Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #426 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

Pens fans, what's up with Fleury??
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #427 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
Fleury's confidence is completely shot at this point. Bylsma is crazy if he doesn't go with Vokoun next game. Fleury starts and gives up the first goal, or two, and it'll be another avalanche and the series will be over.

That being said... can't put it all on Fleury. he's not getting much help.

if the Pens get bounced out in the 1st round, again, the organization needs to take a seriously look at what's wrong.
Here's a good start on what's wrong:

-They have a "franchise" goalie with a mental makeup that's as fragile as an egg shell.

-They have a coach who refuses to make adjustments no matter how many times he watches his team get torched (this dates back to the Flyers series last year).

-They have last year's MVP who makes a stupid play for every brilliant play he makes. He's like a cross between Jagr and Kovalev - he'll dazzle you one minute with a great pass or a rocket shot, and the next minute he tries to beat 5 guys and turns the puck over, or refuses to dump the puck and turn it over at the blue line, or gets out of position defensively and lose his man, or makes a RIDICULOUS pass in the defensive zone for a turnover, or takes a stupid penalty. Who sulks when things don't go his way. They better think long and hard before giving him $10 million a year.

-They have a Norris Trophy finalist on defense who, after becoming one of the best two-way defensemen in the game in 2011-12, has regressed into a high risk/high reward player who, if the stat were correctly tracked, would lead the NHL playoffs in giveaways. Again, another "stud one minute, dud the next" type of player. He can be fixed - I'm not so sure about Malkin.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #428 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
Pens fans, what's up with Fleury??
What's up with Fleury is that he's making Bryzgalov look like f'n Patrick Roy. You watched the series last year, right? If you did then there's no need to watch this one, because you've seen it all before.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #429 (permalink)

Stupid penalties. I think this will go 7 games but the Pens will pull it out. The Islanders did what they wanted and got in Malkin's head. When a team does this, Malkin goes off his rocker and does stupid things.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #430 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
What's up with Fleury is that he's making Bryzgalov look like f'n Patrick Roy. You watched the series last year, right? If you did then there's no need to watch this one, because you've seen it all before.
obviously I did watch it last year, but yeah. he always looks uncomfortable a lot, and sloppy when trying to handle the puck. any word on who's starting next game?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #431 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
obviously I did watch it last year, but yeah. he always looks uncomfortable a lot, and sloppy when trying to handle the puck. any word on who's starting next game?
If Fleury starts the next game there's liable to be a riot in this town that will make Vancouver look like a tea party. Okay, I'm exaggerating. But the point is, this is the whole reason the Pens got Vokoun - if you don't start him now, then why get him? I will be SHOCKED if Vokoun doesn't start game 5.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #432 (permalink)

Letang should be sitting for the next ten games....we know that won't happen but he should be.

"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #433 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Letang should be sitting for the next ten games....we know that won't happen but he should be.

damn, that's clear as day
Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #434 (permalink)

Should be 10.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #435 (permalink)

It's official - Vokoun's in net tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #436 (permalink)

Quote:
Vokoun Starts in Game 5 - 2013 Pittsburgh Penguins - Stanley Cup Playoffs Coverage

Lets hope he can stand on his head. I feel that if they loose tomorrow, they will lose the series. I think they can pull this out though.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #437 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
Vokoun Starts in Game 5 - 2013 Pittsburgh Penguins - Stanley Cup Playoffs Coverage

Lets hope he can stand on his head. I feel that if they loose tomorrow, they will lose the series. I think they can pull this out though.
I don't think he'll need to stand on his head. The Pens defense was still bad yesterday, but it was at least better than Games 2+3. Honestly, how many QUALITY chances did the Isles have? Maybe 8-9. Fleury really only had 4 tough situations. He actually stopped 3 of them, the 5th goal being a tough situation where a turnover by Malkin pretty much fudged us. He allowed 5 goals that any professional goalie stops 95% of the time, and scored on himself. TWICE.

Even if Vokoun allows those garbage goals, he isn't gonna score on himself. Game is then 4-4.

I still say it's 60/40 Isles.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #438 (permalink)

Since someone wants to throw out pointless records, I'll throw some out there:

Pens record when I watch the game alone : 2-0
Pens record when I watch the game with a friend : 0-2

Beer's drank during and their record:

Beck's : W
Heineken : L
Spaten : W
St. Pauli Girl Special Dark : L

Pilsner Urquell is screaming my name for tonight's game. PRAYING the only store in town that carries it has some in stock.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #439 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Since someone wants to throw out pointless records, I'll throw some out there:

Pens record when I watch the game alone : 2-0
Pens record when I watch the game with a friend : 0-2

Beer's drank during and their record:

Beck's : W
Heineken : L
Spaten : W
St. Pauli Girl Special Dark : L

Pilsner Urquell is screaming my name for tonight's game. PRAYING the only store in town that carries it has some in stock.
Just make sure you take a friend with you

Go ISLES!!

I ship in Bubble Mailers only!! NO PWE!!!
nyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #440 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisle View Post

Go ISLES!!
Haha, trust me, I'll be watching alone!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #441 (permalink)

Hopefully I can get home tonight before the puck drop. Have to work late tonight (damn deadlines).
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #442 (permalink)

Vitale and TK in for Jokinen and Glass; Despres apparently in for Eaton. I like the first two moves, not crazy about the second - I'm okay with Eaton sitting, but I'd prefer to see Engelland in.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #443 (permalink)

Definitely ok w/ Vitale in.

