Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #276 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Haha, yeah. I was thinking that going into posting here.

Seriously, though, not even the most staunch Penguins fan can support a guy like Cooke.
All in good fun, man. I don't mind some friendly ribbing.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #277 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
All in good fun, man. I don't mind some friendly ribbing.
Well, in that case....

Kiddin .

I'll get you later .
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #278 (permalink)

Quote:

Seriously, though, not even the most staunch Penguins fan can support a guy like Cooke.
Nothing wrong with Matt Cooke. He's a good, hard working player. The hit on Karlsson was totally clean and that was Ottawa making the big deal about it. People need to lighten up about Cooke.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #279 (permalink)

Quote:

Cooke has changed. I know people around the league don't believe that, but watching him every game, he really has. If it had been, say, Pascal Dupuis that cut Karlsson's tendon, no one would be saying a word, but because it was Cooke, everyone assumes the worst. I get that though - after the McDonough and Savard cheap shots, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt. If I was a fan of another team, I'd probably feel the same way. But since the McDonough hit he's really changed his game. I don't know if he did it on his own or if he got marching orders from Mario, but I know management was livid after that hit. You have Lemieux talking about getting head shots out of the game and here's Cooke concussing McDonough with a cheap shot.

The one thing I didn't like was Cooke not answering the bell against Neil. He should have just dropped the gloves, taken his beating and been done with it. But there's a silver lining for the Pens in him not doing that - if the Pens DO play Ottawa in the first round and the whole EK issue is still lingering, the Sens will be more worried about killing Cooke than about winning the series, and if that happens the Pens will sweep them.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #280 (permalink)

Pretty solid game by the Pens last night. Man, another great game by Vokoun. If you were to take away his stats from let's 2 of 4 atrocious games, he'd be right at the top. He's definately been a huge pickup, and MAF has been able to stay fresh. Kind of sucks that the team has to worry about the starting goalie playing too much, as you figure he'd be able to get himself in good enough shape, but whatever. I HOPE this means MAF is fresh enough to perform well in the playoffs. On a side note, I'm worried that the birth of MAF's first child (congrats, by the way) will mess with his mind, and he won't be mentally "all there" during the playoffs. We all know that while Fleury is a great goalie when he gets in a rythym, he is NOT metally tough. I hope this doesn't happen.

As far as the game goes, pretty solid all around. Justin Deffrey comes out of nowehere and has a solid game. Morrow continues to be hot, and while the team was outshot, they didn't allow a whole lot of good chances other than in the 1st period on the PK. And the PK was solid, by the way. They need to have 3 more good PKing games leading into the playoffs. I was really hoping to see someone be man enough to fight MacIntyre, but I knew that wouldn't happen.

As far as my opinion on Cooke goes, I agree that he's a changed player. He's still an agitator and somewhat of a turtle, but there are plenty of those. I don't like how he or anyone for that matter pulls the turtle crap, but it is what it is. I do believe all his past suspensions were warranted, and he should have been suspended more in the past. I will never defend his past cheap shots. But yes, he's a changed player. I would have preferred he man up and fight Neil, but like rippit said, if the Pens get Ottawa in the 1st round (which is looking like it's certainly possible), SOME of the guys may still be focused on Cooke. If that's the case, I don't neccessarilly think it'll be a sweep, but it will certainly make for more PP chances for Pittsburgh.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #281 (permalink)

Being a Bruins' Fan as you all know, I will never have any respect for Cooke after the Savard hit which unfortunately finished his career!

I'm also not buying into the 'he's changed' conspiracy, there's an old saying that I feel applies here and that's 'A lepoard never changes his spots'.

And it's a shame that he has blemished his career with these blatant cheap hit's, as he's not a bad player and one of those guy's that you want on your side, furthermore when you are known around the league for being 'one of those guy's' have the balls to deal with what comes with the turf and drop the gloves when called out!!

Last edited by TASS; 04-23-2013 at 06:41 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #282 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Being a Bruins' Fan as you all know, I will never have any respect for Cooke after the Savard hit which unfortunately finished his career!

I'm also not buying into the 'he's changed' conspiracy, there's an old saying that I feel applies here and that's 'A lepoard never changes his spots'.

And it's a shame that he has blemished his career with these blatant cheap hit's, as he's not a bad player and one of those guy's that you want on your side, furthermore when you are known around the league for being 'one of those guy's' have the balls to deal with what comes with the turf and drop the gloves when called out!!
I don't blame you - I'd feel the same way about it if the situation was reversed. Between the Savard injury and the Neely injury (back in the day), I'm surprised there's not more hatred between the Broons and the Pens. Probably because they haven't met in the playoffs for a loooooong time.

