Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #476 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
Great start to the series. I just hate having to wait until Friday to see them play again.
Same here. I don't like how so many games (not just this series, either) have 2 days between them. I think the every-other-day schedule is optimal. Figured since we're already in Mid-May and the Conference Semi's just started, they'd wanna speed things up a bit. Guess not.

Pretty solid game overall. I got a little bit worried in the 2nd, when the Sens controlled most of the play and didn't allow the Pens any sustained o-zone time. But the PP + PK were both outstanding, defense didn't allow many quality oppurtunities and Vokoun was again very good.

I remember a bunch of us talking about how the PK absolutely needed to be improved before the playoffs. And so far, it has. Doesn't mean it can't implode, but I've been very impressed by it so far. Keep it up!

Speaking of Vokoun, what really impresses me about him so far is his poise, positioning and mental toughness. He allowed a softie to start the game, but rebounded and played great the rest of the way. Seems like when fleury let's in an early softie, his game goes to $hite immediately. It irritates me that people are saying "Oh Vokoun looks shaky and unorthodox." Who the hell cares how he looks? He's 3-0 and has 4 goals allowed. Let him play how he wants to play. The reason he looks "shaky" to some people is he's calm and poised. Not ready to crown his ass, but I'm impressed with his play through his first 3 games. Hope it continues.

Pens fans are used to fleury having to make outstanding fly across the crease and do a full split to make a save that'd be routine for most goalies, but fleury MADE the save HAVE to be outstanding because he was 11 feet out of position beforehand. Rant done!
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #477 (permalink)

I thought they played an EXCELLENT all-around game. I didn't seem like many of the Senators shots were very dangerous. Yeah, Vokoun gave up a bad goal, but more importantly, he bounced back from it and shut the door. And that calm demeanor (good thing I re-read before I posted because I had initially typed "clam" demeanor - which I guess could also be good) definitely rubs off on the rest of the team. He should be in goal until he has a bad game, period. Even if he loses but plays a strong game he should stay in net. Will it happen? Who knows.

The PK can't play much better, and the PP is pretty much unstoppable. Teams just can't take penalties against the Pens. The only way to stop it is to keep it from getting set up. Once they're set, there better either be some stellar saves by the goalie or the puck is gonna wind up in the net. And I don't think it's just a streak - I think this is how the PP will click now that everyone is healthy. That was a good PK they torched last night.

Ottawa is more a physical team than a speed team, and I like the Pens against just about anyone when it comes to that type of game. They can match big bodies and banging with any team in the league. And the beauty of it is, even physical teams have to be careful, because if you take bad penalties (or even good penalties) the puck will wind up in the net.

Speaking of bad penalties, Neal outdid even himself last night with three penalties. One should have been offset by Erik "Greg Louganis" Karlsson (by that I mean he dives, not that he's gay). I know they all got killed but sooner or later one of them is gonna bite you in the #@#@#@.

This was the Pens team I expected to see in the first round. It really makes you appreciate how FAST the Islanders are. I think they're the fastest team in the league, and they were probably the worst matchup the Pens could have drawn for that reason.

One down, three to go - survive and advance.
rippit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #478 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Uh oh....looks like it's mating season in Pittsburgh now....

And remember kids, how do you tell the difference between a male penguin and a female penguin?

You can't......keep that in mind with the above photo...scary stuff.
I can't believe my dad got tickets and didn't invite me.
rippit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #479 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Same here. I don't like how so many games (not just this series, either) have 2 days between them. I think the every-other-day schedule is optimal. Figured since we're already in Mid-May and the Conference Semi's just started, they'd wanna speed things up a bit. Guess not.

Pretty solid game overall. I got a little bit worried in the 2nd, when the Sens controlled most of the play and didn't allow the Pens any sustained o-zone time. But the PP + PK were both outstanding, defense didn't allow many quality oppurtunities and Vokoun was again very good.

I remember a bunch of us talking about how the PK absolutely needed to be improved before the playoffs. And so far, it has. Doesn't mean it can't implode, but I've been very impressed by it so far. Keep it up!

Speaking of Vokoun, what really impresses me about him so far is his poise, positioning and mental toughness. He allowed a softie to start the game, but rebounded and played great the rest of the way. Seems like when fleury let's in an early softie, his game goes to $hite immediately. It irritates me that people are saying "Oh Vokoun looks shaky and unorthodox." Who the hell cares how he looks? He's 3-0 and has 4 goals allowed. Let him play how he wants to play. The reason he looks "shaky" to some people is he's calm and poised. Not ready to crown his ass, but I'm impressed with his play through his first 3 games. Hope it continues.

