Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Penguins 2013 Thread

Thoughts on the team through the first 1/3 of the season?

As a Pens fan, I'll give my opinions.

GOOD:
- Team is doing well, record-wise.
- Offense is scoring enough, for the most part.
- First line (Crosby/Kunitz/Dupuis) has been solid the past 8 or so games, after a fairly poor start.
- Defense has been playing well. Still some breakdowns here and there, but MUCH less ugly than the last 1/3 of 2011-12, and the abomination that was the 2012 playoffs.
- Both MAF and Vokoun have looked good. I still think Fleury let's in too many softies and his rebound control is awful as usual, he's stolen a couple games this year.
- Paul Martin. Dude, where was this the past 2 seasons?
- Neal's shot. Other than that, he hasn't done much.
- PP is OK. They still pass the damn puck too much, and there have been some games early on where it was abysmal, they've scored a PP goal in 8 straight, so they're doing something right. If they'd actually shoot the dman puck more, they'd probably have a 5-6% better conversion rate.
- 8-2 on the road. That's pretty darn good. And with how pathetic the fans in Consol Energy Center sound, I wouldn't mind all their games being away from home.

BAD
- I do think MAF has played well, but I think they're using him too much. He has shown in the past that he gets exhausted when facing a heavier-than-usual regular season load. His stats show that the few regular season games he plays, the better his playoff performance is. Vokoun needs to play more.
- Malkin. Yeah, he has set up plenty of plays, but come on. 3 goals in 16 games? He needs to be better. His last 5 games have been particularly frusterating to watch. And to exacerbate this, he takes so many stupid retalitory penalties.
- The whole Malkin line. Malkin/Geno/Scrub (whoever it is on a given night) has combined for 2 even strength goals. Pathetic.
- The defense has been decent, but they still have a tendency to let dudes sit WIDE open in the slot. I just don't get that.
- Penalty Kill. It hasn't been BAD, but the Pens have been near the top of the league the past few seasons in PK%, and they're hovering around the middle thus far.
- The team very rarely plays w/ passion. I'd day around half the time, if not more, they just go through the motions, other than the 4th line. Was nice to see some fire and drive in the 3rd period vs Buffalo today.
- Bylsma needs to be fired. His system simply doesn't work vs top teams. They did absolutely nothing vs NJD. Yes they beat them 5-1 two weeks ago, but benefitted from a poor game out of Brodeur.
- Tyler Kennedy. Dude is just abysmal this season. Just bad.

I could go on a little more, but I won't. Just want to share my thoughts, and see other's thoughts.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!

Last edited by ncm7772; 02-17-2013 at 08:21 PM.
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

For all their faults and for as lackluster they have played this season, they are still #1 in the Eastern Conference. (Which doesn't say much about the conference). They still need to prove they can beat the good teams in the East, which they haven't yet. Doesn't look like we'll have to worry about the Flyers this year!
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just read this briefly, but one point I will contest is I don't think they're using MAF enough. Too much Vokoun can be breaking fleurys rhythm. He's never really given a chance to get warm and link a few games together. I do believe MAF is playing well but definitely reeling from some serious defensive breakdowns in front of him.
PensFan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I see where you're coming from, but I really like the idea of keeping him fresh. MAF seems to me, at least, to have random poor games, I don't think he's a rhythm guy. But that's just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
For all their faults and for as lackluster they have played this season, they are still #1 in the Eastern Conference. (Which doesn't say much about the conference). They still need to prove they can beat the good teams in the East, which they haven't yet. Doesn't look like we'll have to worry about the Flyers this year!
Think again...I am hoping for a 7/2 matchup in the playoffs for the entertainment value...Maybe some day the Pens will not let the Flyers get in their heads. They should have started Fluery.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Solt-stradamus the cowardly flyers hate/pens super-homer strikes again!!!

The "#1 team in the East" sure has a problem beating a team that you "won't have to worry about" tonight.

The Flyers have absolutely made the Pens their b*tch recently....and they absolutely have owned them on your home ice.

Oh yeah, FLYERS SUCK!!!! !!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

Starting Fleury wouldn't have helped. The fact remains that neither of these two teams are good enough to get out of the first round of the playoffs unless they make some serious changes. It's really hard to say who's defensive system is actually worse.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

yeah starting Fleury last night wouldn't have made a difference IMO.

The Flyers are in the heads of the Penguins and have really owned them the past couple years. Just like the Rangers are in the heads of the Flyers.