On to other thoughts. Game last night was a strange game - virtually no hitting and not much intensity, but a lot of skating and a pretty good tempo. You could tell that neither team really seemed to care. Don't know how badly Orpik is hurt - that could be a bit of a problem. Neal and Martin seem ready to come back at any time, and I think Sid (timetable or not) won't be far behind. I'd like to see him get a couple of games (or at least one) in before the playoffs, but it's not like he has to adjust to new linemates, assuming they keep him with Kunitz and Dupuis.

And FINALLY - the one potentially major development, and I never thought I'd see it - TK WAS A HEALTHY SCRATCH!!! Does Disco finally see what the rest of the world has been seeing for months, if not longer? Please let it be true!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #283 (permalink)

The Pens are a jinxed team.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #284 (permalink)

Dave Molinari is reporting that Crosby will seek medical clearance this wee to resume playing. If he gets clearance he'll be in the lineup for game 1 of the playoffs.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #285 (permalink)

Quote:
Its the same way Penguins fans feel against Adam Graves. I met him a few times and he is a very nice guy. I couldn't shake his hand knowing what he did to Mario.

Last edited by crabbygraphs; 04-25-2013 at 12:06 PM.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #286 (permalink)

Quote:

I understand, and would probably feel the same way if I were a B's fan. Though I do feel he's a changed player, I agree with hit to Savard was malicious, violent, and warranted a suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Dave Molinari is reporting that Crosby will seek medical clearance this wee to resume playing. If he gets clearance he'll be in the lineup for game 1 of the playoffs.
You're my boy rippit, but I'll believe it when I see him actually on the ice during a game!

As far as the game Tuesday vs Buffalo, pleh. A rather meaningless game, but would have liked to seen a better effort through 2 periods. The first period they were too damn pretty, trying to tic-tac-toe everything, instead of firing their chances. They absolutely peppered Miller in the 3rd, and he was outstanding. The winning goal can be solely based on Justin Deffrey, as he played stupid and selfish hockey when instead of getting the puck deep and changing, he tries to stick handle around 3 people (after a long shift, mind you). That's why you've been a healthy scratch most of the year, dumbass. On a much more positive note, I though Malkin looked pretty good, especially with the puck. As has been the case this year, I'd like to see him shoot more, but he looked good!

A big game IMO vs NJD tonight. Owe them for the back-to-back spankings they gave us earlier in the year. Again, they're meaningless games from a standings/matchup standpoint, but you really need to be playing well heading into the playoffs. I think a couple of players have actually talked about these last 2 games being very important. Go Pens!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #287 (permalink)

So uh, another lackadaisical effort last night. At least Tuesday vs Buffalo the team played well offensively, and were thwarted by an outstanding effort by Ryan Miller. Last night though, I can't think of anything positive. I realize that from a statistical/matchup standpoint, the game was meaningless. But DB and several players have said in interviews that you can't simply turn the switch off then turn it back on for the playoffs. They've certainly had it off the last 2 games, other than the 3rd period vs Buffalo. DB also spoke about not getting into bad habits, which is EXACTLY what the team has done. Way too many cross-crease passes allowed, allowing opposing players to camp out in front of the net, and last but certainly not least, MAF reverting back to his 3-or-more rule. I'd theorized his head might not be completely with hockey, as his wife is due to pop any day now. I can understand that, but I really hope he can get his head on straight for the playoffs. I'll be livid if he has another atrocious playoff. And I truly hope that if he starts to suck, DB immediately switches to Voukoun.

Pens need to have a solid game tommorrow vs the Canes. If not, I'll be even more uneasy about their playoff chances.

On a MUCH more positive note, Sid has been cleared to practice, so hopefully we'll see him back for Game 1!!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #288 (permalink)

Well they lost their second in a row again, so how long is the next winning streak going to be? 15 games? 7 games? 17? 17 would be a nice number, starting tomorrow.

They're making me a little nervous right now - I'm seeing some things over the past few games that I'm not liking. (I know the games are meaningless and all, but still):

-They have been outshot three of the past four games by wide margins (40-24 against Boston, 35-24 against Ottawa and 32-18 last night). Even in the Buffalo game they gave up 33 shots (they got 42 themselves in that game of pond hockey). That won't cut it in the playoffs.

-7 GA in the last 2 games. Fleury's wife better pop out little Estelle before the playoffs start.

-A LOT of turnovers in the neutral zone and the defensive zone. This has been a recurring theme starting with the Montreal game.

-They blew a 2-0 lead. That's never a good thing whether the game is meaningless or not.

-The biggest concern - Malkin is clearly not the same player as he was last year, and it's also clear the problem is his shoulder. He doesn't have that big cannon of a one-timer (he admits this himself). There were a couple of plays last night where a shot was clearly the right play. On one he passed, on the other he tried to deke Hedberg instead of letting it rip. It's obvious this is going to linger throughout the playoffs, which means he won't be the weapon he's been on the power play (the power play discussion would be a whole post in and of itself). Whatever is wrong with the shoulder, I hope it can be corrected by surgery in the offseason - if it can't, they better think long and hard about giving him a huge contract.