Pens fans are used to fleury having to make outstanding fly across the crease and do a full split to make a save that'd be routine for most goalies, but fleury MADE the save HAVE to be outstanding because he was 11 feet out of position beforehand. Rant done!
I think even on that goal, Vokoun just didn't know where it was. It took a really bad bounce and I give the Sens player credit for keeping the play moving. Also Im not sure what crawled up TK's backside but damn he is playing better hockey. I was thinking about this during the game and as soon as the thought passed, the announcer's said it to. He always picks his game up in the playoffs. Now only if he could do this during the regular season. Also, no disrespect for your favorite goalie (Tommy B), but right now Vokoun reminds me of Frank Pietrangelo. I think if it wasn't for Frank they would have never won that cup in 91. Could we be saying the same thing about TV at the end of the playoffs??????
crabbygraphs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #480 (permalink)

Quote:
I think even on that goal, Vokoun just didn't know where it was. It took a really bad bounce and I give the Sens player credit for keeping the play moving. Also Im not sure what crawled up TK's backside but damn he is playing better hockey. I was thinking about this during the game and as soon as the thought passed, the announcer's said it to. He always picks his game up in the playoffs. Now only if he could do this during the regular season. Also, no disrespect for your favorite goalie (Tommy B), but right now Vokoun reminds me of Frank Pietrangelo. I think if it wasn't for Frank they would have never won that cup in 91. Could we be saying the same thing about TV at the end of the playoffs??????
THE SAVE!!! Understandable, one of the best moments in Penguins history, so I of course don't take that as disrespect! Way too early to predict anything, but I hope Vokoun does lead us the Cup. And if that does happen (lol, again we're getting way too ahead of ourselves), Vokoun will assuredly deserves much, much credit. But let's just win Game 2 Friday night. One game at a time!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #481 (permalink)

Quote:
THE SAVE!!! Understandable, one of the best moments in Penguins history, so I of course don't take that as disrespect! Way too early to predict anything, but I hope Vokoun does lead us the Cup. And if that does happen (lol, again we're getting way too ahead of ourselves), Vokoun will assuredly deserves much, much credit. But let's just win Game 2 Friday night. One game at a time!
I agree. But this has the makings for a repeat of him being our savior. I still think back to when he was doing terrible and how I wish he was gone. Well he is making me eat my words. Hope he keeps it up. I still like Fleury and always will (unless he leaves Pittsburgh and goes to New York or Philly). I think he just makes some dumb plays. But Fleury makes the prettier saves which doesn't win you championships.

Also I hope one of the Penguins drops Neil this series. I cannot stand him.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #482 (permalink)

Quote:
Also a funny story about Barrasso. When I was younger I worked at a local golf course near Pittsburgh. Everyone hated him there. One day I was working and he asked for something and I told him we were out of it. He then proceeded to call me a "F-ing maggot". I have not been a fan of him since. I liked what he did on the ice, but the way he treated people was just downright wrong.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #483 (permalink)

Quote:
Also a funny story about Barrasso. When I was younger I worked at a local golf course near Pittsburgh. Everyone hated him there. One day I was working and he asked for something and I told him we were out of it. He then proceeded to call me a "F-ing maggot". I have not been a fan of him since. I liked what he did on the ice, but the way he treated people was just downright wrong.
Yeah, he took his anger out on everyone. Guy was an a$$hole. His daughter's cancer was everyone's fault. The media was everyone's fault. Didn't understand this as a kid, and I loved him. That's why I collect him.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #484 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, he took his anger out on everyone. Guy was an a$$hole. His daughter's cancer was everyone's fault. The media was everyone's fault. Didn't understand this as a kid, and I loved him. That's why I collect him.
I was the same way. I working on trying to obtain signatures from the members of the first two cups. Wanted to do them all inperson and TTM. I tried for TB a couple years ago when he was with Carolina. Just a total piece of work. So I decided to pick up a certified auto from BAP.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #485 (permalink)

One thing I just don't get is, all these fleury fanboys. I knew there'd be some people who'd be crying for the little guy with the mental toughness of a 5 year-old to be put back in. Yet even after 3 very solid games by Tomas Vokoun, there are SO many people that want to see fleury back in. Why? So he can give up a softie, then fall back into the flopping headcase with no self-confidence? Irritates me to no end. These same people are opting to either blindly choose to give the "team in front of him" credit, or simply just refusing to give Vokoun credit for his solid performances. Has he played Lundqvist or Quick-esque so far? Not quite. Has the team played better in front of him than they did in front of fleury? In 2 of 3 games, yes. Definitely not in Game 6. fleury fanboys irk me so much.

IMO, Vokoun should continue to play until his play falters. If and ONLY IF, the team get's up 3-0 in a series should fleury maybe get a start for Vokizzle can get a rest, but I already talked about that.

Just really pisses me off there are so many people who refuse to give Vokoun credit for his solid play, and blame all of fleury's woes on the team in front of him.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #486 (permalink)

Quote:
One thing I just don't get is, all these fleury fanboys. I knew there'd be some people who'd be crying for the little guy with the mental toughness of a 5 year-old to be put back in. Yet even after 3 very solid games by Tomas Vokoun, there are SO many people that want to see fleury back in. Why? So he can give up a softie, then fall back into the flopping headcase with no self-confidence? Irritates me to no end. These same people are opting to either blindly choose to give the "team in front of him" credit, or simply just refusing to give Vokoun credit for his solid performances. Has he played Lundqvist or Quick-esque so far? Not quite. Has the team played better in front of him than they did in front of fleury? In 2 of 3 games, yes. Definitely not in Game 6. fleury fanboys irk me so much.

