Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #151 (permalink)

The Pens are in it to win it this year.
crabbygraphs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #152 (permalink)

Un-f'n-believable - for no roster players and none of our top prospects, just two who MAY turn out to be something, and the 30th choice in this year's draft
rippit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #153 (permalink)

Yep yep:

Calgary Flames trade Jarome Iginla to Pittsburgh Penguins - 2013 Trade Deadline

No excuses now! Shero has put together a damn near video game roster. It's Cup or bust for the Pens now.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Un-f'n-believable - for no roster players and none of our top prospects, just two who MAY turn out to be something, and the 30th choice in this year's draft
Yep, all came down to the fact Iginla wanted to come to Pittsburgh. Can't wait to see the first game w/ everyone back and healthy.

I really hope they don't break up the 1st line to put Iginla on it. Not that anyone cares (nor do I care about anyone else's theories), but here is what I'd like to see as far as lines go:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Iginla - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Cooke - Vitale - Adams

Keep the scrub Justin Deffrey in for Malkin till he's back, then get his a$$ outta there. Dude has some talent, but can't finish his chances, nor he can he consistantly set anything up. Overall, he's sucked. I've (along w/ thousands of others) been bashing Tyler Kennedy's play this year. He was atrocious for about 27-28 games, but has actually been decent the past few. Doesn't excuse his abysmal 1st half, but at this point, I think he's doing OK. Tanner GlA$$ should either be dealt for picks, or scratched. Dude sucks. And I'm going to lose my mind if Vitale is a healthy scratch again. Beau Bennett has been playing well, but I don't see any reason to NOT send him back down to WBS with these additions. Let him play there, instead of being a scratch with the big team. Again, noone will care about my opinion, I just wanted to type it.

Last edited by ncm7772; 03-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #155 (permalink)

One thing that has irritated me already though, is so many people already claiming "Pittsburgh wins the Cup" blah blah blah. Great rosters only get you so far! The team still has to finish the regular season, then play 4 series of great hockey. And as we all know, none of the stats, additions, etc mean anything once playoffs come. all bets are off then.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #156 (permalink)

I'm not sure what has been more impressive, the talent that Shero has convinced to come to Pittsburgh or the fact that he still has $13 Mil in cap space right now.

Completed the 1971 Topps set!
Currently working on the 1969 and 1970 sets
mthokie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Yep, all came down to the fact Iginla wanted to come to Pittsburgh. Can't wait to see the first game w/ everyone back and healthy.

I really hope they don't break up the 1st line to put Iginla on it. Not that anyone cares (nor do I care about anyone else's theories), but here is what I'd like to see as far as lines go:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Iginla - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Cooke - Vitale - Adams

Keep the scrub Justin Deffrey in for Malkin till he's back, then get his a$$ outta there. Dude has some talent, but can't finish his chances, nor he can he consistantly set anything up. Overall, he's sucked. I've (along w/ thousands of others) been bashing Tyler Kennedy's play this year. He was atrocious for about 27-28 games, but has actually been decent the past few. Doesn't excuse his abysmal 1st half, but at this point, I think he's doing OK. Tanner GlA$$ should either be dealt for picks, or scratched. Dude sucks. And I'm going to lose my mind if Vitale is a healthy scratch again. Beau Bennett has been playing well, but I don't see any reason to NOT send him back down to WBS with these additions. Let him play there, instead of being a scratch with the big team. Again, noone will care about my opinion, I just wanted to type it.
Those lines are almost exactly what I'd do, with a few minor tweaks:

-Scratch Kennedy and keep Cooke on the 3rd line - I know TK has been playing well lately, but he's just too damn inconsistent.

-Put Glass in on the 4th line. I'm not as down on him as you are - he hits, he kills penalties, he stands up for his teammates, and he fights when the situation calls for it. He doesn't score AT ALL, but we have enough players who can handle that. Plus your 4th line would be a true "energy line" - 3 guys who can all hit and fight, and a good faceoff man in Vitale. And it also drives me nuts when Disco scratches him for Jeffrey.

