Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #176 (permalink)

hopefully he's ok. but i expect they'll be cautious with him either way.

and with the way they're playing, they can afford to be.

this is fun to watch!
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
hopefully he's ok. but i expect they'll be cautious with him either way.

and with the way they're playing, they can afford to be.

this is fun to watch!
Hope so.

Kinda bummed as I'm pretty sure he won't be playing next week when I see them at MSG. Really bummed actually . But it is what it is.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post

- Sid was apparently taken to a local hospital after the injury. Assuming he needs a procedure on his teeth, hopefully they're able to do that today, and he won't miss too much time. PRAYING that's all it is.
they're calling it "dental work," so hopefully that's the extent of it. i say whatever it is, don't rush him back.

agree with you on Murray. he's looked solid. Iginla looks like he's going to fit right in as well.

and Vokoun has been a machine. nice to have down the stretch.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Hope so.

Kinda bummed as I'm pretty sure he won't be playing next week when I see them at MSG. Really bummed actually . But it is what it is.

yeah, that's no good. he was out last time i saw them in LA too. disappointing.

but it's for the greater good!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah, that's no good. he was out last time i saw them in LA too. disappointing.

but it's for the greater good!
Yeah, it sucks!!

But you're right, let him heal.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #181 (permalink)

Quote:
- Kunitz deserved his boarding call, but I don't think he should be suspended, but with what a joke the league's disicpline system is, we can almost assuredly prepare to play the next couple without him. With he and Sid out, I guess they welcome back Justin Deffrey and Vitale.
How did he deserve it? He put a shoulder which was a good hit into him and that was it. The hit that knocked Malkin out this season was way worse that that and the guy didnt even get a penalty.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
How did he deserve it? He put a shoulder which was a good hit into him and that was it. The hit that knocked Malkin out this season was way worse that that and the guy didnt even get a penalty.
He shoulder bumped a dude who was headed toward the boards, from the side/back. I don't agree with it actually 'being' boarding, but that is going to be called 8 out of 10 times. The NHL views that type of hit as boarding. It is what it is.

Doesn't matter what the Florida player or Toronto player (I'm not sure what hit you're referring to, as there have been 2 questionable hits on Malkin) did. Do you actually think the officials in this league show any assemblance of consistency? Rick Nash's hit gets nothing, so that pretty much explains it.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #183 (permalink)
Banned

Keep me up on Sid's injury. I just got in from work and missed the game. Sucks I missed Iggy's first game. Praying for Sid and hoping Kunitz doesnt get suspended!! I really hope Malkin wants to stay a Penguin also. I think if they can keep Iggy and the current players he will want to stay with his guys. I just hope so, he is one of my favorite players!
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #184 (permalink)

cliffs on Sid:

- hit on mouth by a deflected Orpik slapper
- lost some teeth
- immediately taken to local hospital and had some dental work / oral surgery done
- multiple sources "claim" there is no c word suspected
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
cliffs on Sid:

- hit on mouth by a deflected Orpik slapper
- lost some teeth
- immediately taken to local hospital and had some dental work / oral surgery done
- multiple sources "claim" there is no c word suspected
Can't see how he would have sustained a concussion based on where the puck hit him, but you never know. It makes me nervous even hearing the word. Hopefully he just lost a few chiclets and he'll be back on the ice on Tuesday.

The way they're playing defense and the goaltending they're getting continues to amaze me. 3 straight shutouts and we haven't played Phoenix once.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Can't see how he would have sustained a c word based on where the puck hit him, but you never know. It makes me nervous even hearing the word. Hopefully he just lost a few chiclets and he'll be back on the ice on Tuesday.

The way they're playing defense and the goaltending they're getting continues to amaze me. 3 straight shutouts and we haven't played Phoenix once.
That's true, but that much force (a puck at that speed) hitting you in the mouth can cause trauma to the head/neck, and whiplash can certainly happen.