IMO, Vokoun should continue to play until his play falters. If and ONLY IF, the team get's up 3-0 in a series should fleury maybe get a start for Vokizzle can get a rest, but I already talked about that.

Just really pisses me off there are so many people who refuse to give Vokoun credit for his solid play, and blame all of fleury's woes on the team in front of him.
Vokoun should get all the credit right now. Do I think Fleury should be back in net? Yes. Reason is I like him net and he has played well, except for this last part of the year. I think even if Vokoun looses they should still keep him in. He is going to have a bad game sooner or later. Not every goalie is perfect. As much as we want to think this we are wrong. I also think some of Fleurys goals were bad bounces. I think the Pens will win tonight 3-1. Im hoping for a shutout. Is Vokoun starting tonight? I haven't found anything say he is or not.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #487 (permalink)

Yes, Vokoun is in net tonight.

DB has put Iginla back on Malkin's left wing. Don't like that.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #488 (permalink)

Now I am ready to leave work and watch the game.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #489 (permalink)

Same here!

Got some Modelo's chillin' in da fridge.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #490 (permalink)

Quote:
Same here!

Got some Modelo's chillin' in da fridge.
I might have a beer a month. If I did I would have some Presidente's in the fridge. I have some ice tea in the fridge waiting for me.

Last edited by crabbygraphs; 05-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #491 (permalink)

Both of those powerplays were bad. The kid is playing out of his mind right now.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #492 (permalink)

HAT TRICK Sid!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #493 (permalink)

Hat trizzle! Keep it up, game is FAR from over.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #494 (permalink)

Lol Keith Jones can't hide his disdain.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #495 (permalink)

Preseidente, nice. Have heard its good and wanna try it, but have never seen it anywhere
local.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #496 (permalink)

Headed to Game 3 in Ottawa tomorrow, place should be insane!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #497 (permalink)

Time for Pens to regroup after a tough loss last night. Ugh, the Ottawa fans were so annoying. Classless trash.

I thought other than the defensive breakdown that lead to the tying goal, it was actually a pretty good game by the Pens. Anderson was simply outstanding, stole the game.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #498 (permalink)

Quote:
Time for Pens to regroup after a tough loss last night. Ugh, the Ottawa fans were so annoying. Classless trash.

I thought other than the defensive breakdown that lead to the tying goal, it was actually a pretty good game by the Pens. Anderson was simply outstanding, stole the game.
You'll have to explain the "classless trash" part. I'm in complete agreement with you, I'd just like to know why.

Keep in mind my location, good sir, before generalizing an entire city .
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #499 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
You'll have to explain the "classless trash" part. I'm in complete agreement with you, I'd just like to know why.

Keep in mind my location, good sir, before generalizing an entire city .
No no, didn't mean to generalize the city at all. I've been to Ottawa and it's suburbs several times before, and like the area very much. Never had any issues until last night. Definitely don't mean the city/area or it's residents are classless trash, I'm just referring to moderate % of the Sens fanbase at Game 3 of Round 2 in 2013.

This is the 4th arena I've seena Pens game at, and I always wear a jersey, so it's obvious I'm a fan. Usually I get playful ribbing, which I give back. Nothing serious, just having fun. Rarely I'll get an idiot who obviously has never done anything successful sportswise in their live and has to live vicariously through professional sports, but that happens rarely in my experience.

Didn't get much trash talk until after the 3rd intermission. I'm a big guy (6'1 265), so of course no one had the balls (not that I'd do anything, because it's not worth getting kicked out over) to say anything to face, just run their mouth's behind me. Whenever I'd stand up during any part of the game, some a$$hole behind me kept shouting "sit down". Of course everyone was clueless as to who it was when I inquired. At other arenas, I run into a lot of friendly people with whom I have actaul polite conversations about the game itself, the teams, hockey/sports in general, hometowns, etc. I tried to politely have some conversations while in line for beer, only 1 dude and his girlfriend were polite. They were from Kingston. The typical response was rolling eyes and general rudeness. And when we were exiting the arena, every behind me was suddenly Derek Poundstone running their mouths. And not just $hit about the game, they were calling by friend and I a$$hole, faggot$, pieces of $hit, etc. Never experienced that at a game. I realize it happens, it's just I personally have never experienced. Lots of mumbling behind me "Barrasso sucks", along with the typical Crosby trash talk. THAT was contant.

Oh yeah almost forgot: Some idiot told a 12 year old kid w/ a fleury jersey to "get that crap outta here." Like I said, classy.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #500 (permalink)

Damnit!!!! Why couldn't this have been the game I went to???!!! ARRRRRRRGGHH!