Maybe someone else can answer this, because I don't know the answer, but has Iginla ever played LW? If not, that could be a problem.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #158 (permalink)

EDIT - nevermind, I thought Malkin and Letang were UFA's next season.

Last edited by rhcardinals3; 03-28-2013 at 10:11 AM.
rhcardinals3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Those lines are almost exactly what I'd do, with a few minor tweaks:

-Scratch Kennedy and keep Cooke on the 3rd line - I know TK has been playing well lately, but he's just too damn inconsistent.

-Put Glass in on the 4th line. I'm not as down on him as you are - he hits, he kills penalties, he stands up for his teammates, and he fights when the situation calls for it. He doesn't score AT ALL, but we have enough players who can handle that. Plus your 4th line would be a true "energy line" - 3 guys who can all hit and fight, and a good faceoff man in Vitale. And it also drives me nuts when Disco scratches him for Jeffrey.

Maybe someone else can answer this, because I don't know the answer, but has Iginla ever played LW? If not, that could be a problem.
Yes, I could certainly live w/ Kennedy being scratched. Not sure about Iginla at LW. That's one of the reasons many people feel he should play on the first line instead of Dupuis.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcardinals3 View Post
Good luck keeping under the cap next season!
How do you anticipate this being a problem?

Completed the 1971 Topps set!
Currently working on the 1969 and 1970 sets
mthokie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthokie83 View Post
How do you anticipate this being a problem?
My mistake. I had heard that Malkin and Letang (and Iginla among others) were UFA's next season. I just took a look and that is not the case.
rhcardinals3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #162 (permalink)
Banned

Default Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcardinals3 View Post
My mistake. I had heard that Malkin and Letang (and Iginla among others) were UFA's next season. I just took a look and that is not the case.
Malkin and Kris Letang are Free Agents next year. The Pens will sign Malkin without a doubt. But, look for them to let Letang go. They draft Derrick P in the draft and he is a exact replica of Letang. It will be hard, but so was losing Staal.
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
Malkin and Kris Letang are Free Agents next year. The Pens will sign Malkin without a doubt. But, look for them to let Letang go. They draft Derrick P in the draft and he is a exact replica of Letang. It will be hard, but so was losing Staal.
I'm not positive they'll sign Malkin. I think he'd like to stay, but someone else might offer him more. I'd be suprised if they resigned Letang. Letang really seems like a dude who would go to the highest bidder.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #164 (permalink)

I believe Letang is more important to keep than Malkin. If I had to choose one.....
solt0131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #165 (permalink)

14 wins in a row. 10 goals against in the last 11 games. Letang, Malkin or both out for a large part of the win streak. And Iginla hasn't even arrived yet.

Note to the rest of the league: Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #166 (permalink)

Very complete win last night vs Winnipeg. Solid in both zones, and man, Sid's line is just unreal right now. Chemistry is pretty amazing, all three of them just seem to know where the others are going to be. Malkin looked alright in his first game back. I just wish he'd show some of that Jagr-like killer instinct where he says "f*** it, I'm gonna skate through everybody." He's certainly capable. James Neal finally looked like a hockey player again. Painfully obvious he's lost without Malkin. Morrow is stil a little lost, but he did his job in keeping his a$$ in front of the net and being physical. Doug Murray looked good in his Pittsburgh debut. Some nice hits, and if he could hit the net from the point, he may have scored. Vokoun looked great again, and the team became the first Pens team since my old boys Barrasso and Wregget to record consecutive shutouts.

And how about that PK? They successfully killed all 4 penalties, including 1:56 of 5-on-3. They need to continue to improve. My only complaint is the slow start. Winnipeg had much more jump the first 8-9 minutes. Sort of becoming a habit for the Pens. Albeit a bad habit, I'd much rather see them start slow and play a complete game than to see them doing what they did consistently before their streak, which was play lights out for 10-14 minutes, get a 2-0 or 3-0 lead, then play like straight t-rash the rest of the game and lose, or at the best, have to scramble to win.

