Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #451 (permalink)

Just realized if the Pens lose tomorrow, they have to play again Sunday. Pens played well and DB made some great adjustments. I wouldn't say Despres played great but he played okay. I did notice he was falling down a lot. I really hope he can become a good defenseman in the league. Lets hope they can keep the energy flying for game 6 and close this series out. If they win this series it looks like they will play Ottawa.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #452 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
Just realized if the Pens lose tomorrow, they have to play again Sunday. Pens played well and DB made some great adjustments. I wouldn't say Despres played great but he played okay. I did notice he was falling down a lot. I really hope he can become a good defenseman in the league. Lets hope they can keep the energy flying for game 6 and close this series out. If they win this series it looks like they will play Ottawa.
And if they play on Sunday, the Squirrel Hill Tunnels will be closed as well which will make for a huge headache for anyone going to the game that is traveling from the East Side.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #453 (permalink)

One major observation from watching a portion of last nights game were the shots of MAF on the bench, IMO the guy unfortunatley for the Pens looked so relieved that he was NOT in the lineup!

Not a good sign from your 'franchise' goaltender who has for the immediate future lost his job!

I truly believe that he even feels the team is better off without him, if indeed that is the case it would be wise for the Pens to move him prior to next year, and based on the fans in this thread I would think you guys' would agree.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #454 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
One major observation from watching a portion of last nights game were the shots of MAF on the bench, IMO the guy unfortunatley for the Pens looked so relieved that he was NOT in the lineup!
I noticed the same thing. Brought it up at the Pens board, something along the lines of "Even fleury seems like he wants Vokoun to start."

They NEED to stick with Vokoun.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #455 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
And if they play on Sunday, the Squirrel Hill Tunnels will be closed as well which will make for a huge headache for anyone going to the game that is traveling from the East Side.
I lived in Pittsburgh for 26 years and even when the tunnels were open, it was just like they were closed. That is some of the worst traffic in that area of the city other than Route 28.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #456 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
I lived in Pittsburgh for 26 years and even when the tunnels were open, it was just like they were closed. That is some of the worst traffic in that area of the city other than Route 28.
Tell me about it - I live out east. Lots of fun getting to the Consol on weekends.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #457 (permalink)

This may be a little bit biased because I'm talking about my favorite player on the team, but I just have to say it anyway (I may have said it before actually) - is it a coincidence that last year Chris Kunitz was on Malkin's line and Malkin won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies, and this year Chris Kunitz was on Crosby's line and Crosby would have won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies if not for the injury? To me Kuny is the perfect hockey players - he hits, he scores, he can skate, he passes well, he plays defense, he kills penalties, and even though he's not really a fighter he's often the first player to come to the defense of a teammate. This is not front running - I bought my Kunitz jersey last season (2011-12). That kid could play on the top line of just about any team in the NHL and not look out of place. One HELL of a hockey player.

Is anyone else nervous?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #458 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Is anyone else nervous?
Always am with this team. You never know what you're gonna see.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #459 (permalink)

Quote:
This may be a little bit biased because I'm talking about my favorite player on the team, but I just have to say it anyway (I may have said it before actually) - is it a coincidence that last year Chris Kunitz was on Malkin's line and Malkin won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies, and this year Chris Kunitz was on Crosby's line and Crosby would have won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies if not for the injury? To me Kuny is the perfect hockey players - he hits, he scores, he can skate, he passes well, he plays defense, he kills penalties, and even though he's not really a fighter he's often the first player to come to the defense of a teammate. This is not front running - I bought my Kunitz jersey last season (2011-12). That kid could play on the top line of just about any team in the NHL and not look out of place. One HELL of a hockey player.

Is anyone else nervous?
Not at all. This ends tonight. Bring on the Senators.

solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #460 (permalink)

Penguins are 5-1 on my birthday dating back to 1984. Only loss was to WSH in our '09 Cup Year.

I'm feelin pretty good right about now. Hit a disgusting Tannehill out of NT Football at like 3:30am this morning, woke up to breakfast in bed from my wife, my parents just dropped off my birthday gift (my steelers tickets and $100) and I'm going out to eat to my favorite restaurant.

My whipped cream is Iginla scoring a goal and the cherry on top is Crosby getting the GWG.
HeyFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #461 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyFitzy View Post
Penguins are 5-1 on my birthday dating back to 1984. Only loss was to WSH in our '09 Cup Year.

Happy birthday
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #462 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Happy birthday
Thank you
Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #463 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm feelin pretty good right about now. Hit a disgusting Tannehill out of NT Football at like 3:30am this morning, woke up to breakfast in bed from my wife, my parents just dropped off my birthday gift (my steelers tickets and $100) and I'm going out to eat to my favorite restaurant.

My whipped cream is Iginla scoring a goal and the cherry on top is Crosby getting the GWG.
Happy birthday - let's hope the Pens make it a happier birthday.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #464 (permalink)

Congrats to the Pens and Islanders! Pens finally win a first round series and look good going into round two, and the Isles make great progression towards the future.