Fudge yeah to the second statement.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #187 (permalink)
Banned

Wonder when they will say if his jail was fractured when the puck hit him. I am hoping and praying. Guess that's all us Pens fans can do.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #188 (permalink)

Sid out indefinitely with a broken jaw.......awful.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #189 (permalink)

A potential season killer for Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh media has stated Sid's "expected by playoffs." As w/ all Penguins organization's and Pittsburgh media's statements, I don't believe it. They tend to grossly understate injury severity and recovery time. I know very little about jaw injuries, and the organization has declined to give any further details. In the small amount of research I've done, 4 weeks ("expected" recovery time) seems like an awful fast recovery time, even for a minor fracture. And that is for just normal activity, let alone professional hockey. I really don't see him back until the 2nd round, at the ABSOLUTE earliest.

I of course, will try to stay positive. However, that has done me little good the past 2 seasons with this club. The injuries in 10-11 and the awful defense of 11-12. Very tough to do so now. First, Letang goes back on IR, who knows how long he'll be out. I doubt the "7-10" days they quoted will be anywhere near the actual time he's out. Martin out 6 weeks, so he's gone for rest of the regular season, as well as the first round of the playoffs. Now Sid get's injured, and anyone with a brain in their skull will not believe he'll only be out 4 weeks. So essentially, we can prepare for the first round of the playoffs without Sid and Martin. I do not feel we'll hold onto the top spot in the East, but barring a complete collapse which I do not foresee (though it would not suprise me in the least), the team gets the 2nd seed. However, I predict that NJD will be the 7th seed. We will not beat them in a 7 game series. I know they're really not THAt good this year, but we have huge trouble scoring against them. Not a good opening series.

I know some people will counter back w/ "Oh we won yesterday without these guys." Well, one game vs a current non-playoff team is a lot different than a 7 game playoff series vs a great opponent. On the plus side, the team has been playing outstanding defnese and getting great goaltending. That will need to continue and then some if we have ANY hope of being a contender. I feel it CAN, but there will be games where we're going to need to score more than 2 goals, which I don't think we can do sans Sid. He's been involced in such an astronomical % of the teams goals, it's almost unreal. It won't continue w/o him. I believe Kunitz and Dupuis will continue to play solid, but will not put up anywhere near the numbers they did w/ Sid. Malkin, who has already missed time w/ 2 seperate injuries this season, has not been himself this year. He's not producing any points at even strength (at least not consistently). And on top of that, he has to stay healthy, which given the team's recent history (as well as his own) with injuries, we can only pray. So if Malkin goes down, James Neal will return to being invisible. He did NOTHING when Malkin was out. Sutter has had a very good season and I like his play a lot, but he's not good enough to be counted on offensively. He has certainly had some clutch goals, and now he needs to step up even more. Iginla looked good w/ Malkin and Neal, and I think he can be an important piece, and will hopefully gel on that line. Again though, if Malkin goes down, I don't see Iginla being a big point getter. On top of all that, our two by far most talented offensive defensemen are out in letang and Martin. This team is certainly good enough to win some games to finish out the regular season, but without Sid, they are not enough to win 7 game playoff series. There's no way we beat Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, NJD or Philly (I doubt Philly makes the playoffs, but if they do squeak in, we don't beat them). We might, MIGHT, be able to beat NYR, Carolina, Winnipeg or NYI if we draw one of them first round. Have to continue to root against MTL and Boston, hoping to hang onto that #1 seed.

My opinions here will invariably cause butt fudge, but I'm a realist, and this is how I currently see things right now. If we don't have Sid, we don't win in the playoffs, simple as that. As I said before, I try to be positive, but it hasn't gotten me anywhere except MORE frusterated the past 2 seasons, as I forced myself to believe the Pens could win in the playoffs, when I knew they couldn't.

Oh my, how 2 days can change things. So many people had already crowned their a$$ses. But above all, GO PENS!!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #190 (permalink)

I share most of your concerns and all of your disappointment.

Malkin needs to turn it back up, Letang needs to get healthy and the recent trades need to live up to the hype.