More of DB's infinite wisdom in benching Jokinen. They've completely lost what they had going with Jokinen. You take one of your hottest scorers from the end of the regular season and start bouncing him around all over the lineup and then scratch him when, surprise, his production isn't there. Brilliant. Jokinen should be centering Morrow- period.

I don't like Despres in for Eaton. Eaton looked a little limpy in the 3rd the other night, maybe he's dinged.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #444 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisle View Post

Go ISLES!!
Already looks like a good match tonight. Go Isles!
longisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #445 (permalink)

Vokoun looks shaky already. Almost gave up a goal to a rebound when he dropped the puck after trying to glove it.
longisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #446 (permalink)

going to get killed for this but oh well -- As a lifelong Pens/Steelers and now a closet Pirates fan 8) I root for the team not a player so here goes

The Penguins are better off w/out Crosby - they play a more complete game and a more defensive game. With Sid everything goes through him and he does make stupid plays and bad passes just as many as Malkin but no one calls him out for it. When he had a broken jaw and game 1 it showed they can play a great team game and win easily. Since he's been back they have looked horrible to say the least especially on defense.

If they win it this year (or even lose) you know Iginla is going back to Calgary and Murray to Dallas so this has to be the year before Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Letang eat up over 50% of the salary cap themselves
streicher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #447 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longisland View Post
Vokoun looks shaky already. Almost gave up a goal to a rebound when he dropped the puck after trying to glove it.
Does Vokoun still look shaky?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #448 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streicher187 View Post
going to get killed for this but oh well -- As a lifelong Pens/Steelers and now a closet Pirates fan 8) I root for the team not a player so here goes

The Penguins are better off w/out Crosby - they play a more complete game and a more defensive game. With Sid everything goes through him and he does make stupid plays and bad passes just as many as Malkin but no one calls him out for it. When he had a broken jaw and game 1 it showed they can play a great team game and win easily. Since he's been back they have looked horrible to say the least especially on defense.

If they win it this year (or even lose) you know Iginla is going back to Calgary and Murray to Dallas so this has to be the year before Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Letang eat up over 50% of the salary cap themselves
I'm not going to kill you, but seriously - what are you talking about? Crosby didn't get hurt until AFTER the 15 game winning streak, during which at one point they gave up 9 goals in 10 games. And if Iginla is going back to Calgary, then why is his house listed for sale? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but really, it helps if you have actual FACTS to back up that opinion.

EDIT - and Murray isn't going anywhere - he's signed through next year.

Last edited by rippit; 05-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #449 (permalink)

I had to rub my eyes and do a double take tonight - yes, the Pens were actually playing a TRAP! DB KNOWS HOW TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS!!! And finally, FINALLY, he has Iginla with Crosby and Kunitz back on LW with Malkin! Our little baby's all grows up!

Every move DB made was pure gold tonight - Vitale draws a penalty, TK scores on a breakaway, Despres was solid and the "0" for the Isles tells you all you need to know about Vokoun. Now it's killer instinct time - the Pens of 1990-91 and 1991-92 were 8-0 when they had a chance to end a series. They need to end this thing on Saturday night.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #450 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not going to kill you, but seriously - what are you talking about? Crosby didn't get hurt until AFTER the 15 game winning streak, during which at one point they gave up 9 goals in 10 games. And if Iginla is going back to Calgary, then why is his house listed for sale? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but really, it helps if you have actual FACTS to back up that opinion.

EDIT - and Murray isn't going anywhere - he's signed through next year.
This. They were playing by far their best defense before Sid was injured. I understand they played poor defense in Game 2-4, but as rippit said, I really don't think that has anything to do with Sid.

Quote:
I had to rub my eyes and do a double take tonight - yes, the Pens were actually playing a TRAP! DB KNOWS HOW TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS!!! And finally, FINALLY, he has Iginla with Crosby and Kunitz back on LW with Malkin! Our little baby's all grows up!

Every move DB made was pure gold tonight - Vitale draws a penalty, TK scores on a breakaway, Despres was solid and the "0" for the Isles tells you all you need to know about Vokoun. Now it's killer instinct time - the Pens of 1990-91 and 1991-92 were 8-0 when they had a chance to end a series. They need to end this thing on Saturday night.
Don't give DB too much credit! It only took him 3 games of getting his butt kicked to make these changes. He certainly did make the right moves, as they pais off handsomly. But he's a professional coach, he shouldn't be lauded for basic coaching tactics. Hell, I coach JV football, and I know that when a player is sucking, you bench them! It's not hard. Don't mean to be harsh or come off as a dick, I just don't like giving DB too much credit!

But you're right in that he implemented a trap, finally! That was the best thing he did IMO.

I can't stop smiling about the fleury situation. He plays like doo for 3 games, get benched, and Vokoun comes in and shuts out the team that just scored 14 goals in the past 3 games. Vokoun was outstanding, and this isn't meant to take anything away from him, but it's obvious that the team is simply more confient in front of him. A confident player is a good player.

Like you said, the Pens need to close this series tomorrow. I do not want a Game 7. Db has shown he can't win a series at home. If I recall correctly, all 5 of his series clinchers have been on the road.