Should be a good series against the Sens. They certainly won't go down easy. I'm predicting either a seven-gamer or a Sens win, if they can get off of Matt Cooke's case and play hockey. Anderson will play his game and keep them in it.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #465 (permalink)

It wasn't pretty, but who cares? Survive and advance.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #466 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Congrats to the Pens and Islanders! Pens finally win a first round series and look good going into round two, and the Isles make great progression towards the future.

Should be a good series against the Sens. They certainly won't go down easy. I'm predicting either a seven-gamer or a Sens win, if they can get off of Matt Cooke's case and play hockey. Anderson will play his game and keep them in it.
Should be a great series. Will be a battle!

Quote:
It wasn't pretty, but who cares? Survive and advance.
Ugh, it was FAR from pretty. I will type more tomorrow (when I do NOT, haha ), but I will say this: Way too early in the playoffs to talk about "saviors", but for this series, Tomas Vokoun, or as I call him "Vokizzle", was our savior. You sir, are the man!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #467 (permalink)

Another birthday win 6-1 all time w00t!!

The fact we won that game and played terrible is a good sign. Islanders gave it everything they had, they will learn from this loss believe me, they are super young and have a ton of talent.

Ottawa should be a great series
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #468 (permalink)

Quote:
Another birthday win 6-1 all time w00t!!

The fact we won that game and played terrible is a good sign. Islanders gave it everything they had, they will learn from this loss believe me, they are super young and have a ton of talent.

Ottawa should be a great series
Happy birthday HeyFitzy didn't know you lived in the burgh as well. I think Ottawa is a better match for the pens hope for the best
swatko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #469 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatko4 View Post
Happy birthday HeyFitzy didn't know you lived in the burgh as well. I think Ottawa is a better match for the pens hope for the best
Thanks! I live north of Pitt in Ellwood, I just use Pittsburgh as the main locator bc no one knows where EC is haha

I think the Ottawa series is going to be epic. Ill cry though seeing Gonchar
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #470 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatko4 View Post
Ottawa is a terrible matchup for the Pens IMO, with the one of the best Goaltenders in the league this year Craig Anderson , and getting the questionable Goaltending that Pitt. has had, if the Pens don't score 3-4 goals a game they will not beat Ottawa. And scoring that many goals against Ottawa will not be easy.

Ottawa is one of the fastest and best defensive teams in this years playoffs, and will be an extremely difficult matchup for Pitt.,especially after playing the emotional series they had with the Isles.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #471 (permalink)

Well, it was far from a pretty series, but the Pens move on, and I'm happy. I just don't get though, how a team can be so hot and cold. ALL teams have bad games, just as all teams have great games. But I just don't know what this team's deal is. I mean, look at Games 1 + 5; for the majority of those games, the team made the Isles look like an AHL team. Then look at the wins in games 3 + 6; the Isles COMPLETELY dominated the Pens. Game 3 was saved by some quality PP play and poor goaltending by Nabokov. Game 6 was saved by Vokoun absolutely standing on his head. Overall, I'm thrilled that the Pens won the series and are moving on, but am not at all happy about the overall play.

I hope the team uses this series as a wakeup call. POS DB better sit their asses down and breakdown the film, to demonstrate what works, and what doesn't:

WORKS
Dump and chase
Play physical
Don't allow opponent to enter the zone so easy

DOESN'T
Laziness
Stretch passes
Allowing team to enter zone without resistance

I realize these things are much easier said than done, but these are easy concepts that when the team does right for a good portion of a game, they tend to win easily. No matter who the opponent is.

Other than the mainstream media (who are full of idiots who wouldn't know the reality of pro hockey if it a$$-raped them in a back alley) and us Pens fans, no one is giving us a chance vs the Sens. I'm not ready to make a full prediction yet, but I feel we can win this series. Ottawa is a great team with a good defense and a great goalie in Anderson. They're more physical than the Isles, so I see glA$$ playing some games this series.

While I'm on the topic of personnel, I'll continue to ramble.

- Bench Brandon Morrow. He contributed nothing last series except dumb penalties. Wait, scratch that: He drew ONE penalty. As well as he played late in the regular season, it's gone. I realize he's physical, but he looked slower than death last series, and shocking to me, lazy in a lot of situations too. Especially in the neutral zone. Honestly, I think playing w/ Jokinen made him look good. IMO, he should play w/ Jokinen.
- Dress Jokinen. I like this guy, and I know he didn't look outstanding in the Isles series, but I think he was a little gimpy from the trip he took from reasoner.
- Alternate TK + Vitale. Both played well in their chances. However, TK still does not have my trust after an atrocious regular season.
- Bench Niskanen. No need to explain.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #472 (permalink)

Penguins Report: Game Day vs. Ottawa (Game 1) - Pittsburgh Penguins - Penguins Report
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #473 (permalink)

Vokoun starting Game 1, good news.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #474 (permalink)

Great start to the series. I just hate having to wait until Friday to see them play again.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #475 (permalink)

Uh oh....looks like it's mating season in Pittsburgh now....

And remember kids, how do you tell the difference between a male penguin and a female penguin?

You can't......keep that in mind with the above photo...scary stuff.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote