Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #301 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
I kinda figured that - I take it you two aren't on each other's Christmas card list? lol
No, but Matt Cooke is certainly on his.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #302 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
No, but Matt Cooke is certainly on his.
LMFAO, yea he's right before you on my list ,

Touche you got me on this one!

Last edited by TASS; 04-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #303 (permalink)

With the way the team has played the past 2 games (especially Fleury), I'm uneasy. I've already posted my theory on MAF, so won't spend time doing it again.

On the plus side, Martin and Neal will play tonight. Great news. However, with the way this team is with injuries, since they're back, someone else will get hurt. Hope to see Sid back for game 1. Everyone has a boner and thinks he will be, but until it's officially announced, I'm not holding my breath.

If I could choose, I'd pick Ottawa for the first round. Even w/ Karlsson back, I believe the team will struggle to score. Also, I still believe the team wants Cooke's blood, which I'm sure will lead to dumb penalties, just like it did last week. On the negative side, the team is still fired up about Karlsson's injury, and would like nothing better than to knock the Pens out. Also, Anderson is having a great year.

Rags I want to play least because although we've owned them for a while, they've stomped us the passed 2 meetings, including the SO. MAF stole that one. They've been playing very well (yeah they lost to FLA, but we just lost to 2 non-playoff teams), and most dangerously, have a hot goalie. Lundqvist has regained his Vezina form from last year, and that's probably the worst thing you can run into in the playoffs, other than injuries. Also, Tortorella loathes the organization, and would have his boys fired up. On the other hand, how sweet would it be to thump them and send them packing? Tort's rants and whines would be priceless (just my opinion Rangers fans, nothing personal).

NYI I wouldn't mind. Lots of offensive firepower, but I don't have much faith in their D and goaltending. Nabokov is a good goalie, but I don't see him stealing a series. We've also played well against these guys 4 out of the 6 games this season. But as some have said, we don't usually fare well against them in the playoffs. solt, 92-93 is already in my mind as well.

No matter who we play, it will not be easy. Going to be a 6 or 7 game dog fight. I still need to see tonights game and the bits and pieces of other games and think long and hard before I make my predictions.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #304 (permalink)

Quote:
He's distracted because his wife is about to pop one out. If she doesn't have it today they better induce.
Baby came yesterday afternoon, thankfully. Congrats MAF + Veronique. But I hope you can balance PLAYOFF HOCKEY and new poppy-hood.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #305 (permalink)

I'm hoping the Blackhawks win the Cup, but the Pens have to be the favorite. As long as they can integrate the injury returnees with the new acquisitions, they're insanely deep.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #306 (permalink)

Pens blow lead late in 2nd, but respond with an absolutely dominating 3rd period to win 8-3. James Neal with a hat trick and assist in his first game back! Great job, am happy for him. Fleury though, he let in some softies again. Said this before about 10 times, but I hope that DB goes to Vokoun ASAP if MAF starts to blow come playoffs. Which we all know he's prone to. Overall, I'm happy with a game like that to end the regular season.

On a side note, Ottawa lost in regulation. If they pick up a point tomorrow vs Boston (which will we desperate for a win, as they'll need 2 points for the 2nd seed, as w/ their loss to Washington, they're a point behind Montreal, who beat Toronto tonight), we'll get NYI in the first round. If they lose in regulation, we have them first round. Of course, it's gotta come down to the last game!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #307 (permalink)

Good thing Neal got that game in before the playoffs - hopefully he worked off the rust...

If Boston beats Ottawa tonight all the first round matchups will be exactly what I was hoping for - Rags-Caps (already set), Broons-Isles, Pens-Sens and Leafs-Habs. Rags-Caps immediately eliminates one of the hottest teams in the league no matter who wins. Isles are red hot too, and they should at least give the Broons a tough series. Leafs-Habs is two Original 6's who have been down recently (Leafs longer than recently). And the Sens are still acting all cunty about the Karlsson incident (Crosby better keep his head on a swivel when he gets back). So I guess what I'm saying is...

GO BROONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #308 (permalink)

Yep, go B's!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #309 (permalink)

So they open the playoffs against their long-time nemesis. Should be a good series - Pens in 6.

Side note - I love the fact that every Original 6 franchise made the playoffs. Except Detroit - I hate Detroit. (Just the Red Wings, not the entire city).
Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #310 (permalink)

Quote:
So they open the playoffs against their long-time nemesis. Should be a good series - Pens in 6.

Side note - I love the fact that every Original 6 franchise made the playoffs. Except Detroit - I hate Detroit. (Just the Red Wings, not the entire city).
Being that I was in middle school during the mid-late 90's the Red Wings (and the Blackhawks for that matter) will always have a special place in my heart.

Although I still really want to see the Penguins actually win the cup this year, or at the very least make it to the finals.