But that felt like a game 7 last night. And I'd take a rivarly this strong and heated every day of the week. It was a great game.
avjp87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here's what infuriated me last night: Couturier cross checks Malkin 4 or 5 times in the back along the boards and the refs just watch it happen. Then, as they're skating back towards the slot, he cross checks him again, this time IN THE FACE! THEN, when Malkin retaliates, HE gets the extra penalty!!! It's just unbelievable.

There's only one way to counteract the Flyers' cheap #@#@#@#@ that gets in the Pens' heads - INITATE!!! Everyone knows they always get the guy who retaliates, so initiate the cheap #@#@#@#@ and let the Flyers get called when they respond.

Oh, and memo to Disco Dan - the home team has the last line change. Do you think maybe it might be a good idea to get Malkin off the ice when Couturier is on? Since, you know, Couturier seems to do to Malkin what Ulf used to do to Neely.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Solt-stradamus the cowardly flyers hate/pens super-homer strikes again!!!

The "#1 team in the East" sure has a problem beating a team that you "won't have to worry about" tonight.

The Flyers have absolutely made the Pens their b*tch recently....and they absolutely have owned them on your home ice.

Oh yeah, FLYERS SUCK!!!! !!!!
Hate to say it, but not much here I can disagree with.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Starting Fleury wouldn't have helped. The fact remains that neither of these two teams are good enough to get out of the first round of the playoffs unless they make some serious changes. It's really hard to say who's defensive system is actually worse.
You start Fleury because you have to win the Cup with Fleury...He needs as many regular season games against the Flyers as possible...He needs to be on the ice in the big games.

If it comes down to Flyers/Pens in a playoff series you want Fleury in net..Fleury has the potential to steal games in the playoffs...Vokun is a back up nothing more.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

Malkin will now be out indefinitely with a concussion.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Malkin will now be out indefinitely with a concussion.
he should get a nose job since he has the time.

ugliest dude in the nhl
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

I see the Flyers are now in the #8 spot in the East.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Flyer pens may be the best current rivalry In sports. My hate for the pens is up there with the cowboys.

Last edited by adamrosen; 02-24-2013 at 11:08 AM.
adamrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I see the Flyers are now in the #8 spot in the East.
ok?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrosen View Post
Flyer pens may be the best current rively I sports. My hate for the pens in up there with the cowboys.
The penguins have surpassed the cowboys in my book for most hated at the moment
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

I agree the are very close in hatred but we're talking about the cowboys here. In Philadelphia, your born hating the cowboys, and Dallas as a whole
For that matter. They play march 7th in Philly. I haven't looked forward to a regular season game as much as this one in a while
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Flyer pens may be the best current rivalry In sports. My hate for the pens is up there with the cowboys.
Never watched a Habs/Bruins game huh?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree the are very close in hatred but we're talking about the cowboys here. In Philadelphia, your born hating the cowboys, and Dallas as a whole
For that matter. They play march 7th in Philly. I haven't looked forward to a regular season game as much as this one in a while
true, but there's no one on the Eagles or Cowboys who can actually say they hate the opposing team, and mean it, know what I mean?

Like Crosby hates the Flyers, he comes out and says it. Giroux hates the Penguins, he comes out and says it. And both teams have been good recently over the years.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Never watched a Habs/Bruins game huh?
Those are awesome games to watch too. But I agree when saying flyers/penguins is the best rivalry right now.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Great point. The players do really hate each other and I love that.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

Malkin out for at least 3 games with a concussion. Abysml sya she will not make the upcoming road trip.

Sid needs to continue to produce similarly to the way he did last night while Malkin's out.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

Interesting line combo last night of Crosby-Neal-Kunitz. I like it. I would not be opposed to trading Malkin this year before the deadline. His contract is up after next year and would be nice to get some tough, gritty style players for the playoffs. Would never happen though as that would a kink into the Bylsma "system".
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Malkin out for at least 3 games with a concussion. Abysml sya she will not make the upcoming road trip.

Sid needs to continue to produce similarly to the way he did last night while Malkin's out.
Quote:
Interesting line combo last night of Crosby-Neal-Kunitz. I like it. I would not be opposed to trading Malkin this year before the deadline. His contract is up after next year and would be nice to get some tough, gritty style players for the playoffs. Would never happen though as that would a kink into the Bylsma "system".
his head hit the boards so damn hard, I was surprised he wasn't knocked unconscious
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

I would very opposed. Though I see where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
his head hit the boards so damn hard, I was surprised he wasn't knocked unconscious
Same here. He's luck that it's only (well, at this point it seems to be) a minor concussion.