As much as I've been a huge advocate in the "fire Dan Bylsma" project, I have shut my mouth. He has obviously started to hold his players accountable for lazy-a$$, "I'm only gonna try for highligh reel plays" hockey, and the most obvious and most important, more of an emphasis on team defense. Goes to show the team was always capable of playing good defense, they just chose not to. Much of that is on coaching, and since DB has obviously changed that, I give him a lot of credit.

Fleury participated in the morning skate yesterday, but did not dress. I don't see a reason to NOT keep him scratched until next week. No sense rushing him when Voukizzle is playing as well as he is. They have two full days off after they play the Isles Saturday, so I feel they should rest him till Tues vs Buffalo. They can tie the win streak record next week at MSG, which I will be at. Can't wait!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Very complete win last night vs Winnipeg. Solid in both zones, and man, Sid's line is just unreal right now. Chemistry is pretty amazing, all three of them just seem to know where the others are going to be. Malkin looked alright in his first game back. I just wish he'd show some of that Jagr-like killer instinct where he says "f*** it, I'm gonna skate through everybody." He's certainly capable. James Neal finally looked like a hockey player again. Painfully obvious he's lost without Malkin. Morrow is stil a little lost, but he did his job in keeping his a$$ in front of the net and being physical. Doug Murray looked good in his Pittsburgh debut. Some nice hits, and if he could hit the net from the point, he may have scored. Vokoun looked great again, and the team became the first Pens team since my old boys Barrasso and Wregget to record consecutive shutouts.

And how about that PK? They successfully killed all 4 penalties, including 1:56 of 5-on-3. They need to continue to improve. My only complaint is the slow start. Winnipeg had much more jump the first 8-9 minutes. Sort of becoming a habit for the Pens. Albeit a bad habit, I'd much rather see them start slow and play a complete game than to see them doing what they did consistently before their streak, which was play lights out for 10-14 minutes, get a 2-0 or 3-0 lead, then play like straight t-rash the rest of the game and lose, or at the best, have to scramble to win.

As much as I've been a huge advocate in the "fire Dan Bylsma" project, I have shut my mouth. He has obviously started to hold his players accountable for lazy-a$$, "I'm only gonna try for highligh reel plays" hockey, and the most obvious and most important, more of an emphasis on team defense. Goes to show the team was always capable of playing good defense, they just chose not to. Much of that is on coaching, and since DB has obviously changed that, I give him a lot of credit.

Fleury participated in the morning skate yesterday, but did not dress. I don't see a reason to NOT keep him scratched until next week. No sense rushing him when Voukizzle is playing as well as he is. They have two full days off after they play the Isles Saturday, so I feel they should rest him till Tues vs Buffalo. They can tie the win streak record next week at MSG, which I will be at. Can't wait!
Everything you said is dead-on - especially the part about Disco. I was a big critic of his, and some of his personnel decisions still irritate me, but it's obvious he has the team buying in and you can't argue with 14 in a row.

A lot of people will compare this to last year, but it's a totally different animal. Last year, even though they were hot down the stretch, you could see a lot of issues if you looked closely - they were winning a lot of high scoring games. 5-3, 5-4, 6-4, etc. And they lost some games where they gave up 5, 6, even 8 goals. And even though they finished #1 on the PK last year, the Flyers torched them on the PP every game. Plus Fleury was playiing too much - out of necessity, because Johnson was TERRIBLE last year.

I've been following the Pens since 78-79, and I have NEVER seen them play defense like this, even during the Kevin Constantine/Dead Puck eras. I'm not engraving their names on the Cup yet, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #168 (permalink)

They were ready to engrave the names in 93 until David Volek sent them packing. Just remember that.....
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #169 (permalink)

Quote:
Everything you said is dead-on - especially the part about Disco. I was a big critic of his, and some of his personnel decisions still irritate me, but it's obvious he has the team buying in and you can't argue with 14 in a row.

A lot of people will compare this to last year, but it's a totally different animal. Last year, even though they were hot down the stretch, you could see a lot of issues if you looked closely - they were winning a lot of high scoring games. 5-3, 5-4, 6-4, etc. And they lost some games where they gave up 5, 6, even 8 goals. And even though they finished #1 on the PK last year, the Flyers torched them on the PP every game. Plus Fleury was playiing too much - out of necessity, because Johnson was TERRIBLE last year.

I've been following the Pens since 78-79, and I have NEVER seen them play defense like this, even during the Kevin Constantine/Dead Puck eras. I'm not engraving their names on the Cup yet, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic.
Thanks, glad to hear my opinions are shared.

Yes, DB still makes some questionable personnel calls, like scratching Vitale for Jeffrey, scratching Vitale instead of glASS, not benching Tyler Kennedy when both Jeffrey and/or Vitale were being scratched. Either should have played instead of him in the first half. But overall, I give him tons of credit.

You're right about past seasons. They've had their streaks, and have looked impressive at times. Like last year, they kept winning those "glorious" games, and everyone predicted they'd win the Cup (even the folks in Vegas). True fans like us realized that that kind of hockey doesn't work in the playoffs, and guess what, it didn't. I wasn't suprised when they lost to the Flyers, and I'm sure you weren't either. It is certainly nice to be able to give Fleury a rest. Yes, Vokoun had those 3 bad games. Not excusing him whatsoever, but he had NO help from his teammates at all in those 3. Florida's PP looked like the best in the league against our doo-doo ass PK, people were allowed to camp out in front of the net vs Philly, and too many odd man rushes vs MTL. Again, not excusing him, but those games were as much about poor team D than about Vokoun in goal. Sans those 3 games, Vokoun has been very, very good.

Wow, do the Pens really have 4 shutouts through 34 games? LOL, unbelievable for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
They were ready to engrave the names in 93 until David Volek sent them packing. Just remember that.....
Yep. I remember crying the next morning at the young age of 7 when my dad told me they lost in OT. LOL, he wouldn't let me stay up late to watch it.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #170 (permalink)

On the "less fortunate" side of things:

- Iginla will almost certainly not be available for tommorrow's game due to visa/immigration issues. There is also a chance he still may not be available Tuesday, as Canadian government offices are closes on Easter (obviously), and Easter Monday. Hope he's available by Wednesday, as I'll be at MSG for that one.

- Paul Martin was injured last night and did not practice today.
“(He) has an upper-body injury that's being evaluated further,” Bylsma said. “I don't have a lot of information for you.”
A typical Dan Bylsma injury statement. Good thing the team is deep on defense right now, w/ Letang on IR and now possibly being down Martin.

- According to DB, Marc-Andre Fleury will "be available" for tommorrow's game. I really, REALLY hope they just let him rest until Tuesday. Good news he seems to be getting better, at least.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #171 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

Iginla is in todays lineup already
Nick2317 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #172 (permalink)

Paul Martin out six weeks.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #173 (permalink)

Crosby is out of the game due to taking a puck to the chin. Not good. Could be concussion related.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #174 (permalink)

Hopefully it's just some teeth knocked out. With all these injuries, it's probably worse. Man, this sucks.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #175 (permalink)

A lot of potential negative things to think about, so I will discuss the positives.

- Sid was apparently taken to a local hospital after the injury. Assuming he needs a procedure on his teeth, hopefully they're able to do that today, and he won't miss too much time. PRAYING that's all it is.

- Huge character win. Another slow start. Slow first period actually. But as has been the case during most of the streak, great team defense. Douglas Murray has played very well in his short time here so far, probably the best pickup IMO.

- Voukizzle. 2nd straight SO, 3rd overall for the team. That's incredible.

- PK was OUTSTANDING. Killed off a 5 minute major, and 1:40ish of that was 5-on-3.

- Good to see Neal score. As I said yesterday, he's so lost without Malkin.

- Iginla looked pretty good considering he hasn't even practiced with the team. I don't agree w/ them playing him in that situation, but it is what it is.

- Kunitz deserved his boarding call, but I don't think he should be suspended, but with what a joke the league's disicpline system is, we can almost assuredly prepare to play the next couple without him. With he and Sid out, I guess they welcome back Justin Deffrey and Vitale.