. I knew right away Laraque was overpowering for Cote, but Cote has taken on every heavyweight in the game this year. Remember, he is a rookie fighting a veteran player after all.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like Downie alot but I hope he doesn't cheapen himself like a Ruutu type because he has alot of skill as well. Hartnell, RIchards and Downie are a pretty good line that can grind it out or score some pretty goals as well.

Laraque's hit was cheap but I figured it was coming after all the crying Coach Shelly did after the last game. I'm sure he'll have something to cry about after this one as well.

Still trying to figure out how the Pens 3rd goal counted as nobody touched Staal and he basiclly boxed out Biron from half of the net. How 2 refs miss that is ridiculous.....probably why they nailed Malone at the end of the game for hooking. Just like last year the refs are deciding too many games. Ridiculous.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

BTW - losing to Laraque is nothing to be ashamed about, its not like Laraque is some pug out there. I thought it was great that Cote pounded McGratton the other night after all the payback talk he was doing leading up to the game. Looks like the Flyers own the Pens this year. Its like old times.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

... and then people wonder why guys like Chris Simon snap. How much dirty play does one team (Pittsburgh) have to do (and I'm talking about you Jarkko Ruutu and Georges Laraque) before someone else snaps.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah...and the Flyers are the cleanest team in the NHL. They have such a good reputation for being a clean, don't take cheapshots style of team. They're such professionals out on the ice year in and year out.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Yeah...and the Flyers are the cleanest team in the NHL. They have such a good reputation for being a clean, don't take cheapshots style of team. They're such professionals out on the ice year in and year out.
I am talking about the dirty play of Pittsburgh. We know Philadelphia has had its share of goonery, I'm just ticked that a guy like Chris Simon loses his mind because the NHL won't take this stuff seriously and now he is branded a dirty player when the real dirty players aren't suspended.

No, you can't swing your stick or step on a guy's ankle with a skate, but you can't tell me that dirty, uncalled (referees favoring Pittsburgh) plays by those two didn't contribute to Simon's meltdown.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chris Simon is an unstable loon-job, that's what contributed to his meltdown.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jaarko Ruutu was known in Vancouver for chirping and chickening out of fights after getting the opposing player to take his gloves off. Right now, he is continuing his antics, which don't belong in the league. If you are going to challenge a player, then you should fight the other player for sportsmanship. Jaako Ruutu shows very little sportmenship on the ice. He is the reason why guys like Jarome Iginla went nuts in the Western Conference and why Chris Simon's career is over.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'll say it again...the reason that Chris Simon's career is over is not because of Jarkko Ruutu, it's because he's unstable. He makes Link Gaetz look normal.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've been saying for awhile now that the problem with the league is not and has never been the fighting. The problem is the pests like Ruutu that go around sticking people, finishing their checks with a glove wash to the face or an elbow here and there. They get caught sometimes but get away with it alot more. There is no way anyone can convince me that Simon did what he did to Ruutu for no reason. I've heard guys like Dale Hunter say they were just trying to get people off their game or draw a penalty but IMO it just makes you look cheap. Thats why I said I hope a kid like Downie doesn't take away from his game because he has obvious skills by playing the fool.
The two things that drive me nuts in hockey are :
1.)The guys that are legit fighters that pad their record so to speak by going after the Pelle Eklunds of the league. Tie Domi was the all-time great for doing this. I think Sean Avery is king of that today.

2.)The phoney tough cheap shotting pests of the past like Acton, Jones, Dale Hunter, Barnaby, Ulfie, Ulanov, Sandstrom and Fleury and present like Ruutu, Avery, Tucker, Boulirice and Holmstrom. The guys that will stick you then somehow find a way to get a linesmen or teammates in front of them before you can pound them.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Laraque will not be disciplined by the league for his cheap shot on Downie. Give me a friggin break ! Talk about a double standard with Colin Campbell. Switch places and Downie would be getting a seat in the press boxes for a few games at least for a boarding from behind hit like that. I'm not saying it was a viscious hit but it was cheap and dangerous because it sent Downie head first into the boards. If your Campbell and your gonna send a message that hits from behind won't be tolerated than you can't let this go without a few games for Laraque.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Colin Campbell has been extremely inconsistent with his suspensions and fines this year. One I know is Mattias Ohlund. He should have been suspended at least 25 games. He retaliated from a hit (some type of cheap shot from Mikko Koivu) and slashes Miikou Koivu as if he is swinging a baseball bat. Mattias Ohlund only receive four games from breaking and fracturing Miiko Koivu's fibula. Miiko Koivu misses 25 games from the incident. That is the same kind of cheap shot that Jesse Boulerice pulled on Ryan Kelser. Ryan Kelser was partially responsible for it for consistently exchaning face washes, hooks, and othwer rough stuff with Boulerice. Boulerice does not cause an injury to Kelser, but still receives 25 games for his actions. Other hits to head just one level below Downie's hit on McAmmond have been observed by Campbell, but only a few have been given at least one game for a suspension.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Laraque will not be disciplined by the league for his cheap shot on Downie. Give me a friggin break ! Talk about a double standard with Colin Campbell. Switch places and Downie would be getting a seat in the press boxes for a few games at least for a boarding from behind hit like that. I'm not saying it was a viscious hit but it was cheap and dangerous because it sent Downie head first into the boards. If your Campbell and your gonna send a message that hits from behind won't be tolerated than you can't let this go without a few games for Laraque.
I doubt anyone on Pittsburgh will get suspended for anything. They are league's golden ticket right now. I guess good ole Colin doesn't think Steve Downie's health is as important as other players. Watch someone else melt-down, Chris Simon will not be the last to go ape-sh!t over this kind of nonsense.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

fyi

ruutu hit kovalchuk knee to knee tonight sending him out of the game. ilya tried to play on one pp shift after the hit and then went straight to the locker room.