The one positive is that the team was supposedly seething about the way they played. They should be. If they don't come out breathing fire against the Canes and blow them off the ice, then there could be real cause for concern.

Oh, and one other positive - they have a better record against playoff teams (23-4) then they do against non-playoff teams (12-8). Go figure.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #289 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, and one other positive - they have a better record against playoff teams (23-4) then they do against non-playoff teams (12-8). Go figure.
Yeah, I really don't get that. I mean, I do, as they obviously play down to their competition, but why?

I'm just really hoping that the team starts busting ass again, and they can't wait for Game 1 next week. They need to do that tommorrow vs Carolina.

People can cry (I know you're with me, rippit) and call me a pessimist, bandwagon fan, fairweather fan, whatever. I just know from experience as a Pens fan, that nothing is guaranteed. Look at the long ass winning streaks this team has had in the regular season in recent years, and where has it gotten them in the playoffs? Last year they finished off the season by playing awful defense the last 1/4 of the season. Where did it get them in the playoffs? Not to mention Fleury's play the last 2 games. Thankfully, if his wife does not pop by Saturday, labor will be induced (it's in some Trib article), hopefully getting that off his mind. Obviously I'm not saying "forget about your baby" for the playoffs, but at least he doesn't have to be concerned with the actual birth.

Not writing the team off after 2 meaningless losses from a standings point obviously, I'm just a little uneasy.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #290 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
People can cry (I know you're with me, rippit) and call me a pessimist, bandwagon fan, fairweather fan, whatever. I just know from experience as a Pens fan, that nothing is guaranteed.
Exactly. I learned that lesson last year (I should have known better since I've been following this team since 1979-80) - before last year's playoffs even started I was already getting excited about going to my first Stanley Cup Finals game (I've been to every other round). This year, I guess you could say I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm definitely not penciling them into the finals. Or even into the second round.

There's one other thing that worries me that I forgot to mention in my last post: anything less than at least a Finals appearance is unacceptable. The fans know it, the players know it, the coaches know it, and management knows it. This team was built to win the Cup, period. They're expected to win. That's a LOT of pressure. If, God forbid, they lose game 1 in the first round (or even worse, both games 1 and 2), the pressure is going to be doubled or tripled. Players might start squeezing their sticks a little tighter, start playing uptight, start making mistakes. The fans and media will turn on them.

Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself imagining these scenarios. Your pessimism is rubbing off on me!!! LOL j/k
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #291 (permalink)

Quote:
Your pessimism is rubbing off on me!!! LOL j/k

You see the light .
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #292 (permalink)

Would've had the Isles in the first round had they lost in regulation. Picked up a point in the shoot out, now one ahead of NYR, who play NJD tomorrow. If the NYR win in any fashion, they'll finish higher than NYI. Will be interesting and exciting to see how the last 2 days of the regular season play out.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #293 (permalink)

Quote:
Would've had the Isles in the first round had they lost in regulation. Picked up a point in the shoot out, now one ahead of NYR, who play NJD tomorrow. If the NYR win in any fashion, they'll finish higher than NYI. Will be interesting and exciting to see how the last 2 days of the regular season play out.
I'm watching the west too - I SO hope Columbus makes it in ahead of the Red Wings.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #294 (permalink)

Assuming the Rangers and Ottawa win today, they would send the Islanders to the #8 seed which could evoke the ghost of David Volek for the first round against the Pens!

I do not have a good feeling about the first round.....
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #295 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Assuming the Rangers and Ottawa win today, they would send the Islanders to the #8 seed which could evoke the ghost of David Volek for the first round against the Pens!

Pens don't have a very good history against the Isles in the playoffs. I don't think they've ever won a playoff series against them.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #296 (permalink)

Quote:

Maybe Dale Hunter can come out of retirement and separate John Taveres's shoulder - although that didn't work out so well when he did it to Turgeon.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #297 (permalink)

Quote:

With MAF returning to form you should be!!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #298 (permalink)

Quote:
With MAF returning to form you should be!!
He's distracted because his wife is about to pop one out. If she doesn't have it today they better induce.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #299 (permalink)

Quote:
He's distracted because his wife is about to pop one out. If she doesn't have it today they better induce.
Just busting Solt's balls, the comment was for his eye's mainly!! I'm sure MAF will be fine if the guy's out front do their job and clear rebounds etc, these playoff matchups will not be decided untill Sun. a pretty crazy ending to this short season.

As far as the baby situation it will still be somewhat of a distraction when the team has to travel, as it's his 1st and there will be seperation anxiety to deal with even after the childs birth. It will just be a different type of distraction IMO, and you want your Goalie totally 'dialed in' this time of year, would not be surprised if they use Vokoun at one point during round 1!

Last edited by TASS; 04-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #300 (permalink)

Quote:
Just busting Solt's balls, the comment was for his eye's mainly!!
I kinda figured that - I take it you two aren't on each other's Christmas card list? lol