I wasn't ready to crown them quite yet anyway, and this makes it a tougher road, but I'm not counting them out yet either.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Malkin needs to turn it back up, Letang needs to get healthy and the recent trades need to live up to the hype.
Good to hear someone who understands.

Your absolutely right on all three of those. Malkin needs to do what he usually does when Sid is out, and that's be an absolute beast.

I'm not saying everyone crowned them, but it just seemed like so many people on every forum, every website were predicting they'd win the Cup.

Last edited by ncm7772; 04-01-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #192 (permalink)

I didn't engrave their names on anything just yet, but I think they'll be okay without Sid for a bit. He's not wired, which from what I've read means a little bit easier recovery. I'm not worried about the regular season at all - it would take an absolute disaster for the Pens to not win the division, and even their luck isn't that bad. They might not win the President's Trophy, but who cares? No one remembers the regular season champ anyway.

If they can survive a first round playoff series without Sid (and I think they can), then he should be back for the second round. Martin's timetable for recovery has him returning at right around the same time. And if Letang can avoid any ADDITIONAL injuries, they should be at full strength by the time the second round starts.

All if that is just a long winded way of saying I'm not worried.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #193 (permalink)

Ugh man best of luck for recovery quickly for Crosby, Malkin time to go BEAST MODE!!
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #194 (permalink)

From the Post-Gazette this morning:

"The type of jaw surgery that Sidney Crosby endured last weekend after being hit in the face with a puck should, at the latest, allow him to return to game action by the time the playoffs begin in a month, experts say.

"As long as he keeps his nourishment up -- and he should since he's not wired shut -- he should be good to go in three to four weeks," said David Dattilo, director of oral and maxillofacial surgery for West Penn Allegheny Health System.

The timing and the jaw injury itself appear to be similar to what Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger experienced in 2006 when his motorcycle collided with a car whose driver failed to yield and turned left in front of him. The accident occurred a month before preseason camp was to begin.

Mr. Roethlisberger, who was not wearing a helmet, also did not have his jaw wired shut and was in camp on time that year.

If all goes well in three to four weeks, Dr. Dattilo said, Mr. Crosby won't even necessarily need special headgear to protect his jaw "because his jaw will be just as strong as before, and probably stronger because it will be metal-reinforced."
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #195 (permalink)

That first period was arguably the worst period of the season. I can't say a while lot about Vokoun after the way he's been playing, but those are saves you need to make.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
That first period was arguably the worst period of the season. I can't say a while lot about Vokoun after the way he's been playing, but those are saves you need to make.
i'd agree with you on that 1st period... except the 2nd period might be worse.

this is ugly.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #197 (permalink)

2nd has been even worse. I am not complaining that the team is losing, I'm complaining that there's no effort anywhere. The streak had to come to an end sometime, but I didnt want it to end this way. Piss poor performance
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #198 (permalink)

Time to start a new streak. Morrow needs to pick it up a little. He seems a little lost out there. Hopefully tonight ends better.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #199 (permalink)

Just one of those games - they took 'em lightly and got what they deserved. Not too concerned - if they sleepwalk tonight I'll be a bit more concerned. Hopefully this will end the "TK as first line center" experiment - put Jeffrey on the first line (well, whatever you want to call the Kunitz-Dupuis line) and put TK back on the 3rd line. I'd love to see TK scratched and Vitale in the lineup, but Disco loves TK so you know that's not gonna happen.

One other thing - I love the kid, but Despres needs some new skates. He blows a tire more often than anyone on the team. I know the ice is lousy at the Consol but no one else seems to fall so much.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #200 (permalink)
Banned

I hope Malkin, and Neal can wake up and get out of this funk they've been in!! Or its not gonna be good for the Pens. I personally love Geno, but it seems as though when he gets the puck, he just try's to do some highlight play, when he could be setting someone up like Sid does. If Sid can't come back for the playoffs, I dont see the Pens making it past round 2. I hope Iggy can get the guys together and lead us, if not get threw to Malkin and Neal and get them all scoring. Far as Vokoun goes, just another one of his terrible games. He's only had one or two of them, but when he has them he looks bad.