Anyone care to speculate what the 4th line will be if EVERYONE is finally back healthy?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #311 (permalink)

Orpik and Crosby will most likely be out for the 1st game.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #312 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

Since there is no Isles Thread.... Go Isles!!!

I ship in Bubble Mailers only!! NO PWE!!!
nyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #313 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds433 View Post
Being that I was in middle school during the mid-late 90's the Red Wings (and the Blackhawks for that matter) will always have a special place in my heart.

Although I still really want to see the Penguins actually win the cup this year, or at the very least make it to the finals.

Anyone care to speculate what the 4th line will be if EVERYONE is finally back healthy?
That's the $64,000 question. There are a lot of good combos he could use. My prediction is that it will be Adams-Jokinen-Glass. No way is he going to sit Jokinen - he's been red hot scoring plus an ace on faceoffs. I can't see him sitting Adams either - he's needed on the penalty kill. That leaves one spot open for Vitale/Jeffrey/Glass/Bennett/Kennedy. Vitale couldn't crack the lineup on a regular basis in the regular season, so I can't see him playing in the playoffs - and even though I like him, they're so loaded that someone has to sit. Jeffrey, same thing. Bennett has been playing his ass off, but I doubt Disco will play a rookie in the playoffs unless someone gets hurt.

That brings it down to Glass and Kennedy. Earlier in the year I would have bet the house that it would take an act of Congress to get Kennedy out of the lineup, but he was a healthy scratch last week, so maybe Danny is finally seeing the light. That leaves Glass. No, he doesn't score, but that's not why he's here. We have three other lines that can handle that. 4th lines are energy lines, and Glass was the leading hitter for the team this year. Plus he kills penalties. I'm betting he gets the nod.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #314 (permalink)

Quote:
Orpik and Crosby will most likely be out for the 1st game.
Not sure where you saw that, but the Pens reported that Sid sees the doctor tomorrow and he could be cleared to play in game 1.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #315 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure where you saw that, but the Pens reported that Sid sees the doctor tomorrow and he could be cleared to play in game 1.
Man i really hope they can play game 1!! GO PENS!
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #316 (permalink)

Orpik did not practice today and there is no timetable for suds return.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #317 (permalink)

If Sid gets clearance tomorrow he's in for Weds.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #318 (permalink)

rippit, great minds again think alike! Pens in 6. Still wouldn't be surprised to see something awful happen.

solt, I'm with you on the concern. Can't believe how many people are is convinced that Sid returning for gamd 1 is a given. It's not! Great to see people who look at things logically instead of blind eyed homer-ism. Orpik probably won't play the first few games. Who the hell knows with this damn organization.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #319 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
rippit, great minds again think alike! Pens in 6. Still wouldn't be surprised to see something awful happen.

solt, I'm with you on the concern. Can't believe how many people are is convinced that Sid returning for gamd 1 is a given. It's not! Great to see people who look at things logically instead of blind eyed homer-ism. Orpik probably won't play the first few games. Who the hell knows with this damn organization.
We'll know one way or another tomorrow - I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #320 (permalink)

Quote:
Isles in 7.

This war has been going on for about 10 years now. The heat between Pitt and the NYI is hotter than when Pitt and Philly get together. Somewhere Jason Blake is snickering about the war he helped start.

Glad to see the Isles back in the playoffs. I'm not following them to Brooklyn, but their fans have suffered for a long time and unlike Pittsburgh fans, they can tell you about the team before 2005-06.

Hopefully Crosby is at 100%, you don't want to see the Penguins bow out because of injury, you want to beat them at full strength.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #321 (permalink)

Quote:
We'll know one way or another tomorrow - I've got my fingers crossed.
Same here!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #322 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

Orpik skated today before the team Sid sees the doctor tomorrow to possibly get clearance to play
Nick2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #323 (permalink)

I agree with playing Glass - like you stated he doesn't produce goals but he does produce a ton of hits and plays well on the PK. I would hope that if Adams blows it Disco would give Bennett a shot. He's playing very well and creating a decent amount of scoring chances.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #324 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Isles in 7.

This war has been going on for about 10 years now. The heat between Pitt and the NYI is hotter than when Pitt and Philly get together. Somewhere Jason Blake is snickering about the war he helped start.

Glad to see the Isles back in the playoffs. I'm not following them to Brooklyn, but their fans have suffered for a long time and unlike Pittsburgh fans, they can tell you about the team before 2005-06.

Hopefully Crosby is at 100%, you don't want to see the Penguins bow out because of injury, you want to beat them at full strength.
The Pens existed before 05/06? Holy crap!!!! I didn't know that! I guess us yinzers was too worried 'bout 'dem Stillers.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #325 (permalink)

Quote:
The Pens existed before 05/06? Holy crap!!!! I didn't know that! I guess us yinzers was too worried 'bout 'dem Stillers.
Wasn't der some guy named Marty or Marky or somethin that played on dem Pens teams before dat year? I think he owns em or somethin now...